RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 06:00 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

This thread is REALLY funny! Talk about proof positive that "comfortable" seats are subjective!

We had a 2010 RX 350, and my lovely wife hated the seats. We got a 2013 RX 450h that I would swear are exactly the same seat, and she is perfectly happy with them. I could never understand how she could have all the adjustment there is in the RX seats, and not find a position that's comfortable. Butt (I know ) in her mind, they weren't soft enough. I could drive either car all day long (and have!) without getting uncomfortable.
Old 11-21-14, 10:54 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

True enough, even subjective opinions can change over time I think too. I found it interesting to have someone complain how hard the seats are, and I found them too soft at first. My previous car had fairly firm seats, but not hard, and I liked them. I test drove my RX a couple of times for about 15 minutes and I thought seating was softer, but no problem, wasn't a deal breaker. After buying it, the first couple of months any trip over an hour my back was really sore, too soft, no support, felt like trying to sit on water. I was getting worried it wasn't going to work on in the long run. But since then I've gotten used to it and all is good. Then, I had the need to drive my dad's Equinox a while back that they have firm seats. To me the seat was like concrete in comparison. I had to beg for a pillow, I was hurtin' real bad. So I ending up swinging from too soft to now I need it.
Old 07-13-15, 12:18 PM
zephyr7732
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uncomfortable driver's seat cushion

I agree. The driver's seat in a 2011 RX 350 is HORRIBLE. It is like sitting on a wood bench. I really think it is the cooling unit in the seat. There is not enough cushioning because of the hardware right underneath what is just a thin layer of cushion. I previously had an Acura 3.2 TL and the seats were luxurious. Any ideas anyone?
Old 07-17-15, 08:10 AM
zephyr7732
Driver School Candidate

I find the driver's seat in a 2011 RX 350 is HORRIBLE. It is way less comfortable than sitting on a wood bench. I really think it is the cooling unit in the seat which I can almost feel when sitting. My buttocks are constantly sore from driving 45 minutes to and from work each day. There is not enough cushioning because of the hardware right underneath (I think its the fan). I previously had an Acura 3.2 TL and the seats were luxurious. Lexus says nothing wrong with the seat. I really want to take out the fan. I don't need cooled seats anyway, but then would need to make sure have enough support in the seat so would need to add that and more cushioning. Can this be done? Or does anyone have other suggestions?

Last edited by kitlz; 07-17-15 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 06:21 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you had the car since new? If not, maybe someone really heavy had the car before and drove it a lot? The RX seats are some of the most comfortable car seats I've ever had, including compared to my 2006 TL. If you think you are feeling the fan, it is because the cushion material is worn out and if you remove the fan the seat will just sag. Maybe look for a slightly used seat at a parts house or salvage yard and swap them out? I am sure a new seat from Lexus is 1k+.
Old 07-17-15, 07:31 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by zephyr7732
I find the driver's seat in a 2011 RX 350 is HORRIBLE. It is way less comfortable than sitting on a wood bench. I really think it is the cooling unit in the seat which I can almost feel when sitting. My buttocks are constantly sore from driving 45 minutes to and from work each day. There is not enough cushioning because of the hardware right underneath (I think its the fan). I previously had an Acura 3.2 TL and the seats were luxurious. Lexus says nothing wrong with the seat. I really want to take out the fan. I don't need cooled seats anyway, but then would need to make sure have enough support in the seat so would need to add that and more cushioning. Can this be done? Or does anyone have other suggestions?
Sounds like a lot of effort, that might help, or might make things a lot worse. My 2 cents say, find a nice memory foam cushion and try that first. Memory foam is firm, yet forgiving.
Old 07-17-15, 08:10 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I have a 14 RX and find the seats uncomfortable too. They lack in thigh support if you don't have the thigh extender. Most cars today in my opinion lack in thigh support and too firm. I just got rid of a 91 Cadillac Fleetwood that had the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Seat foam was soft and had long thigh support, I never got fatigued in these seats on long trips, all other seats I do. Car makers just can't seem to make the perfect seat in most cases.
Old 07-17-15, 08:48 PM
zephyr7732
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Leap
Have you had the car since new? If not, maybe someone really heavy had the car before and drove it a lot? The RX seats are some of the most comfortable car seats I've ever had, including compared to my 2006 TL. If you think you are feeling the fan, it is because the cushion material is worn out and if you remove the fan the seat will just sag. Maybe look for a slightly used seat at a parts house or salvage yard and swap them out? I am sure a new seat from Lexus is 1k+.
No I bought it used - certified preowned. Lexus keeps saying nothing is wrong with seat. I thought of trying to find a slightly used seat that wasn't air cooled but don't know if that would fit and I don't think lexus made many of them for the 2011 Rx if any. Your suggestion though makes sense.

BTW i have tried a memory foam seat which didn't help then tried a different one which also didn't help.
Old 07-17-15, 11:20 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

We had a 2006 RX (primarily my wife's car) where the seats never felt totally comfortable to me. But one reason we replaced our 2014 with a 2015 RX (see my other post) was because these seats feel so much better. Not quite as comfortable as my 2009 LS, but I think the main difference is due to the "sitting up" position of the seats in an SUV versus in a lower car.
Old 07-21-15, 01:11 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I have no idea what the complaint is. Our '13 RX with Air-cooled seats have the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have gone on 14 hour road trips with not fatigue from sitting. We even nicknamed our RX the couch on wheels.

Now, the STi that I bought recently has very uncomfortable seats. I'm still working on addressing it, as it really spoils the driving experience.
Old 07-21-15, 01:50 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I have no idea what the complaint is. Our '13 RX with Air-cooled seats have the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have gone on 14 hour road trips with not fatigue from sitting. We even nicknamed our RX the couch on wheels.

Now, the STi that I bought recently has very uncomfortable seats. I'm still working on addressing it, as it really spoils the driving experience.
Opinions vary on what a comfortable seat is. My opinion on my RX seat [without] the thigh support extender option is that: lacks thigh support,cushion is too firm and needs to be wider for bigger people even though I'm small framed. Other than that, it is an outstanding car.
Old 07-22-15, 06:26 PM
ISFJames
Rookie

Originally Posted by daryll40
We had a 2006 RX (primarily my wife's car) where the seats never felt totally comfortable to me. But one reason we replaced our 2014 with a 2015 RX (see my other post) was because these seats feel so much better. Not quite as comfortable as my 2009 LS, but I think the main difference is due to the "sitting up" position of the seats in an SUV versus in a lower car.
It took me about 2-3 weeks of messing with the sitting positions. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find a comfortable position. I finally found out what was wrong. I just had the seat way to high up. I lowered it and it just felt better immediately.
Old 08-15-15, 07:15 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leap
We purchased our RX350 new and now have approx. 1,000 miles and the seat cushion is terrible. Driving for more than 10 minutes and it feels as though I am sitting on whatever support is under the seat. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 184. My wife has the same feeling on the passenger seat. The seats do have the 'cooling' unit. It feels like there are 3 supports which I can feel through the seat cushion after about 10 minutes of driving. Has anyone else experienced this and if so has Lexus helped in rectifying this issue?

Last edited by kitlz; 08-16-15 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-15-15, 07:21 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. The driver's seat in a 2011 RX 350 is HORRIBLE. It is like sitting on a wood bench. I really think it is the cooling unit in the seat. There is not enough cushioning because of the hardware right underneath what is just a thin layer of cushion. I previously had an Acura 3.2 TL and the seats were luxurious. Any ideas anyone?
We purchased our RX350 new and now have approx. 1,000 miles and the seat cushion is terrible. Driving for more than 10 minutes and it feels as though I am sitting on whatever support is under the seat. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 184. My wife has the same feeling on the passenger seat. The seats do have the 'cooling' unit. It feels like there are 3 supports which I can feel through the seat cushion after about 10 minutes of driving. Has anyone else experienced this and if so has Lexus helped in rectifying this issue?
Old 08-15-15, 06:30 PM
zephyr7732
Driver School Candidate

I've taken my Lexus to two different Lexus dealerships and they both say nothing is wrong with the seat. Yes I can feel something under the seat after sitting on it for just a short time - something very hard and seems like with edges. Like what the cooling unit probably looks like. I've told Lexus that. They get in the car and sit for about a couple of seconds and say they don't feel anything. But try sitting on that for 45 minutes to and from work every day and you'll feel it. I spoke to a guy that does auto upholstery and he said he could try to put a little more cushioning in the seat. I think I am going to try that because Lexus won't do anything. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed in my Lexus. I'm open for any other ideas.

Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)