RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is Heads Up Display (HUD) worth it

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 07:29 AM
mefromfl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Heads Up Display (HUD) worth it

Anyone with the HUD? is it worth it to get and is the luxuary package worth it also?

I'm kind of confuse with what comes with luxuary package.
Old 03-10-10, 07:41 AM
icmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mefromfl
Anyone with the HUD? is it worth it to get and is the luxuary package worth it also?

Yes and Yes

My wife is extremely happy with hers. So that makes it worth it for me.

Go to Lexus.com and look under pricing & options for RX. Scroll way down the list and the Luxury options will be listed.
Old 03-10-10, 08:29 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Luxury package and love it. I initially was not going to get it but the exact RX I wanted only came this way. The HUD is great, I did not think I would like it but I do, it works great.

With the Luxury you get the semi-aniline leather, the front seat cushion extenders(great if you're tall), illuminated door sills, power moon roof, power rear door, 19" wheels, wood steering wheel and shifter, head light washers, side view camera, and my favorite feature the power folding mirrors. The side view camera is great as I always hug the curb when I park. This has already saved me many a scuffed tire.

The HUD, park assist, Mark Levinson are additions to the Luxury. Pre packaged.
Old 03-10-10, 09:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought HUD might be distracting but I am enjoying it. I like how it shows the directions (arrows) when you have nav guidance on.

Now I don't have the luxury package but I have a few options from it in mine. I had to special order though.
Old 03-10-10, 10:15 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Semi-aniline leather-trimmed interior
Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
Front-seat power cushion extender
Lexus Memory System to control power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade
USB audio input for iPod [24]/compatible music player integration with audio system
Rear-armrest storage compartment with cover
LED-illuminated front door sills
Power rear door
Headlamp washers
Wide-view Side Monitor System [26]
Power-folding electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors
19 x 7.5-in seven-spoke alloy wheels with 235/55VR19 all-season tires [27]
Smog-sensing automatic recirculation mode for climate-control system
Luxury package is the one I would get
Old 03-10-10, 11:51 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my mom was looking at the dealership, the sales associate said that when you wear polarized sunglasses, the HUD is nearly impossible to view.
Old 03-10-10, 11:59 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stonefan52
When my mom was looking at the dealership, the sales associate said that when you wear polarized sunglasses, the HUD is nearly impossible to view.
Polarized sunglasses try to eliminate glare. The HUD is 'glare' by design read from a specially prepared area on the w/s reflecting what the lens in the dash in projecting. So... Wear your polarized sunglasses, don't see the HUD
Old 03-10-10, 12:23 PM
Nocaster7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
Semi-aniline leather-trimmed interior
Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
Front-seat power cushion extender
Lexus Memory System to control power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade
USB audio input for iPod [24]/compatible music player integration with audio system
Rear-armrest storage compartment with cover
LED-illuminated front door sills
Power rear door
Headlamp washers
Wide-view Side Monitor System [26]
Power-folding electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors
19 x 7.5-in seven-spoke alloy wheels with 235/55VR19 all-season tires [27]
Smog-sensing automatic recirculation mode for climate-control system
Luxury package is the one I would get

I think one or two of those may be standard like the "power rear door" and "power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade".

Also, I have the USB input (non-luxury).
Old 03-10-10, 12:25 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I have the Luxury package and love it. I initially was not going to get it but the exact RX I wanted only came this way. The HUD is great, I did not think I would like it but I do, it works great.

With the Luxury you get the semi-aniline leather, the front seat cushion extenders(great if you're tall), illuminated door sills, power moon roof, power rear door, 19" wheels, wood steering wheel and shifter, head light washers, side view camera, and my favorite feature the power folding mirrors. The side view camera is great as I always hug the curb when I park. This has already saved me many a scuffed tire.

The HUD, park assist, Mark Levinson are additions to the Luxury. Pre packaged.
Our RX has all the features you mention including the park assist, Mark Levinson, but no HUD. It's just not an option I thought I would not use. When I discovered it didn't work with polarized sunglasses I knew it would have limited use for me. For the past 15 years I don't seem to be able to live without polarized sunglasses. I do not want to derail this thread but the cushion extenders have meant the world to me in terms of comfort. In our 04 and 07 my legs would go numb.
Old 03-10-10, 12:39 PM
np0531
Rookie

Well I am assuming you will be driving at night time as well...so yes, its worth it. =P

I was driving a loaner 2010 RX last week without the HUD, and I found that it was quite annoying to have to actually look at the instrument panel to check my speed.

Is it a necessity? No. Is it a useful feature for people who drive at night and don't wear polarized sun glasses during the day? Yes.

That and selecting music tracks is much easier since tracks are displayed on the HUD as you scroll. If you notice it doesn't do that on the NAV screen...you have to wait for the song to start playing before the track number, and tag info shows up.

Go to the dealer and try it out, and see if you like it.
Old 03-10-10, 12:50 PM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mefromfl

Wasnt worth it to me. My RX has everything but the HUD. It wasnt worth the extra money. I think it was almost a 2k option.
Old 03-10-10, 01:18 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by np0531
Well I am assuming you will be driving at night time as well...so yes, its worth it. =P

I was driving a loaner 2010 RX last week without the HUD, and I found that it was quite annoying to have to actually look at the instrument panel to check my speed.

Is it a necessity? No. Is it a useful feature for people who drive at night and don't wear polarized sun glasses during the day? Yes.

That and selecting music tracks is much easier since tracks are displayed on the HUD as you scroll. If you notice it doesn't do that on the NAV screen...you have to wait for the song to start playing before the track number, and tag info shows up.

Go to the dealer and try it out, and see if you like it.
Yes, I tried it out both day and night. It's just not an option that I want. I can see where it would be handy for the things you mention, but I'm not one who plays with the stereo much. I put it one place and leave it. I have owned two cars with the Mark L stereo. I won't even get started with what I think of that little $1500 option. I only order it from fear the standard stereo is even worse.
Old 03-10-10, 01:35 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to have that option, but you can only get it from the speical order or the full-loaded RX at the time I got my car.
Old 03-10-10, 02:27 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think one or two of those may be standard like the "power rear door" and "power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade".

Also, I have the USB input (non-luxury).
some of those options are also part of the premium package which is what you probably have, as almost all RXs will have at least that, because it includes leather. Therefore, there are some duplicates between the two packages
Old 03-10-10, 03:41 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
some of those options are also part of the premium package which is what you probably have, as almost all RXs will have at least that, because it includes leather. Therefore, there are some duplicates between the two packages
AGREED

Quick Reply: Is Heads Up Display (HUD) worth it