RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

nav voice muting

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 08:27 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default nav voice muting

when the nav voice came on to advise me of a turn, etc.,in my 2008 400h, it muted the radio/audio so I could hear the instructions. Unless I haven't found the correct way to do this in my 2010, it doesn't seem to happen. I've seen similar comments in other threads, and I'm really frustrated. Did Lexus indeed elliminate this in the 2010s, and if so, does anyone know if it might be corrected in the future with a softwae or firmware update?
Old 02-16-10, 10:28 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

The radio volume does not mute. I was concerned about this since it mutes in my Audi A6 and I was use to it. After listening to it and learning that you can adjust the Nav volume and the speaker it comes from, I found it to be a non-problem, although my preference would be for complete muting.

Maybe they don't do a complete mute so that the passengers can continue to listen to the radio while the driver concentrates on the nav info.
Old 02-16-10, 10:46 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
The radio volume does not mute. I was concerned about this since it mutes in my Audi A6 and I was use to it. After listening to it and learning that you can adjust the Nav volume and the speaker it comes from, I found it to be a non-problem, although my preference would be for complete muting.

Maybe they don't do a complete mute so that the passengers can continue to listen to the radio while the driver concentrates on the nav info.
Thanks for the response. Actually, my 2008 did partial muting which was what I liked. I've adjusted the Nav volume and have it set to come to the drivers side speakers, but I still have problems hearing what the Nav is saying. Perhaps I play the radio at a higher volume or have too many speakers (ML-15 speakers).
Old 02-16-10, 10:59 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The NAV volume comes from a separate speaker. If the radio volume is too high, you cannot hear the NAV prompts. I've had many cars with NAV and this is the only one that does not mute. Kinda doesn't make sense
Old 02-16-10, 11:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

It is strange how NAV doesn't mute the radio like it used to. But you can hit the MAP button to get the directions repeated, that is after you turn down the radio
Old 02-16-10, 01:21 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are doing this so the kids won't complain when they are watching their fav show. Mute every few sec for directions ain't cool with the kids. You can always set the speaker to the front left for the nav lady, I find this much better than the center speaker.
Old 02-16-10, 01:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Or you can get HUD and have the directions (i.e. left turn/right turn/straight) show up on the windshield.
Old 02-16-10, 04:21 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggy1
when the nav voice came on to advise me of a turn, etc.,in my 2008 400h, it muted the radio/audio so I could hear the instructions. Unless I haven't found the correct way to do this in my 2010, it doesn't seem to happen. I've seen similar comments in other threads, and I'm really frustrated. Did Lexus indeed elliminate this in the 2010s, and if so, does anyone know if it might be corrected in the future with a softwae or firmware update?
I have the early built RX and before the firmware update, music volume stayed the same during navigation announcement. I always had music in low volume while using the navigation so I can hear the announcement. During 9.1 map update, firmware was updated, and now it is near the mute level during navigation announcement regardless how high the music volume is set. It is much more users friendly and transition is much smoother. IMO, complete mute between navigation announcements would be more nuisances since it will have “break” point.
Old 02-17-10, 06:37 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Or you can get HUD and have the directions (i.e. left turn/right turn/straight) show up on the windshield.
I have the HUD and it's useful when you get close to a turn (but I also like to hear the "dong" sound at the turn because streets can be close together and I've been known to pick the wrong one), But the HUD doesn't spell out info like "...in 2 miles your exit will be on the left..." so I know in advance I need to get into the left lane.
Old 02-17-10, 09:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by ziggy1
I have the HUD and it's useful when you get close to a turn (but I also like to hear the "dong" sound at the turn because streets can be close together and I've been known to pick the wrong one), But the HUD doesn't spell out info like "...in 2 miles your exit will be on the left..." so I know in advance I need to get into the left lane.
The NAV lady will tell you if you press on the map button. Still not perfect but it works.
Old 02-17-10, 03:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Update Key

Originally Posted by sightdev
I have the early built RX and before the firmware update, music volume stayed the same during navigation announcement. I always had music in low volume while using the navigation so I can hear the announcement. During 9.1 map update, firmware was updated, and now it is near the mute level during navigation announcement regardless how high the music volume is set. It is much more users friendly and transition is much smoother. IMO, complete mute between navigation announcements would be more nuisances since it will have “break” point.
My dealer is going nuts trying to order the 'update 9.1' key for the 2010 RX. Lexus has promised it to me, the dealer knows that but so far the update key parts number for the 2010 RX is alluding them by showing as not-available when they place the order. If someone that has an early build like mine and had the upgrade done can post the contact info for a dealer and tech that did the work, I'll pass it on to my dealer. It would be a great help, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-17-10 at 04:28 PM. Reason: needed word
Old 02-17-10, 04:32 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
My dealer is going nuts trying to order the 'update 9.1' key for the 2010 RX. Lexus has promised it to me, the dealer knows that but so far the update key for the 2010 RX is alluding them by showing as not-available when they place the order. If someone that has an early build like mine and had the upgrade done can post the contact info for a dealer and tech that did the work, I'll pass it on to my dealer. It would be a great help, thanks in advance.
Surprised you still haven’t had upgraded. I initiated my upgrade after reading your forum. My dealer Pohanka in Chantilly did give me run around so what I did was confirmed with parts department had 9.1 map in flash drive before taking the RX to Service department. Service manager typed in my name and gave me a “run-around” about not having the update so I told him I had already confirmed with the parts department for availability. Few hours later service manager called me and said they couldn’t update the map without firmware upgrade and wanted me to bring the RX back at later date. I told them to keep the RX as long as they wanted because I had a loaner. I don’t know who did what but all I know is that the firmware update was necessary to update the map to 9.1. They said they had to download the new firmware for my RX [04/2009 built date] before they were able to update the map. They claim it took over night from Lexus portal to download the latest firmware to their laptop.

in invoice it is noted as 866991 [Install version 9.1 NAV Firmware to HDD] and PT219-HDDG6-09 [Ver 9.1 GEN6 HDD NAV] with additional note “NEEDED TO LOAD FIRWARE DATA TO THE UPDATE TOOL”.

Only differences I have noticed is the initial screen is “bluer”, there seems to be less vehicle customization [can’t confirm], and music sound near mute during navigation announcement [huge improvement]. It still doesn’t show ice rink in PA we go every summer [but I have it “marked” in address book]. Also, I have not lost connection of iPod since the firmware update [another huge improvement].
Old 02-17-10, 04:50 PM
Cruiter

Surprised you still haven’t had upgraded. I initiated my upgrade after reading your forum. My dealer Pohanka in Chantilly did give me run around so what I did was confirmed with parts department had 9.1 map in flash drive before taking the RX to Service department. Service manager typed in my name and gave me a “run-around” about not having the update so I told him I had already confirmed with the parts department for availability. Few hours later service manager called me and said they couldn’t update the map without firmware upgrade and wanted me to bring the RX back at later date. I told them to keep the RX as long as they wanted because I had a loaner. I don’t know who did what but all I know is that the firmware update was necessary to update the map to 9.1. They said they had to download the new firmware for my RX [04/2009 built date] before they were able to update the map. They claim it took over night from Lexus portal to download the latest firmware to their laptop.

in invoice it is noted as 866991 [Install version 9.1 NAV Firmware to HDD] and PT219-HDDG6-09 [Ver 9.1 GEN6 HDD NAV] with additional note “NEEDED TO LOAD FIRWARE DATA TO THE UPDATE TOOL”.

Only differences I have noticed is the initial screen is “bluer”, there seems to be less vehicle customization [can’t confirm], and music sound near mute during navigation announcement [huge improvement]. It still doesn’t show ice rink in PA we go every summer [but I have it “marked” in address book]. Also, I have not lost connection of iPod since the firmware update [another huge improvement].
Thx a bunch. I'll be on this tomorrow with the dealer. I think your mention about the 'firmware' upgrade is probably the important equation.

One more question and I may have asked it in the past but I forgot. When you got the upgrade did you have to re-load your contacts and address's or did they all stay there?

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-17-10 at 05:06 PM. Reason: not complete
Old 02-17-10, 06:06 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Thx a bunch. I'll be on this tomorrow with the dealer. I think your mention about the 'firmware' upgrade is probably the important equation.

One more question and I may have asked it in the past but I forgot. When you got the upgrade did you have to re-load your contacts and address's or did they all stay there?

all the vehicle settings/customization and address book were preserved. I have about 30 addresses so it would have been a pain to re-enter the addresses. you should call the parts department first to make sure they have the part before approaching the service manager. parts guy told me the map 9.1 for our RX became available in December. I had mine done on 01/14/10. since you have hybrid, you may even have additional updates such as brake issue with hybrid. Both HS and Prius have been officially on the recall list but Camry wasn't even though HS and Camry have exact same mechanical. Hope you get all your updates without any hassle.
Old 02-17-10, 07:04 PM
Cruiter

all the vehicle settings/customization and address book were preserved. I have about 30 addresses so it would have been a pain to re-enter the addresses. you should call the parts department first to make sure they have the part before approaching the service manager. parts guy told me the map 9.1 for our RX became available in December. I had mine done on 01/14/10. since you have hybrid, you may even have additional updates such as brake issue with hybrid. Both HS and Prius have been officially on the recall list but Camry wasn't even though HS and Camry have exact same mechanical. Hope you get all your updates without any hassle.
A while ago I forwarded your email to my salesman to give to Arthur the Gen Mgr. Maybe if I work from the front to the back this time something might happen. I bet they hate it when the customer comes in telling them how to do an upgrade

When I was there Arthur said up to this point nothing re: safety had come out on mine. And he didn't sound like he was expecting anything so that's good. He did make the comment tho that I'm sure a lot of dealers are making, "I wish Toyota had been out front with all these problems instead of the tail wagging the dog".

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-17-10 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: nav voice muting