RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stuck Accelerator Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 04:44 PM
iewiew
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Accelerator Question

Yesterday I pretended that my accelerator was stuck and tried to shut down the engine while doing about 10 miles per hour. Pushed button once, nothing; pushed button twice, nothing; pushed button 3 times, nothing. How do you shut these cars down in an emergency?
Old 01-28-10, 04:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the Lexus start/stop button, you need to hold the push-button down for 3 seconds continuously for the engine to cut out, while in Drive.

Push button 3x is I think the method to turn off a Nissan/Infiniti start/stop button, but I'm not too familiar with that system.
Old 01-28-10, 05:45 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It would be much better to practice shifting into neutral. That way you will not lose the power steering and power brakes. Then shut it off when you come to a stop.
Old 01-28-10, 07:09 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
It would be much better to practice shifting into neutral. That way you will not lose the power steering and power brakes. Then shut it off when you come to a stop.
Excellent suggestion. Exactly what my wife and I practiced the first week of ownership. In a functioning 450, shifting to neutral disables the accelerator. Using the power button is way safer when stopped.
Old 01-28-10, 07:43 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Mazda (and im assuming all ford products) turn off with the 3 second hold as well as with the 3 pushes of the start button
Old 01-29-10, 06:44 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
This is the way to do it.

Unfortunately, the policeman who was driving his Lexus with his family did not do this. He has plenty of time enough to call 911 when his car continue to accelerate. Finally he hit something and got killed along with the people in the car. And the guy was a officer!

Put the gear in neutral and step on the brake. Coast the car to the shoulder. Perhaps put on your emergency lights too. When you are at the shoulder, kill the engine by pushing the start/stop button until the engine dies. The manual says 3 seconds but hold on to the button until the engine is dead.

Then call a tow car to a licensed mechanic shop, not at Lexus. You need an independent expert mechanic to check the car out.
Old 01-29-10, 10:22 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Then call a tow car to a licensed mechanic shop, not at Lexus. You need an independent expert mechanic to check the car out.
I fail to see the purpose of this. Please explain.
Old 01-29-10, 02:28 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I fail to see the purpose of this. Please explain.
Hopefully this problem won't happen on the RX350. And hopefully if it ever does, that nobody will come to harm. But it did happen on other models. And lives were lost.

You want an independent non-Lexus professional opinion on what actually cause the acceleration. You gather this evidence to present to Lexus if that is the action one takes. Or you need that information to be presented to a court of law should that be the action taken when the problem resulted in harm to people or to the car.
Old 01-29-10, 05:10 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

You want an independent non-Lexus professional opinion on what actually cause the acceleration. You gather this evidence to present to Lexus if that is the action one takes. Or you need that information to be presented to a court of law should that be the action taken when the problem resulted in harm to people or to the car.
I think evena a lexus dealer will testify if they do find something. That would not be a lexus/toyota problem, that is a moral one
Old 01-29-10, 05:14 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wouldn't powering off w/ the start button cause steering wheel to lock in place
Old 01-29-10, 05:28 PM
oscqc
Rookie

JSKennedy:

That is precisely why the third poster in this thread suggested that someone in this situation shift into neutral, stop the car, them shut it off with the power button. That way you will not lose the power steering.
Old 01-29-10, 05:33 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oscqc
JSKennedy:

That is precisely why the third poster in this thread suggested that someone in this situation shift into neutral, stop the car, them shut it off with the power button. That way you will not lose the power steering.

driving w/o pwr steering could be a little annoying especially if you're out of shape

driving w/ a steering wheel that is locked in position is a entirely different issue
Old 01-29-10, 05:52 PM
ebarron
Driver School Candidate

I didnt the the RX's were affected by this issue?
Old 01-29-10, 06:02 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

NO lexus models are affected by the recall.

This is because they are japanese made and the accelerator pedal is supplied by Denso instead of CTS. The RX even though is built outside of Japan, still uses Denso pedals. We are just discussion a BIG if.
Old 01-29-10, 06:43 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the RX's have ebrakes?

Quick Reply: Stuck Accelerator Question