RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rear suspension squeek

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 11:16 PM
garfull
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear suspension squeek

Anyone else notice a squeek noise from the rear suspension when going over big bumps or humps, even going in or out tall driveways?
Old 05-08-10, 09:49 AM
pulp
Rookie

yes, i have the rear squeaking, it wasn't there when i first got the RX but appeared after 15,000km or so.

like you said it happens when going over big bumps or potholes at first i thought it was from the interior but i tried padding every part that might squeak in the rear interior and the noise is still there.

dealer was courteous about it and replaced rear shock absorbers [they claimed the shock absorbers were leaking] but the noise is still there even after they did that.
Old 05-08-10, 11:18 AM
garfull
Rookie

Mines happened right after I got it back from the 10k. I brought it back and they said it was a loose spare but its not. My guess is its either the shock toppers or the torsion bushing on the rear suspension arm. Ill call service again and see if they will attemp to fix it again.
Old 05-08-10, 02:02 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this, too... It happens after 11K. It's not squeaking on all the bumps or holes, but it seems to happen more and more frequently.
Old 05-09-10, 06:54 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope this is not something to look forward to when I hit over 10k
Old 05-10-10, 03:13 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Had our shocks replaced too...it went away if you take out the shocks and just ride the springs, so it wasn't the other rear suspension components, though I can't recommend driving too far without shocks.
Old 05-10-10, 05:26 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

This week my car will be in for the checkup. I guess I may have to be the dealership twice in order to have this fixed...
Old 05-19-10, 11:17 AM
pulp
Rookie

had the RX in for maintenance and they attempted again to fix the rear squeaking by lubricating rear suspension and brakes components.

when driving it out of the dealership the squeaking was not gone but improved. However a few days later its back like before. no improvement.

afpj, they have replaced both rear shock absorbers in mine already and that didn't fix the problem, was it fixed in yours?
Old 05-19-10, 05:34 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxets
This week my car will be in for the checkup. I guess I may have to be the dealership twice in order to have this fixed...
As I guess, it will take at least 2 visits to get this done. Not too many dealership carries all the parts. It took almost 4 hours to complete their inspection and works. First of all, they thought it's the rear seat against the rail or the rear door against the frame or tonneau cover rattle or the spare tire rub against the bottom of trunk. They greased all over and adjust all the stuff. The squeaking noise still exists. After a few more test-drives, they determined to replace the rear coil spring. However, they're in the backorder now. They "believe" my case is more related to coil sprint instead of shock absorber. Who knows!? Let's see how it works in 1-2 weeks.
Old 05-20-10, 07:42 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

pulp,

yes, replacing our rear shocks fixed the problem. HOwever, it took a nearly a week as they tried a couple different sets before they went to a "newer" design, and that finally eliminated the noise. We have 23k miles on it. What that newer design entails, I'm not entirely sure. Wasn't a fancy monotube design, but supposedly different valving compared to the ones that originally came with the car. Our car was born APR 09 in Japan, just FYI.
Old 05-28-10, 07:04 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

5-10-10, This week my car will be in for the checkup. I guess I may have to be the dealership twice in order to have this fixed...
5-19-10, As I guess, it will take at least 2 visits to get this done. Not too many dealership carries all the parts. It took almost 4 hours to complete their inspection and works. First of all, they thought it's the rear seat against the rail or the rear door against the frame or tonneau cover rattle or the spare tire rub against the bottom of trunk. They greased all over and adjust all the stuff. The squeaking noise still exists. After a few more test-drives, they determined to replace the rear coil spring. However, they're in the backorder now. They "believe" my case is more related to coil sprint instead of shock absorber. Who knows!? Let's see how it works in 1-2 weeks.
5-28-10, Updated.

Previously Lexus dealer told me it's possibly caused by "coil" and ordered the parts. A few days ago, the dealership received the shock absorber kit and replaced mine. I haven't heard any squeeking noise anymore.

Well, as rest of users said above, replacing the shock absorber does fix this issue. At least, it works so far.
Old 05-28-10, 11:29 PM
garfull
Rookie

The lexus tech told me that some shocks squeek and some don't. The service bulletin says to keep replacing shocks until the noise goes away. Sounds like a quality defect iin the part that they cannot isolate and fix yet.
Old 05-29-10, 01:11 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't told there is the TSB about this. Anyway, the parts are actually backordered, this may explain what's going on.
Old 05-30-10, 09:41 AM
mogy2010Rx
Driver School Candidate

Information about a TSB would be very interesting, as I too have that elusive rear end squeak. After rolling around in the back of the car with my ear to the floor and side of the interior several times, we decided to delve further. This weekend my husband and I took off the rear wheel, pulled off the inner liner and looked for anything that could be rubbing, found nothing. On a whim (and because the squeak stops after we drive in the rain) we sprayed water on the shock,(which looked like had rust around the top), put the tire back on and drove. It squeaked a few times, and then no squeak. I think we too have narrowed it down to the shock. It is under warranty, so its back to the dealer.
Just a note::: I have had prior experience with noises in cars and the dealers just say thats a hard thing to pin down, which I can understand, that is why we wanted to give them a starting point. I have had dealers tell me they found the "rattle", that is was a coffee cup in the cup holder, which was not the case. Another time they sprayed the entire underside with some sort of lube, very messy. Also, make sure you take any and all things out of the car that they can say may be making the noise. They will stop looking, you will pick up the car, still have the noise and will be back at the dealer, with double the frustration.
Will report back on what they do, but will definately show them these forum postings as an added clue......
Old 05-30-10, 05:29 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mogy2010Rx
Information about a TSB would be very interesting, as I too have that elusive rear end squeak. After rolling around in the back of the car with my ear to the floor and side of the interior several times, we decided to delve further. This weekend my husband and I took off the rear wheel, pulled off the inner liner and looked for anything that could be rubbing, found nothing. On a whim (and because the squeak stops after we drive in the rain) we sprayed water on the shock,(which looked like had rust around the top), put the tire back on and drove. It squeaked a few times, and then no squeak. I think we too have narrowed it down to the shock. It is under warranty, so its back to the dealer.
Just a note::: I have had prior experience with noises in cars and the dealers just say thats a hard thing to pin down, which I can understand, that is why we wanted to give them a starting point. I have had dealers tell me they found the "rattle", that is was a coffee cup in the cup holder, which was not the case. Another time they sprayed the entire underside with some sort of lube, very messy. Also, make sure you take any and all things out of the car that they can say may be making the noise. They will stop looking, you will pick up the car, still have the noise and will be back at the dealer, with double the frustration.
Will report back on what they do, but will definately show them these forum postings as an added clue......
It seemed you couple did lots of works prior to visiting the dealer. I did some, too. I also removed all my stuff out of trunk/car, but my dealer still took about 4 hours to figure out what's gonig on. After a few test-drives with me together, they were able to replicate the noise and narrow down issues related to the rear suspensions. Long story short. I don't believe the TSB was ready at that time. I told them problems could be caused by shocks... they didn't believe so... Anyway, they almost lubricated all the back parts of my car, too. LOL. I know dealers sometimes hate customers to tell them where the problems are...

Quick Reply: rear suspension squeek