RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Old 10-26-09, 10:52 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
Sandi, Knowing of your neck issue I am more concerned now about how the headrest will feel to you.
Hmm. It hasn't presented itself as a problem in the two test drives I've done...I tend to sit quite upright (my husband says I sit like I'm in a church pew!) so my head rarely hits a headrest in a car.

Why do you think they're an issue?

Sandi
Old 10-26-09, 10:54 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkimball
Hi Sandi,

I ended up trading my 2009 the end of August for a 2010 based on seat comfort alone. The 2nd gen seats were very uncomfortable for me and after 7 months I finally turned it in ($$ ouch $$) for a Cerulean blue w/Parchment2010. I've had it now for about 2 months and find the seats to be much better than the 2009. When I drive to work in the morning they feel great, when I drive home from work after sitting all day, I find myself squirming around to get comfortable, but I believe that is because of sitting for 8 hours at work...it's not the fault of the seat. Just as a comparison, I sat in the new 2010 Cadillac SRX and the seats were extemely comfortable...along with a manual seat extender (for long legs, the extender feels great) the seat is also constructed with a separate cushion that makes them very cushie and comfortable. Volvo's seats are super comfortable too. I hope this helps, because you want to be comfy in your car.
Thanks, mkimball. The SRX was one of the cars I did test drive as well. I hated the handling, but the comfort was definitely good.

Not interested in a Volvo - for some reason, they seem too narrow and cramped. My husband's best friend is large - like 6'4" and 300 lbs large, so we need something with some space.

Sandi
Old 10-26-09, 01:32 PM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Thanks, mkimball. The SRX was one of the cars I did test drive as well. I hated the handling, but the comfort was definitely good.

Not interested in a Volvo - for some reason, they seem too narrow and cramped. My husband's best friend is large - like 6'4" and 300 lbs large, so we need something with some space.

Sandi
Thanks for the info on the handling of the SRX...that's good to know...mk
Old 10-26-09, 03:20 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm. It hasn't presented itself as a problem in the two test drives I've done...I tend to sit quite upright (my husband says I sit like I'm in a church pew!) so my head rarely hits a headrest in a car.

Why do you think they're an issue?

Sandi
The design of the new headrest causes it to touch the back of your head. This bothers a lot of people who ride in our car. It doesn't bother me because I know, like our Volvo, there is a reason for this, but it really is an issue for some which I can understand. I would suggest you take note of it with the neck issues you mentioned.
Old 10-26-09, 07:38 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The seat is fine with me. I drive a MX-5 and if you can drive that small car without complaining of the cramp seat, you can sit on any car.

But yes the headrest is a little bothersome. I will try to adjust it higher. Too bad there is no adjustment to push it back a tad. I feel like its hitting the back of my head.
Old 10-29-09, 06:42 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

Sandi
Hi Sandi...forgot to ask, did you think the seat comfort was better in the SRX (compared to the RX)? About the SRX handling, did it drive as smooth as a Lexus? What was it about the handling that wasn't good? Thanks so much....mkimball
Old 10-29-09, 11:26 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Hi Sandi...forgot to ask, did you think the seat comfort was better in the SRX (compared to the RX)? About the SRX handling, did it drive as smooth as a Lexus? What was it about the handling that wasn't good? Thanks so much....mkimball
It was too squishy. The car meandered, and the power steering was too sensitive for my taste.

Note that this was the 2009 model, not the new one.

Sandi
Old 10-30-09, 07:28 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

It was too squishy. The car meandered, and the power steering was too sensitive for my taste.

Note that this was the 2009 model, not the new one.

Sandi
Hmmm, thanks so much!
Old 10-30-09, 04:50 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Thanks for the info on the handling of the SRX...that's good to know...mk
MK, Lex and Tee just went to an event that featured the new SRX, and they posted their reviews:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...x5-glk-rx.html

Sandi
Old 11-03-09, 09:55 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

MK, Lex and Tee just went to an event that featured the new SRX, and they posted their reviews:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...x5-glk-rx.html

Sandi
Wow...this is great...much appreciated. My husband has been curious about the Caddy so this is helpful. mk
Old 11-23-09, 06:37 PM
Dr. Steve
Driver School Candidate

Default 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable

We test drove the Rx 450h on 3 occasions in the Spring and the seats were great. We purchased our car in Oct. waiting to get the park assist. We also apparently got air conditioned seats (who needs these?) Evidently the seat is constructed differently since now my wife has real problems, with pain down the leg etc. The original test driven cars did not have the air conditioned seats. Anyone else have a similar problem? Dr. Steve
Old 11-23-09, 07:45 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strange, I've air conditioned seats in my 450 and I find them very comfortable. Even more thn on my GS350.
Old 11-23-09, 08:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont think the air conditioned seats make a difference. Perhaps she needs a different seating position such as adjusting lumbar and seat cusion extender (if equipped)
Old 11-24-09, 01:25 AM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

I agree. My wife has back trouble and she can't sit to long in the car without a lot of pain. We think the seats in the 2010 don't raise as high as they did in the 2005. I think having the extender would help very much.
At the time that I bought the car I thought that feature came with the comfort pkg. I was somewhat dissapointed when I found out otherwise.
It is another good reason to order a car rather then buying off the lot.
The dealers that I went too did not have one with the luxury pkg on the cars on the lot. Oh well.
Old 11-24-09, 04:08 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I agree that the driver's seat is not very comfortable. The bottom cushion is too firm. Also, the driver's seat position is not comfortable. I often get pain in my right knee while driving. Various reviewers have complained about the difficulty in finding a comfortable driving position, so it isn't just me. I don't have this problem with rental cars. For example, I recently rented a Ford Explorer for a week on an out of town trip, and the seat comfort and position were OK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)