RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help disconnect seat belt warning 2010 RX

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 01:02 PM
BClem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help disconnect seat belt warning 2010 RX

Anybody know if there is a way to disable the seat belt warning alarm, please no "Yeah connect the seat belt"
Old 12-28-09, 04:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont know if you have already checked, but there is currently a thread about this in the 2gen RX. I dont know if its the same procedure but its worth a try.
Old 12-28-09, 05:38 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it done on my car. I believe a Lexus tech has to plug in to disable.

Just get it taken care of at the 1K service.
Old 12-28-09, 08:02 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. 3g has threads of discussing this too. To check with your dealer is the best way to do. They're about to disable it for you without questions.
Old 12-29-09, 07:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Alot of the Lexus will not disable this feature because it is considered a safety feature, some have shorten the duration of the beeps. Not sure about the new RX, but on other Toyotas, if you disconnect the battery, the seat belt warning comes back.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-30-09 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 02:04 PM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

My dealer disabled it at my request, they have the ability to do it through their interface tools. I was apparently not the first to ask Yours should have the ability to do the same, just ask for it at your next service visit.
Old 03-30-10, 06:24 AM
BClem
Driver School Candidate

Awhile back you told me you had 2010 RX 350 seat belt chime disconnected - my dealer said it couldn't be done - well I am taking it in for a 3k checkup - could you tell me who your Lexus dealer is so they can look up how to do it - trying to take away all the excuses before I go there

Thanks Bob
Old 03-30-10, 12:38 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Nice to know this! I just brought mine in for a 1K service and was told they can't disable it because it's a New York State law. I was practically begging because a frequent passenger of mine has health issues which are very uncomfortable due to the seatbelt, plus I do a lot of little pit-stop driving and I'm constantly in and out of the car. Trust me, I know the importance of wearing a seatbelt and I do it all the time if I'm driving for more than 5 minutes at a time. If there's a will, there's a way and I think they were just being lazy.

I was not impressed with their service after all the raving they did at the time I purchased the car. I was told they take pride in their service and don't compare to others. From being greeted by a valet, to being helped by a courteous and knowledgeable service rep, luxury waiting room with pastries, coffe and bagels, etc. I did not experience most of those I mentioned and my Toyota service was always a more pleasurable experience.

No valet was to be seen and I parked my car by myself and was then told I couldn't park there, waited about 30 minutes before a service rep to meet with me and that was after complaining to the receptionist who was missing in action for a while (and it wasn't even crowded at the time I was there), the service rep was totally un-knowledgeable about why I was there and I did all the talking and asked questions about what was to be done during my 1K checkup from what I've read on this board. Wasted about three hours of my day waiting for a quick checkup and car wash.

Hopefully, I'll only have to go back 2-3 times a year and next time I will push harder to have the seat belt warning disabled. Just wish I didn't fall for their excuse of why I was paying so much for my vehicle as opposed to other manufacturer's because "I wasn't just paying for the car, I was paying for the future service experience as well". They said they didn't have much room for negotiating down from the from MSRP price because of this. HA !
Old 03-31-10, 05:27 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
Nice to know this! I just brought mine in for a 1K service and was told they can't disable it because it's a New York State law. I was practically begging because a frequent passenger of mine has health issues which are very uncomfortable due to the seatbelt, plus I do a lot of little pit-stop driving and I'm constantly in and out of the car. Trust me, I know the importance of wearing a seatbelt and I do it all the time if I'm driving for more than 5 minutes at a time. If there's a will, there's a way and I think they were just being lazy.

I was not impressed with their service after all the raving they did at the time I purchased the car. I was told they take pride in their service and don't compare to others. From being greeted by a valet, to being helped by a courteous and knowledgeable service rep, luxury waiting room with pastries, coffe and bagels, etc. I did not experience most of those I mentioned and my Toyota service was always a more pleasurable experience.

No valet was to be seen and I parked my car by myself and was then told I couldn't park there, waited about 30 minutes before a service rep to meet with me and that was after complaining to the receptionist who was missing in action for a while (and it wasn't even crowded at the time I was there), the service rep was totally un-knowledgeable about why I was there and I did all the talking and asked questions about what was to be done during my 1K checkup from what I've read on this board. Wasted about three hours of my day waiting for a quick checkup and car wash.

Hopefully, I'll only have to go back 2-3 times a year and next time I will push harder to have the seat belt warning disabled. Just wish I didn't fall for their excuse of why I was paying so much for my vehicle as opposed to other manufacturer's because "I wasn't just paying for the car, I was paying for the future service experience as well". They said they didn't have much room for negotiating down from the from MSRP price because of this. HA !
Sorry about your experience. What you describe is inconsistent with what I experienced in several Lexus dealerships. Your's must be a Grade A loser. Try another dealership if possible.
Old 03-31-10, 03:20 PM
oscqc
Rookie

My Lexus dealer is also a grade A loser. The nearest other Lexus dealer is 125 miles away. I intend to use it if at all possible.

Re your passenger who has seatbelt problems -- I am recovering from shoulder surgery and had real problems doing up my seatbeelt. Your dealer can order from Lexus a seatbelt extension. It comes in several lengths and they will want to measure the person before ordering it. It really helped my problem but may not solve yours.
Old 10-04-10, 10:53 AM
jmhoward
Driver School Candidate

Can someone please indicate which dealership location turned off the seat belt alarm for them? I am trying to get my dealer to do it and they said it can't be done but if they had another dealer location they could call them on how to do it. I have a long drive way and after I get out to get the mail I do not want to put my belt back on but I ALWAYS wear it on the street!! Thanks!
Old 10-04-10, 12:18 PM
Lex2133
Rookie

Simple.... buy a "seat-belt connector adapter". This is a small credit-card-size (stack of 6-8 credit cards) steel device having a 'male' connector at one end end and a female connector at the other (and a 'release' button in the center). Attach this adapter to the seat belt connector (on the right hip-side of the driver seat). This will shut off the alarm permanently. Now, when you actually want to use the seat belt, connect the 'male connector' on the belt to the 'female' end of the adapter. Problem solved... permanently.

Last edited by Lex2133; 10-04-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 01:18 PM
jmhoward
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! I would rather not do that - although it is a good idea - I would just like to have the dealer turn off the sound, but I appreciate the response. If anyone else is willing to post where they had it done, please let me know! Thanks again!
Old 10-04-10, 04:39 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

By persuading the dealer to disconnect the chime in any way (if they are able in any way), you are putting the dealer in a legal quagmire. If the seat belt chime is turned off, the procedure is registered in the ECU as: "passenger in seat + seat belt not worn". Should a fatal or serious injury in an accident causes the Court to subpoena the ECU's data, it will land the dealer in Court, and we all know what can happen there...

This was my dealer's assertion when I tried to modify the chime - and I was merely trying to suppress the long drawn out warning, not the initial short one. Strangely enough, on my previous Lexus cars, they did it without any protest. When I reminded them of this, they claimed this feature has now been removed on the RX "in Canada".
Old 10-04-10, 06:24 PM
diesel60
Driver School Candidate

Had no problems getting my turned off,and when they where doing it he asked if I would also like to turn the drivers side off to! I was standing right there when he done it. All he had to do is plug in there handheld laptop. All it does is turn the chime off it has no effects on the airbags are how they work. The light on the dash still lights up show there seatbelt is not on.

Quick Reply: Help disconnect seat belt warning 2010 RX