RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Facing Infant Seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 09:49 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_p
tazdevl- I cannot comment on the chicco, however, britax is one of the few companies to actually crash test their car seats. [/url]
Check out consumer reports.

Cheers.
Old 02-18-12, 04:10 AM
Baby2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've researched child safety seats extensively. Though consumer reports does "overall" score chicco keyfit higher than britax, the chicco receives a "very good" crash protection rating vs. britax chaperone's "excellent" rating. Each seat has pros/cons, but both are great choices.
Old 02-18-12, 04:18 AM
Baby2012
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Child Car Seat Installation

I have a 2012 rx 350 and am unsure whether to use LATCH in the center rear seat. The owner manual of the rx states there are dedicated latch anchors for the rear passenger and rear driver side seats, however it does not specifically state center latch use is not recommended.

We have purchased the britax chaperone infant car seat. Britax states it is compatible with latch anchors 11-20 inches apart if the vehicle manufacturer allows. This seat has a wider/longer base compared to other car seats.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know seat belt use is also an option, but I would prefer to use LATCH. My husband and I are not interested in side installation as repeated studies and recommendations demonstrate center seat placement as the safest, not to mention common sense as well.

Any relevant input or experience is appreciated!
Old 10-05-12, 11:02 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not supposed to use the two inner latches to secure the babyseat down the center. They are spaced too far for the babyseat to work right. You can use the twist seatbelt and engage in the lock
Old 10-06-12, 09:57 PM
Jenny631
Driver School Candidate

Question Britax seat seated forward

Hi
I'm new to the forum. Was curious if anyone has placed a car seat or specifically a Britax to the center? My daughter faces forward now ad her seat is behind the passenger's seat.
Old 10-06-12, 11:16 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

You just have to use the seatbelt lock, which works fine too except it is harder to do
Old 10-07-12, 01:39 PM
longhorn99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Baby2012
I have a 2012 rx 350 and am unsure whether to use LATCH in the center rear seat. The owner manual of the rx states there are dedicated latch anchors for the rear passenger and rear driver side seats, however it does not specifically state center latch use is not recommended.

We have purchased the britax chaperone infant car seat. Britax states it is compatible with latch anchors 11-20 inches apart if the vehicle manufacturer allows. This seat has a wider/longer base compared to other car seats.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know seat belt use is also an option, but I would prefer to use LATCH. My husband and I are not interested in side installation as repeated studies and recommendations demonstrate center seat placement as the safest, not to mention common sense as well.

Any relevant input or experience is appreciated!
We are pretty much in the same position as you, except that we have a 2008 RX350 in which we are installing the Britax Chaperone. We also prefer to install the car seat in the rear center seat using the LATCH system. As you stated (and despite others' incorrect input), my Lexus owner's manual does not specifically prohibit using the center seat with the LATCH, and Britax states that you can use the center seat with LATCH as long as the anchors are less than 20 inches apart. I would prefer to use the LATCH system, but when I installed it in the center seat using the LATCH (using the two innermost anchors), there is a tad too much side to side movement. I tried using the seat belt installation option to secure the car seat, and used the method described above and twisted the seat belt, and I got it pretty tight. But ,I don't like how the seat belt strap hangs out and I still prefer to use the LATCH. If anyone has actually successfully installed the Britax Chaperone in the rear center of a Lexus RX using the LATCH, I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by longhorn99; 10-07-12 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 07:11 PM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by longhorn99
We are pretty much in the same position as you, except that we have a 2008 RX350 in which we are installing the Britax Chaperone. We also prefer to install the car seat in the rear center seat using the LATCH system. As you stated (and despite others' incorrect input), my Lexus owner's manual does not specifically prohibit using the center seat with the LATCH, and Britax states that you can use the center seat with LATCH as long as the anchors are less than 20 inches apart. I would prefer to use the LATCH system, but when I installed it in the center seat using the LATCH (using the two innermost anchors), there is a tad too much side to side movement. I tried using the seat belt installation option to secure the car seat, and used the method described above and twisted the seat belt, and I got it pretty tight. But ,I don't like how the seat belt strap hangs out and I still prefer to use the LATCH. If anyone has actually successfully installed the Britax Chaperone in the rear center of a Lexus RX using the LATCH, I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
While Toyota and Lexus do not specifically prohibit using the center seat with LATCH borrowing, at the same time they do not specifically allow it. Britax allows it IF, and ONLY IF, the vehicle manufacturer also allows it (see FAQ from Britax website below). If you search on car-seat.org it is repeatedly pointed out that LATCH borrowing is not allowed by Toyota/Lexus. In contrast, it is explicitly allowed by certain vehicle manufacturers such as Ford, and is stated as such in the vehicle manual.

I hope you don't consider this to be "incorrect input" but rather good safety sense.

Q. Can a BRITAX child seat be installed in the rear center seating position using the lower anchors of the outboard seating positions?
A. Check your vehicle owner’s manual for the exact LATCH anchor locations and seating positions (if equipped), information on use with a child seat, and for the maximum weight rating for the LATCH anchors. Standard vehicle seat spacing between LATCH anchors is 11 inches (27.9 cm). BRITAX child seats with flexible attachments can be used in a seating position with up to 20 inches (50.8 cm) of space between the LATCH anchors if the vehicle manufacturer allows.

Last edited by AEmgee; 10-19-12 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 10:22 AM
jtown
Driver School Candidate

What if you used both latch borrowing and the seatbelt?
Old 11-26-12, 01:16 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

u are only suppose to use latch or seat belt lock
Old 06-25-13, 04:22 PM
N8dagr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our CA Highway Patrol taught child safety class said DO NOT use the center seat with the LATCH anchors from the side seats unless specifically called for. He actually said it would be safer to have the child in the side seat (and said probably curb/passenger side was the better option because of loading/unloading the child).

and a little more...
http://www.thecarseatlady.com/vehicl...system_10.html

"If your vehicle is made by one of the manufacturer's listed below, you CANNOT install your child safety seat using the lower anchors in the center of the backseat--NO EXCEPTIONS! ..................Lexus (except 2001-2007 LX470)'
Old 06-26-13, 10:31 AM
john22280
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. N8dagr8. I've had my daughter in the center position ever since I purchased the vehicle, but I will be moving her to behind the passenger seat this weekend!
Old 06-26-13, 04:12 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also using the rear passenger side seat from britmax, the center just didn't fit correctly for me
Old 01-24-14, 09:56 PM
RC1818
Rookie

Hate to bring up an old post but none the less a good one.... Have the peg perego installed in center position using the latch system and wondered why it just didn't seem to fit properly and now I know why thanks again to Kooser (OP) for this post & N8dagr8 for -thecarseatlady- link I will immediately go now to properly secure the seat for my lil guy!!! Even tho it's like 12* outside....
Old 07-01-15, 11:48 AM
TERiNNA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kooser
Can anyone who knows for certain comment on whether or not a rear facing infant seat can be safely installed in the MIDDLE of the rear seat bench, or does a rear facing infant seat have to fit on either of the two side seats of the rear bench?

We were told that a front facing seat can go in the middle but a rear facing seat must be on either side.

Thank you
If you read your car manual they suggest the rear facing go on the two side seats. Well at least that's what my 2015 RX 350 manual told me. My husband looked and there wasn't an option for us to put it in the middle which is where I wanted it to go because of leg room for the front passenger seat.