RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I'm going there...Do I belong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 09:59 PM
Revman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going there...Do I belong?

Members,

I am at a place in my car buying life where I land smack dab at the high end of the Venza line which roughly intersects with the entry RX ($40,000 neighborhood). I have lurked respectfully on this forum for years. I am a completely committed Toyota enthusiast. I do not see my cars as appliances. I am passionate about what I own. I consider myself blessed to be in this position, but I find myself somewhat lost in what I should buy. So, I turn to you, the Lexus enthusiasts, for some direction. Do I belong amongst you as owners only wishing to spend what is noted above at this point, or should I just stick with my Toyotas? Please spare me the "...if you have to ask..." stuff. I am humbly and respectfully asking for your input.

Thank you,

Revman
Old 01-31-10, 10:30 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

honestly, if you dont care about the badge, the Venza might be the better choice, only because for 40K, you will be stuck with a stripped RX. At least for 40K, you can get nav and such. just my 2 cents.

however, I still am obliged to mention the quality difference between the Venza and the RX, plus i like the RX styling more.
Old 01-31-10, 11:08 PM
np0531
Rookie

Performance wise the V6 Venza is similar to the RX350. Not that much of a difference in HP and torque.

Dimensions they are fairly similar as well, interior space available is very close, and while the Venza is a little bit wider and longer its not quite as tall as the RX.

Basically what it comes down to is the "luxury" styling. Comparing the interiors to the Venza and other SUVs, Lexus definitely made interior comfort and detailed styling a priority.

To be honest, after my 2006 RX400h died I planned to purchase a non-Lexus SUV. I preferred the exterior styling of the Mercedes ML and Range Rover Sport (I really really wanted the RR) over the 2010 Lexus RX, but what it ultimately came down to was the interior. I hadn't seen the interior of the 10 RX but after I sat in the cabin for the first time I made my choice almost immediately. The interiors of the other cars couldn't compete, the RX just felt and looked so much nicer. Then again its all a matter of personal opinion.

Drive both cars and see which one you like better. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that once you sit in the RX you might not want to get out... =) My two cents.
Old 02-01-10, 07:03 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been a loyal Toyota customer for years. That is a big reason I bought a Lexus. If you are going to move up to a luxury brand, I was the most comfortable with Lexus.

I looked at the Venza too when I was shopping. The interiors don't compare. The Lexus warranty is better in all aspects and dealer service is excellent. Quietness and comfort are a notch above as well.

I actually almost bought a fully loaded Highlander and went Lexus at the last minute. At the time the Highlander and the Lexus RX were the same dollars as the only Highlander Limited available was a hybrid.

The biggest deal breaker was the CHEAP tilt steering wheel Toyota is putting on their vehicles. That is the most cumbersome device the auto industry has come up with. I love the tilt-away feature of the Lexus, worth every penny. The 'real' wood is top notch and you can tell the difference immediately.

So, if you can afford a few extra dollars or, give up an option, it is worth it. I don't regret my decision at all.

Good Luck
Old 02-01-10, 08:05 AM
thangd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We owned both the 2010 Venza V6AWD and the 2010 RX350 AWD. The Venza is very capable in every way as the RX350 in term of performance, but $10K+ less than the RX350. The Venza has a 8.1" ground clearance .9" more than the RX350 so it is a little better in the deep snow and off-road. But, as MEP7557 said Lexus' Luxury is top notch. Love my RX, but the Venza is my Wife commute and shopping. We use the RX350 for long trip (pleasure), got to have that Luxury on a 4-6hrs drive.
Old 02-01-10, 09:02 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revman
Members,

I am at a place in my car buying life where I land smack dab at the high end of the Venza line which roughly intersects with the entry RX ($40,000 neighborhood). I have lurked respectfully on this forum for years. I am a completely committed Toyota enthusiast. I do not see my cars as appliances. I am passionate about what I own. I consider myself blessed to be in this position, but I find myself somewhat lost in what I should buy. So, I turn to you, the Lexus enthusiasts, for some direction. Do I belong amongst you as owners only wishing to spend what is noted above at this point, or should I just stick with my Toyotas? Please spare me the "...if you have to ask..." stuff. I am humbly and respectfully asking for your input.

Thank you,

Revman
Since Venza and RX are very similar in purpose/design/dimension/mechanicals, it all depends on finance requirement/needs. Since you can get deep discounts on loaded Venza and mid-range RX, initial price difference is minimal with few thousand more for RX. If you are planning to keep the vehicle for only few years, RX would be better buy since it has one of the best resale values of any vehicle which was our primary reason for purchase. But if you plan to drive your vehicle until “wheels fall off”, Venza should be better value since everything else would have lower price tag such as parts and accessories. It may even be cheaper to insure. Material differences are subjective and minimal when comparing to load Venza to mid-range RX. With that note, I do prefer the RX design over the Venza.
Old 02-01-10, 09:26 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

We looked at the Toyota Highlander and the RX at the same time. The big difference in stepping up to the luxury brand is what others have said: better service(loaner cars and pick up service), more expensive interior materials, more sound deadening, and resale values. Of all those traits, the one that sold my wife was the dealer bringing her a loaner car to the house and picking up the RX for service. She works a few different jobs and goes to school and the convenience just made her life easier. Now that she has the RX she absolutely loves the interior and how quiet it is.
Old 02-01-10, 12:18 PM
rex350
Driver School Candidate

Just another opinion: I have test-driven V6 venza and rx 350. Venza has a MUCH rougher ride, a substantial body lean, it doesn't feel as powerful as rx. The interior was awful in terms of panel alignment, and had a lot more sweaks and rattles. Technology and comfort wise 2010 rx is much more advanced.
Old 02-01-10, 12:23 PM
rex350
Driver School Candidate

And the price. I loaded EVERYTHING except dvd for 42K in So Cal.
Old 02-01-10, 03:40 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked at the Venza too. Since my car is the "family" car, it's the one we use for long trips. The ride on the Venza was too harsh for me to consider it comfortable or appealing as a long-distance vehicle. So I got the RX350.

Sandi
Old 02-01-10, 08:16 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota is missing many of the luxury items, but basically very simliar. Just like my last 06 highlander hybrid, it's the same car as the RX400h without all the luxury items. But I really like the AWD 4-cyl Venza.