RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stuck Accelerator Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 06:57 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Hopefully this problem won't happen on the RX350. And hopefully if it ever does, that nobody will come to harm. But it did happen on other models. And lives were lost.

You want an independent non-Lexus professional opinion on what actually cause the acceleration. You gather this evidence to present to Lexus if that is the action one takes. Or you need that information to be presented to a court of law should that be the action taken when the problem resulted in harm to people or to the car.
If my car experiences that problem I don't want anyone but a Lexus dealership touching my car. A dealership would be crazy to try to cover up anything now that the issue is out in the open.
Old 01-29-10, 08:54 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
If my car experiences that problem I don't want anyone but a Lexus dealership touching my car. A dealership would be crazy to try to cover up anything now that the issue is out in the open.
Perhaps. If the accident resulted in no harm to anybody, yes take it to Lexus. Otherwise if there is bodily harm or car damage (which I already mentioned), you want an expert unbiased opinion as to the cause. Perhaps three opinions is better. And I am talking about determining the cause and not actually fixing the car.
Old 01-30-10, 04:45 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy
driving w/o pwr steering could be a little annoying especially if you're out of shape

driving w/ a steering wheel that is locked in position is a entirely different issue
2010 RX uses Electronic Power Steering, and electric motor, not Hydraulic, which is linked directly to the engine. So, I don't think there is any (well, at least lower) risk to damage it, if engine is shut off or stalls while the car is moving.

For those practicing emergency shutdowns -- why not practice on a car loaner first? Just a thought.

Anyone practicing tire blowout technique or ice braking maneuvers?
Old 01-30-10, 05:12 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

If the car is in anything other than park, and you push and hold the start/stop button, it will put the car in ACC mode which means steering will not be locked, you just lose power
Old 01-30-10, 05:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009

For those practicing emergency shutdowns -- why not practice on a car loaner first? Just a thought.

Loaner - good idea
Blowout - not sure how to simulate
Ice Braking - lately it's been weekly!!

The loaner idea is a good one, thanks.
Old 01-30-10, 05:35 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Blowout - not sure how to simulate
EASY

directions:

then:

and finally:

sorry couldnt resist
Old 01-30-10, 07:18 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Old 01-31-10, 12:42 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

2010 RX uses Electronic Power Steering, and electric motor, not Hydraulic, which is linked directly to the engine. So, I don't think there is any (well, at least lower) risk to damage it, if engine is shut off or stalls while the car is moving.

Darn and I was going to consider buying a loaner for my next car! LOL. Anyway I still think flipping it to neutral immediately rather than waiting three seconds fot the start button to shut off the car might be safer plus it gets two hands back on the whell sooner.
Old 01-31-10, 03:21 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

this is a side note, but never buy a loaner. first of all, hundred and hundred of people sit in that car and do god knows what to it, probably drives it like they are at a drag strip.
Old 02-01-10, 07:33 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was impossible to shift the automatic into neutral when accelerating?
Old 02-01-10, 08:56 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

you can always shift to any gear, nothing on the gear shifter itself prevents you from doing it. You can even shift to P or R while driving at 60mph, but probably nothing will happen.
Old 02-02-10, 05:43 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rftuck
I thought it was impossible to shift the automatic into neutral when accelerating?
When traffic is stop and go, I shift from drive to neutral instead of stepping on the brake. It helps my knee.
Old 02-03-10, 05:26 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
you can always shift to any gear, nothing on the gear shifter itself prevents you from doing it. You can even shift to P or R while driving at 60mph, but probably nothing will happen.
I started using sport shifter lately, and I found if you try to downshift gears too fast, Lexus nanny will stop you, with a beep sound.
Old 02-03-10, 05:30 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
When traffic is stop and go, I shift from drive to neutral instead of stepping on the brake. It helps my knee.
You really need to play with the manual mode shifter. You can engine brake with much better control of the car, changing between 3 and 2 gears. In snow driving, I think its a must.
Old 02-03-10, 10:15 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

I started using sport shifter lately, and I found if you try to downshift gears too fast, Lexus nanny will stop you, with a beep sound.
if you are going at 40mph and try to shift down, and the car wont let you, it is not because you are shifting down too fast. it is because your RPMs would exceed the rev limiter if you for example were trying to shift to 1st gear.

Quick Reply: Stuck Accelerator Question