RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

B pillar rattle resolution

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 04:57 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy
i've discussed the issue w/ some of you in other threads

for those unaware of the issue, some of us experience a rattle coming from the left of the drivers head

went to dealer who faulted shoulder belt assembly for rattle & replaced it

this did not resolve my problem

after closely listening to the rattle, i found it was coming from just forward of the B pillar in the drivers door

i can feel the door moving around on the highway when i stick my fingers between the door & frame

thought spraying lithium grease on the door seals might remedy the rattle

while doing so i found the real culprit

there's a plastic window shroud/trim piece inside the door

i sprayed some grease on the plastic where i heard the rattle

haven't heard rattle in a week now

felt stickers might be a better solution

==== UPDATE ====

rattle came back, installed come felt stickers from walmart which has kept the rattle away

rattle eventually hit passenger door, so felted it also

Just finished with mine last night.... So far so good... I drove it this morning and SILENT..... I got the felt sticker from Joann for $2.49... That noise been driving me nuts... So far so good... finger crossed..
Old 04-01-15, 07:03 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issues...you would think they fix this by the 2015 model.
Old 04-01-15, 11:56 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think door striker adjustment might help. Dealer adjusted door striker about a year ago and the glass ticking like rattle was gone. About 6 months ago, different kind of squeaking noise appeared. I wrapped electrical tapes around the outer part of the door striker and it stops the squeak. However the tape wears out quite quickly. I am taking my RX to dealer this Fri and have them re-adjust the door striker, at least to make sure the front and rear doors flush when closed.. (not it is not.) Hopefully it closes tighter and get rid of the squeak.
Old 11-30-15, 10:41 PM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by niklow
I have the same issues...you would think they fix this by the 2015 model.
+1 still not fixed for 2015 model.

Here's a link to another "B-Pillar Ticking" thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-b-pillar.html

Last edited by Henry82; 11-30-15 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 04:22 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick update. It has been 6+ months since Pleasanton Lexus re-adjusted the driver door door striker. The rattle sound has been mostly gone. I only heard a very slight rattle once a while and it didn't bother much now.
Old 12-06-15, 09:27 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the rattle is coming from the door panel. The door panel has two metal clips that sit right on the metal door frame, I felted the door frame and I stuffed foam under the two metal clips. The noise has been greatly reduced and only can be heard if the road is extremely rough and even then it is barely noticeable. I think that is why wilchan noise has been reduced with adjusting the door striker, it will tighten the door panel against the car and less play in the door panel.
Unfortunately I feel Lexus used very cheap plastic materials in the 3rd gen RX's and getting all of the rattles out is next to impossible.
Another thing that helped interior noise for me was to remove the trim piece around the seat belt harness, once you remove it you will see three holes that are open and are not used for clips. I put a strip of Dynamat over each of the three holes and it made an enormous difference in reducing interior noise. The b pillar is hollow so sound reverberates thru it, if you cover the three holes not nearly as much noise can be heard
The following users liked this post:
dmask0 (06-19-22)
Old 12-07-15, 01:48 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I occasionally hear a rattle from that area too. Also from somewhere on the passenger's side of the dash (up near the windshield, I'd say). Since I can't seem to definitively diagnose the annoying sounds, I just turn up the radio.
Old 04-17-16, 01:08 PM
ckgs
Driver School Candidate

A little felt tape on the top corner of the door frame fixed it for me. Silicone would help for a day or so but this is the only permanent fix I found to quiet the seal where the weatherstrip meets the plastic window trim.
Old 12-12-17, 10:35 AM
vvasak
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I am facing the same issue currently. Could somebody send me photos of the area where to felt the window trim or other places? I did it around some metal clips on the trim which were moving considerably but it doesn’t seem to resolve the issue. Many thanks.
Old 12-14-17, 06:43 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

The photos of OP is broken , could sombody reupload them plez
Old 12-14-17, 06:57 AM
vvasak
Driver School Candidate

OP sent me video already. Thanks very much for support.

The following users liked this post:
Pitlexusrx (04-07-23)
Old 12-14-17, 08:38 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

Cheer, love you both !
Old 06-02-21, 07:58 AM
MattO2786
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought a 13 RX350 and noticed the clicking sound over any bump. Was driving me crazy. I tore apart the b pillar panel multiple times and could not find the location of the sound. At first I thought it was the white plastic container that holds some wiring, so I removed that, but it didn’t work. Finally was able to pinpoint it to the rubber stripping in the door. I used Liquid Wrench Silicone lubricant on the rubber stripping on the door and door frame and the noise is gone.
Old 05-11-22, 10:27 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i have noise too on the driver's side...feels like it's coming from the door or b pillar. so putting felt inside the window trim then?
Old 07-27-23, 10:24 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by klwagoner
I occasionally hear a rattle from that area too. Also from somewhere on the passenger's side of the dash (up near the windshield, I'd say). Since I can't seem to definitively diagnose the annoying sounds, I just turn up the radio.
I may have used that solution once or twice in the past. Cheers