RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: Do you think the 2011 RX450h will get the new grill? Do you think you'll like it?
Yes, it will get the new grill, seeing as how all Lexus hybrids now have it. I like the new grills!
29.17%
Yes, it will get the new grill, that is the hybrid trend. It is going to ruin the car!
12.50%
No, the RX is too much of a goldmine to mess with. Lexus won't change it, thank god!
50.00%
No, the RX is too much of a goldmine to mess with. Lexus won't change it, though they should!
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Prediction: Will the 2011 RX450h get the New Grill Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 06:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Prediction: Will the 2011 RX450h get the New Grill Treatment?

Looking to get the RX soon, and debating whether or not to wait for the 2011 model and see what possible changes they make (maybe bringing back the sunglass holder, etc etc)

Just afraid they are going to ruin the design by adding that lexus hybrid grill

I am on the fence, because all the hybrids now have it, thus it is fitting for the RXh to get the treatment as well. However, the RX has always had vertical slits, and that wont be possible with these new grills.

with something like this:

Last edited by RXSF; 01-22-10 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-22-10, 07:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have seen a few 3rd gen RXs with horizontal grill, not digging it. Granted they were installed over the vertical one. Lexus should keep the vertical grill, why change it after almost 12 years?

RXSF, I'm with you, the hybrid grill would ruin the 450h.
Old 01-23-10, 06:28 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it does not matter whether its horizontal or vertical. In fact I am not even aware until this thread.

There are a lists of things Lexus can improve over the 2010. If they read this forum, they should pick up on this. What better feedback from those who bought and drove them, huh?

A lot of these improvements are interior and exterior designs. I believe this is easier to implement compare to engine and power train changes. A lot has been talked about the interior compartments, nav, chair, lighting, etc. They should tighten up on quality control specially on rattles. They should put a grille over the air intake. Etc.
Old 01-23-10, 01:02 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if they will change the grill, I would think they will wait until the next design/face lift. I don't see them doing that next year.
Old 01-24-10, 04:43 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

one thing you have to keep in mind is that the GS450h is near the end of its production cycle, with the 4GS slated to come out in 2011/2012. they had to add horizontal grills in order to freshen up the 3GS model.

with the RX450h being a new model, i highly doubt they will change the grill. if they do, it will probably be at least 4-5 years down the road.

on a side note: horizontal grills on the GS isn't really all that bad. if you look at artisan spirits or prussian blue for example, the've had aftermarket front grill replacements from the very beginning. IF there is going to be a horizontal grill replacement for the RX, it will come from aftermarket.
Old 01-24-10, 04:51 PM
Orbit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it vertical. After paying what I paid last month for my 2010, I don't want it to so quickly be noticeable as "last year's model."
Old 01-24-10, 05:14 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

The hybrid RX is probably most definitely going to get some ugly grille treatment soon. I find it funny you posted the least offensive new hybrid grille. What if Lexus decides to put one of these grilles on the RXh?

Old 01-24-10, 05:22 PM
RXSF

lol, i had a picture of the HS, but the link went bad.

It can go either way. These "ugly" grills are horizontal, I dont see them making verticle ugly grills. But the RX is only with verticle grills. I dont know what they are going to do.

they had to add horizontal grills in order to freshen up the 3GS model.
the refresh was back in 2009 where they made the chrome grill wider on the edges. this is the third grill for the GS
Old 01-24-10, 05:39 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol, i had a picture of the HS, but the link went bad.

It can go either way. These "ugly" grills are horizontal, I dont see them making verticle ugly grills. But the RX is only with verticle grills. I dont know what they are going to do.

the refresh was back in 2009 where they made the chrome grill wider on the edges. this is the third grill for the GS
The regular GS has a horizontal grille and the hybrid has a vertical so I'm sure it'll be the same for the RX. And FWIW I doubt it's going to look good
Old 01-24-10, 08:18 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The regular GS has a horizontal grille and the hybrid has a vertical so I'm sure it'll be the same for the RX. And FWIW I doubt it's going to look good
you mean the regular GS has vertical and the hybrid has horizontal

i guess you're right, i never noticed the difference. If i have time, ill need to photoshop a horizontal grill onto the RX just to see
Old 01-25-10, 03:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

i guess you're right, i never noticed the difference. If i have time, ill need to photoshop a horizontal grill onto the RX just to see
There is a difference between the grill on the RX450h and RX350. The 450h has more lines. That's enough for me.

To change it to a horizontal grill just doesn't make sense. Like you said, the RX has always had the vertical grill.
Old 01-25-10, 09:52 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

you mean the regular GS has vertical and the hybrid has horizontal

Oh yes you're right thanks for the correction. I was very tired when I type that and wasn't thinking haha.

But The RXh's grille won't only horizontal it'll probably have thicker chunkier bars too like the HS and LS. Photoshop the LS grille onto the RX and post here. I'm interested to see what that does to the RX's frontend
Old 01-25-10, 10:06 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Photoshop the LS grille onto the RX and post here. I'm interested to see what that does to the RX's frontend
Here's a quick rough shop I just did.

Doesn't look half bad. I think I actually like the grille better on the RX than the LS:

Old 01-25-10, 10:38 AM
felixm79
Driver School Candidate

not bad at all, i think it looks great
Old 01-25-10, 10:58 AM
RXSF

the LF-xh concept which was what the RX was based on has the grill

Quick Reply: Prediction: Will the 2011 RX450h get the New Grill Treatment?