RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hybrid vs Conventional -- Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 05:55 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid vs Conventional -- Consumer Reports

Does anyone get Consumer Reports?

If so please correct me if I have the numbers wrong.

After a quick news stand reading, it looked like they had the RX 450h
gas mileage @ 15 city, 31 highway, 26 combined. They went on to conclude that the hybrid was a bad investment, costing $3000 more than the conventional RX during the course of ownership.

We've discussed the value added by the upgraded trim of the hybrid package and how this is partially recouped at resale, but the Consumer Reports conclusion is a downer. I hope I read it wrong.
Old 02-22-10, 06:15 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
Does anyone get Consumer Reports?

If so please correct me if I have the numbers wrong.

After a quick news stand reading, it looked like they had the RX 450h
gas mileage @ 15 city, 31 highway, 26 combined. They went on to conclude that the hybrid was a bad investment, costing $3000 more than the conventional RX during the course of ownership.

We've discussed the value added by the upgraded trim of the hybrid package and how this is partially recouped at resale, but the Consumer Reports conclusion is a downer. I hope I read it wrong.
That is based on the mileage they observed for both vehicles and what they estimate as to the period of ownership - your's may differ and that would affect the calculation. Also, it is quite likely that gas prices will increase in the future and that will shift the equation toward the more efficient hybrid. However, Consumer Union is not the only organization that reached the conclusion that there is no economic benefit to the buyer to justify the increased cost of the hybrid. I would not recommend purchasing the hybrid if your main intention is relatively short term value added. There are other reasons for buying a hybrid.
Old 02-22-10, 10:09 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

you dont buy a hybrid to save money in the end, that is the completely wrong reason. You buy it for the added power, the added quietness in the cabin, the eco benefits (CO2, smog), and the rareness of the vehicle
Old 02-22-10, 10:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
you dont buy a hybrid to save money in the end, that is the completely wrong reason. You buy it for the added power, the added quietness in the cabin, the eco benefits (CO2, smog), and the rareness of the vehicle
Thank you

Plus with the additional features and trim as standard equipment, it's a model step up to the top of the line. But there will always be those that don't get that. Both cars are great but if you look at it that way so is the Toyota Highlander. Some of us took a step 'UP'. Better mileage along with the CVT tranny and horsepower make it all worthwhile. I found a link recently that discussed how Lexus comes up with the different number designations. the '450' signifies the 'It performs like a 4.5L V8' . And yep, we do get great mileage (my '03 RX averaged 19, now I'm averaging 29+) and are greener to boot.

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-22-10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 12:45 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

I've really enjoyed mine so far. Fabulous machine, different road feel than my X5 but very competent. The hybrid feeds my inner geek, and the fuel savings is a bonus. Less gas is less gas, and I'm happier with the Japanese getting my dollars than those who sell us oil and hate us for buying it. What hypocrites. Hypocrites isn't the best word, but whatever they are I'm giving them less business and that feels like the right thing to do.

I still can't get used to coming into stalled traffic and watching the mileage go UP. I'm averaging 27 mpg on regular. My X5 was 18-19 mpg on premium. That change feels right, too.

The article in CR bothered me with its shallow analysis, and because I know many people will read that and think no further. Sure, CR does not accept ads so they won't be biased, but they can be unbiased and and incompetent at the same time, and often are.

Anyway, we know the truth and that's good enough.
Old 02-22-10, 01:00 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
I've really enjoyed mine so far. Fabulous machine, different road feel than my X5 but very competent. The hybrid feeds my inner geek, and the fuel savings is a bonus. Less gas is less gas, and I'm happier with the Japanese getting my dollars than those who sell us oil and hate us for buying it. What hypocrites. Hypocrites isn't the best word, but whatever they are I'm giving them less business and that feels like the right thing to do.

I still can't get used to coming into stalled traffic and watching the mileage go UP. I'm averaging 27 mpg on regular. My X5 was 18-19 mpg on premium. That change feels right, too.

The article in CR bothered me with its shallow analysis, and because I know many people will read that and think no further. Sure, CR does not accept ads so they won't be biased, but they can be unbiased and and incompetent at the same time, and often are.

Anyway, we know the truth and that's good enough.
The Consumer Reports article has a place for owner comments. I left mine, go leave yours too. It gives a way to rebut something they said you don't agree with.
Old 02-22-10, 02:42 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The Consumer Reports article has a place for owner comments. I left mine, go leave yours too. It gives a way to rebut something they said you don't agree with.
Thanks. I'll do that.

CR holds an interesting place in public discourse. I know people who are very educated, very intelligent, and normally very thoughtful, but they will stand by a CR recommendation despite clear and overwhelming proof that the product is a turkey, sometimes even if they hate the product. Crazy stuff.
Old 02-22-10, 02:42 PM
Saurabh
Rookie

Does the RX450h really preform like a v8 4.5L? I have one, but I have never pushed it to its "limits" yet. Again I have never owned a V8, so I wouldnt know what I am feeling in the first place.
Old 02-22-10, 02:45 PM
RXSF

lol maybe a 4.5 liter V8 from an american car maker, they usually dont put a lot of horsepower out, haha
Old 02-22-10, 02:49 PM
Saurabh
Rookie

I drove the car the other day, and it made it to 80mph without me even realizing. So it does in fact pack power =)
Old 02-22-10, 03:31 PM
Cruiter

lol maybe a 4.5 liter V8 from an american car maker, they usually dont put a lot of horsepower out, haha
RXSF, the claim is real. That IS how Lexus does their names and numerical designations. And yes, with the CVT and new 3.5L w/electric motor addition it adds up to 295 HP. Drive one, warm it up right and pass someone on a two lane country road. I won't say sex isn't better but ......

The 'RX' means crossover and the 450 means it acts like it's a 4.5L Lexus.
Old 02-22-10, 03:41 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

RXSF, the claim is real. That IS how Lexus does their names and numerical designations. And yes, with the CVT and new 3.5L w/electric motor addition it adds up to 295 HP. Drive one, warm it up right and pass someone on a two lane country road. I won't say sex isn't better but ......

thanks, that's really cool. Never knew that.

I must say that the CVT changes the hard accelerating experience substantially. Even a very smooth shifting automatic imposes very perceptible stages to the feeling of acceleration. Not so with the CVT. I try to imagine I can feel the electrics kick in on hard sprints, but I have to honestly say I cannot.

Acceleration comes in a smooth wave and just keeps building until the laws of physics or the law of the land come into play.

Or maybe common sense.

Naw, not common sense. Never.

The machines scoots when I need it to, that's what I'm after. If I had wanted a boy racer I would have sprung for a Porsche Carrera.
Old 02-22-10, 06:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

What issue is this article in? I read CR cover to cover when I receive it and haven't seen this. Last issue was a few weeks ago. In the mail maybe?

I know I didn't save money with the 450h. That's ok with me. I was more interested in the technology and yes, being more eco friendly. I'm a city driver mostly. And there's nothing like it out there.

Fogcutter, I had to laugh when I read your comment about the 450h appealing to your inner geek. Within a day or two of picking up mine, I felt like I was driving a nerd mobile. So I named him Urkel
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (02-24-20)
Old 02-22-10, 07:11 PM
RXSF

yes, i know that this is how they name their hybrids. Im just saying a modern 4.5 liter V8 will produce way more power than 295, so lets not kid ourselves. i.e. bmw's new line of turbo V8s use a 4.4 liter to put out 400+ horsepower. my comment above was to reference american engines that usually have a big displacement but little horsepower, like the latest 4.5 liter V8 on dodge ram trucks which put out a little bit over 300 horsepower
Old 02-22-10, 07:56 PM
JB330Ci
Driver School Candidate

yes, i know that this is how they name their hybrids. Im just saying a modern 4.5 liter V8 will produce way more power than 295, so lets not kid ourselves. i.e. bmw's new line of turbo V8s use a 4.4 liter to put out 400+ horsepower. my comment above was to reference american engines that usually have a big displacement but little horsepower, like the latest 4.5 liter V8 on dodge ram trucks which put out a little bit over 300 horsepower
Even non-turbo v8 4.0 liter, BMW M3 puts out 414 HP...with linear torque all the way up to 8,000 RPM...vroom vroom....X5M with 4.4 liter v8 non turbo...555HP.

Last edited by JB330Ci; 02-22-10 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Hybrid vs Conventional -- Consumer Reports