RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 07:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

For anyone who have pain down the leg or at the knee, try tilting down the front of the seat or tilting up the rear. You may be cutting of circulation to the bottom half of your legs.
Old 11-24-09, 08:18 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf8000
Various reviewers have complained about the difficulty in finding a comfortable driving position, so it isn't just me. .
Id like to see these reviews because I dont think I have ever read a single published review saying a Lexus was uncomfortable
Old 11-24-09, 09:10 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Id like to see these reviews because I dont think I have ever read a single published review saying a Lexus was uncomfortable
Uh, just look in this forum. I posted this question last month, because many of the reviews on the edmunds site complained about seat comfort.

Sandi

ETA: Here's the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-comfort.html

Last edited by Sandi_k; 11-24-09 at 09:12 AM. Reason: to add link
Old 11-24-09, 01:10 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What my wife and I find unconfortable is the headrest? Its pointed and hitting the back of my head. And there is no way to tilt it slightly backward. We tried adjusting up and down but that does not help. HELP!
Old 11-24-09, 01:27 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one negative review of the RX350's seat: Car and Driver in their July 2009 issue SUV comparison test said "seat cushion and lumbar adjusters never quite get the seat right."

Last edited by rcf8000; 11-24-09 at 01:28 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-24-09, 04:43 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cushion extensions made all the difference in the world to me. My back pain is much like Steve described.
The previous generation RX had the most uncomfortable seats I have experienced.
Old 11-25-09, 04:20 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I have owned all three RX generations. The first had the most comfortable driver's seat I have experienced. The second was not as good, but no worse than the third, imo.
Old 11-25-09, 06:14 AM
Dr. Steve
Driver School Candidate

Remove the head restraints and put them back in backwards, so that what was previously pointing towards the front is now pointed towards the back. Dr. Steve
Old 11-26-09, 08:29 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Steve
Remove the head restraints and put them back in backwards, so that what was previously pointing towards the front is now pointed towards the back. Dr. Steve
Thats a good thought so I went to the garage and inverted them. It's not going to work. The headrest is now way back too much. I tried adjusting the seat to tilt forward but my head still won't rest on the headrest. Oh well... put back the headrest and live with it.
Old 11-26-09, 12:46 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Thats a good thought so I went to the garage and inverted them. It's not going to work. The headrest is now way back too much. I tried adjusting the seat to tilt forward but my head still won't rest on the headrest. Oh well... put back the headrest and live with it.
I would be very concerned for anyone who turns around their car's headrest, as these are active headrest that move in the event of an accident.
Like you I find the headrest uncomfortable but will hopefully adjust to them and benefit from their protection in case of an accident. The design could have been better. Lexus has never quite got the seat thing figured out.
Old 11-27-09, 01:19 PM
jetnoise
Driver School Candidate

My review.....the seats suk.
I bought this car for the wifey..and I cannot get comfortable at all.
Family trips are a pain in my back end.

Her's are the a/c versions too. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, because thats all I have sat in.

I'm 5'9" 175lbs I have fiddeled with the adjustments to no end..Maybe it's just my body/size...

Last edited by jetnoise; 11-27-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-27-09, 03:55 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Has anyone sat in the 2010 Cadillac SRX seat????? It's like a wood plank. I can never imagine anyone saying the seats in the 2010 is uncomfortable. I had the 2004 RX330 that I thought was sitting too high but better than sitting on a piece of wood.
Old 11-28-09, 09:41 AM
Dr. Steve
Driver School Candidate

From what I have read, the head restraints used to be 4 inches from the back of the head. The Government decided that this year it should be as close to the head as possible. So I have to balance the risk of the less than 4 inch recommendation against the risk of my wife's head (she is 5 foot 2 in.) being forced forward in everyday driving so that her chin is literally on her chest. In this world you just can't eliminate all risk. There are unintended consequences of every move that you make. Dr. Steve
Old 11-28-09, 01:44 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr. Steve
From what I have read, the head restraints used to be 4 inches from the back of the head. The Government decided that this year it should be as close to the head as possible. So I have to balance the risk of the less than 4 inch recommendation against the risk of my wife's head (she is 5 foot 2 in.) being forced forward in everyday driving so that her chin is literally on her chest. In this world you just can't eliminate all risk. There are unintended consequences of every move that you make. Dr. Steve
Steve, It is my understanding the head restraints move in the event of a crash, "active head restraints", into the correct position to prevent injury. I also understood this was not a government required but pressured the companies via reporting test results.
I read about this quite some time ago, so your information may be more up to date than what I read at least a year ago.
I wish they would move as quickly on roof strength test/requirements. When you think about it, it amazing the automobile is 100+ years old and we are just getting to the safety issue in recent history. I also hope construction of seats are being improved by Lexus. I have seen plenty of domestic cars with seat backs broken. In the mid 1990's I was returning home from dinner when I found a neighbors son dead in the road after he flipped his dad's Buick. He was wearing his seat belt but when his seat back broke as the car was flipping and he was ejected through the back driver's side window. I was the first person to come along after the accident. Since then safety has been a big issue for me after seeing such a sad needless death.
I still believe we can have both comfort and safety in car seat construction if the companies make the effort.
Old 11-28-09, 08:22 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

This is my 2nd RX, the first being a 2006 RX400h. Both cars have had the most comfortable seats of any I have driven. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 200lb and the seats fit fine Mine are the cooled seats and I think that makes them an improvement over the ones on the 2006. The leather is also much softer than the 2006. I had a 2008 ES350UL with the seat extensions and found that most of the time I was most comfortable with the extension fully retracted.
Steve

Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)