RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Morning Weirdness with Windows...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 05:18 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Morning Weirdness with Windows...

I forgot to ask...

This morning, I came out to go to work. Approached the RX350 gleaming prettily in the driveway, only to see....

ALL the windows are down. The MOONROOF is wide open. WTF?

It was locked up tight last night. My husband put it in the driveway, and did say he'd had a hard time getting the "touch lock" on the outer handle to work, so he had to lock it using the fob.

So, how did all the windows and moonroof get opened remotely?

I haven't had a chance to read through the manual yet...

TIA,

Sandi, perplexed and annoyed, yet relieved it didn't rain last night!
Old 12-03-09, 07:02 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Sandi. My wife did this in the rain one day at work as well.

Most likely, someone pressed the unlock button and held it down (could have been in a pant pocket or something laying on the remote fob's button). If you hold down the unlock button for a few seconds, the windows will open and the sunroof will as well.

The idea is that you can air out the car on a very hot day before getting in.

Hope that was it and hope that helps!

Jay
Old 12-03-09, 07:27 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Hi Sandi. My wife did this in the rain one day at work as well.
A few years ago, a friend went to the party and left his moon roof wide-open. The heavey thundershower ruined his a few month old brand new car.

To Sandi, if your car has this feature programmed, yes, to hold the button too long may cause this issue.
Old 12-03-09, 08:10 PM
jay_man2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holding the unlock button on the fob to open the windows and moonroof is a Lexus Personalized setting that has to be changed by the dealer. The factory default setting has this feature turned off.

It's one of the settings I had changed at the 1000 mile service, and had the dealer turn it on.
Old 12-03-09, 08:30 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jay_man2
Holding the unlock button on the fob to open the windows and moonroof is a Lexus Personalized setting that has to be changed by the dealer. The factory default setting has this feature turned off.

It's one of the settings I had changed at the 1000 mile service, and had the dealer turn it on.
Jay, this was NOT part of our orientation at the dealer, and we never requested it. So apparently not all dealers deliver cars with this feature turned off.

Thanks for the explanation, people. This car has a new nickname - The Transformer Car. I've never owned anything with quite so many "features" - until it's a bug.

Sandi
Old 12-07-09, 11:23 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

OK, happened again last night - even though I looked out the window to make sure the car was closed up, at some point, the windows got opened.

And it rained last night.

The good news: the moonroof didn't open.

Do I need to have the dealer disable this? Or is it something we can disable ourselves?

Sandi
Old 12-07-09, 12:09 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

has to be enable/disabled by dealer

check if there's anything else you want modded @

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX350_LPS.pdf
Old 12-09-09, 08:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
OK, happened again last night - even though I looked out the window to make sure the car was closed up, at some point, the windows got opened.

And it rained last night.

The good news: the moonroof didn't open.

Do I need to have the dealer disable this? Or is it something we can disable ourselves?

Sandi
Is your car unlock when this happens, if not, you may have a electrical issue.
Old 12-13-09, 09:30 PM
rex350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can it happen at all to a LEXUS? What should we buy to avoid all those rediculous surprises?
Old 12-14-09, 04:22 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok everyone, let's not panic here. I think that we would see many, many more posts if this were a widespread problem. Every car has tens of thousands of part and connections and electrical components and every once in a while, the chance that you will have an issue is higher than not. It's amazing there aren't more problems.

So I know this is annoying but let's see what the issue could be.

I'm thinking it could be an electrical issue, a setting that the dealer may be able to adjust, something getting pressed accidentally or even something wrong with one of the remote controls. Maybe it's not an issue with the car at all - perhaps there is some moisture in the remote, a bad signal being sent. You never know.

That gets me thinking Sandi - has it happened again? If so, does it happen enough to see if you can get a feel for whethere it's a problem with the remote control or not? I'm not sure if the batteries are user removable but maybe that's worth a try.

I would much rather have the dealer replace 2 remotes as a first test than to replace a whole chip, board or electrical system tearing apart my car.

Again, just a thought for you.

We haven't heard from you in a while - any status update?

Jay
Old 12-14-09, 04:35 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rex350
How can it happen at all to a LEXUS? What should we buy to avoid all those rediculous surprises?
It happens with Rolls, Bentley, Lambros, etc, any car can have a problem, certainly Lexus is not exempt
Old 12-14-09, 09:54 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

I haven't been to the dealer yet on this issue (and I have been posting, Dig!)

I think you guys were right - it's my husband's remote. He's been taking it OUT of his pocket each night when he gets home, and no more Transformer Car.

But this WILL be changed when I take the car in at 1000 miles.

Sandi
Old 12-15-09, 08:33 AM
davesmith
Driver School Candidate

it's operator error, don't blame the car manufacturers for your idiocy. read the manuals, you paid lots of money for the car, at least take 10 min to learn basic features of the car you paid for.

the car is equipped with sunroof/windows 'on' as default, unless you choose to disable it. on the 2010 with Nav system, you can do the customize settings yourself. and for the non-nav system, bring it to the dealership, and have them disable it for you.
Old 12-15-09, 09:40 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

The sunroof/windows option is not set by the user, it has to be done at the dealership. I don't know why they couldn't make this a user-changable option too.

BTW, my car was shipped with this feature OFF, even though the standard is supposed to be ON.
Old 12-15-09, 04:03 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

My car was delivered with the feature disabled too.

Quick Reply: Morning Weirdness with Windows...