RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

10,000 Mile Oil Change

Old 02-16-10, 09:44 AM
beckysdad
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10,000 Mile Oil Change

Just got my notice and updated maintenance requirements booklet which confirms the new requirements for the use of Genuine Lexus 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil and change intervals of 10,000 miles/yearly under normal operating conditions. Use of any other oil than 0W-20 still requires 6 month/5,000 mile changes.

12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary also.

I'm due for my yearly check in three weeks, so it looks like it will mean my RX will get tire rotation and inspection only.

Tom
Old 02-16-10, 11:31 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Posted a letter from Toyota regarding this, here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...synthetic.html
Old 02-16-10, 12:37 PM
stanell1
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2010 Benz and they are recommending 12K mile oil changes also. I think the key word in that letter was only 0w-20 certified vehicles are going to be covered by the 10k oil change option. I wonder if these guys have been pulling our leg all along. I remember when you needed to change oil every 3k miles then along came 5k mile changes. I would not be surprised if it was extended to every 20k in the next few years. I will continue to change oil every 5k in my LS no matter what type of oil is developed.
Old 02-16-10, 01:30 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

From what I read the big issue with extended oil change intervals is moisture in the system. Tends to build up after a while so they say.

I've had a couple of BMWs that asked for oil changes ~10-12K miles and they ran well past 100K miles. If there was undue wear I never detected it.
Old 02-16-10, 03:01 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by stanell1
I just bought a 2010 Benz and they are recommending 12K mile oil changes also. I think the key word in that letter was only 0w-20 certified vehicles are going to be covered by the 10k oil change option. I wonder if these guys have been pulling our leg all along. I remember when you needed to change oil every 3k miles then along came 5k mile changes. I would not be surprised if it was extended to every 20k in the next few years. I will continue to change oil every 5k in my LS no matter what type of oil is developed.
Totally agree.
No way would I ever go 10k without changing the oil.
IMHO you are asking for trouble.
Joe G
Old 02-16-10, 03:06 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beckysdad
Just got my notice and updated maintenance requirements booklet which confirms the new requirements for the use of Genuine Lexus 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil and change intervals of 10,000 miles/yearly under normal operating conditions. Use of any other oil than 0W-20 still requires 6 month/5,000 mile changes.

12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary also.

I'm due for my yearly check in three weeks, so it looks like it will mean my RX will get tire rotation and inspection only.

Tom
I got mine today too. I am nearing 10k so this additional complimentary oil change came in nick of time.
Old 02-16-10, 03:06 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, the only way to know for sure would be to run it 10k and then do a UOA. There are lots of UOAs here www.bobistheoilguy.com on oil that has gone 10k with no sign of excessive wear.
Old 02-16-10, 04:37 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine today. I have been doing 3 oil change since I got my car last April/May. This mail is really "LATE". I'm not sure if this is related to the recent Totota problems... maybe this is the cover-up... maybe this is another cost-saving... maybe...

Anyway, I believe this is good news. My next oil chang will be 20K...
Old 02-16-10, 04:46 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stanell1

In 2008, when first seeing my Cayenne GTS, I'm surprised by its oil change interval (20K miles). Cayman (after 2005 or 2006?) has the similar interval.

It seems cars in Europe has informed owners of the long oil change interval, but other cars still prefer the short interval?
Old 02-16-10, 04:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

My letter came in too today. I drive less than 10k a year so I'll be following the 12 month schedule for the oil change. I think I'll be at the dealer twice a year anyway to have them rotate the tires and check the brakes. I like going there.
Old 02-16-10, 06:14 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My letter also came. All I can say this was an expectation of mine of Toyota a while back as they were one of the few stuck at 5k intervals or no Oil Life Indicator.

This is a very welcome surprise that they are now making 10k intervals official. Big thumbs up on this change.

But i'll still be forcing the dealer to do an oil change at the first 5k mark to get any shavings out of the new motor that might have collected.
Old 02-16-10, 06:22 PM
rftuck
Rookie

I changed in our 2010 RX350 at 4000 miles and 7 months. Definetly some metal shavings in filter. Very small, but they were there.
Old 02-17-10, 05:51 PM
Joe G
Driver

Received my letter today regarding the 10k complementary oil change.
I will be in touch with corporate tomorrow since we were already entitled to this service “free/good faith offer” for all our aggravation.
Now it has become complementary to all.
Sure hope corporate steps up.
Joe G
Old 02-17-10, 06:12 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe G
Received my letter today regarding the 10k complementary oil change.
I will be in touch with corporate tomorrow since we were already entitled to this service “free/good faith offer” for all our aggravation.
Now it has become complementary to all.
Sure hope corporate steps up.
Joe G
I wish Lexus in the future follow the European auto makers by providing free maintenance up to 30k. 30k only equates to three oil changes and dealer can also benefit by selling "added" but unnecessary services.
Old 02-17-10, 08:05 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Joe G
Totally agree.
No way would I ever go 10k without changing the oil.
IMHO you are asking for trouble.
Joe G
I totally agree, But synth oil is pretty good, I am sure Toyota did there homework on this. But personally I think 10k is too long with out doing a UOA. 22.50 is what it costs to do it at blackston labs.

I mean the new RX my family just got, the first oil change is in 5k they have listed, They did just change it to 10k but who knows, my parents are 100% following what lexus tells them to do so yea. I personally would never do that I would change my oil after 1k miles since breaking in process puts alot of stuff in the oil. Then do 10k But its a lease, so meh.. My parents will just follow what lexus says. They got the maintenance package so its all covered any how.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10,000 Mile Oil Change