RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How's the initial quality of your RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 12:27 PM
MSW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the initial quality of your RX350?

A week ago we traded our 2004 RX330 for a 2010 RX350, it is my wife's daily driver. We were surprised to find out that the rain-sensing wiper setting did not work, and neither did intermittent wiper setting. Our RX330 had the rain-sensing wipers so we definitely know how it is supposed to work.

This is our third Lexus, and I don't recall our previous vehicles having anything non-functional upon delivery. I hope this is just our bad luck and not indicative of Lexus quality slipping. I know people who are happy with their vehicle probably don't get on a discussion board just to say so, that's why I'm asking this question.
Old 11-02-09, 01:38 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Wait until your front bumper separates

from the headlight!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-09, 02:16 PM
pulp
Rookie

the HUD plastic lens has a big stain on it when i took delivery of the RX which made half of the HUD display blurry, it was replaced at the 5,000 KM service.

also, my parking brake rubber pads seems to be lose, came off a couple of times.

besides that, rattles and dash creaks with hot weather.

none of them are major issues, but overall as this is my first lexus, i have to say i am not impressed.
Old 11-02-09, 03:30 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSW
A week ago we traded our 2004 RX330 for a 2010 RX350, it is my wife's daily driver. We were surprised to find out that the rain-sensing wiper setting did not work, and neither did intermittent wiper setting. Our RX330 had the rain-sensing wipers so we definitely know how it is supposed to work.

This is our third Lexus, and I don't recall our previous vehicles having anything non-functional upon delivery. I hope this is just our bad luck and not indicative of Lexus quality slipping. I know people who are happy with their vehicle probably don't get on a discussion board just to say so, that's why I'm asking this question.
My experience has not been good and I would recommend anyone who is in the market for 10RX wait for 11RX. I try to avoid first year model but the timing was such that I needed a replacement and other to compare were MDX[ugly], Q5[waiting list], X60[old folks car], SRX[not out], and MKX[end of cycle]. I have all the issues others have posted here such as iPod disconnect [really annoying], noise from cargo area [from cargo cover], and separating bumper but not as bad as others that have posted [waiting on TSB to take it in for fix]. I do like the “feel” of 10RX compare to 05RX; it has “heavier” steering with little firmer ride [stock 18] and I really do like the design which is design apart for Gen1/Gen2.

I wonder if this will be 16RX? I found this picture online as 3Gen RX. I like this even better that current RX.
Attached Thumbnails How's the initial quality of your RX350?-lexus_rx350.jpg  
Old 11-02-09, 06:47 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Picking a good dealership is very important. Although you have a warranty, your warranty is only as good as your choice of dealerships.
Old 11-02-09, 07:41 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sightdev
My experience has not been good and I would recommend anyone who is in the market for 10RX wait for 11RX. I try to avoid first year model but the timing was such that I needed a replacement and other to compare were MDX[ugly], Q5[waiting list], X60[old folks car], SRX[not out], and MKX[end of cycle]. I have all the issues others have posted here such as iPod disconnect [really annoying], noise from cargo area [from cargo cover], and separating bumper but not as bad as others that have posted [waiting on TSB to take it in for fix]. I do like the “feel” of 10RX compare to 05RX; it has “heavier” steering with little firmer ride [stock 18] and I really do like the design which is design apart for Gen1/Gen2.

I wonder if this will be 16RX? I found this picture online as 3Gen RX. I like this even better that current RX.
This is my first Lexus as well, and so far my experience with it has been positive. No bumper issues. No noises outside the normal. Not using iPod, prefer my USB key. There are other things I dislike about RX, none of which have been discussed (there is a squishy sound when going over small bumps at low speeds -- most likely a gas pressure from the shock absorbers; and the carpet-like material used to cover the wheel wells that is a dirt magnet), but overall I am satisfied, and enjoy driving RX routinely.

As for competition around April, I looked at the same. I am really sad Acura has adopted the new look across its line (I owned 2 1st gen MDXs prior). Audi Q5 was too small, and unjustifiably more expensive, when similarly equipped, plus a 1-year German. Agree on Volvo. Still do not trust GM to make a quality product. SRX has potential, but I'd let others test it for 3-4 years first. So, instead, I am testing 1st year 3-gen RX. So far so good. For me.
Old 11-02-09, 07:45 PM
jay_man2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like it as much as any gen of the current RX. It looks like a Venza with a big grill and an L slapped in the middle.
Old 11-02-09, 08:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

(there is a squishy sound when going over small bumps at low speeds -- most likely a gas pressure from the shock absorbers;
show me a car that doesnt get this sound...lol
Old 11-03-09, 03:15 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We only have the annoying cargo cover rattle. Still trying to track it down to fix it!

Otherwise we really love the car. My only real gripe is the software for the audio system. It looks like it was designed BY a computer, FOR a computer instead of just ON a computer. Awful iPod integration, poor displays but I if they can update the software I think it would make a huge difference.

Sorry you guys are having all of the troubles. Very 'un-Lexus' like. It might be helpful to look at build dates and possibly locations to see if there are any patterns for the super early adopters. Maybe rushed out the door but tweaked over the following months?

We also looked at the MDX - we both felt it rode like a truck and felt more sport than luxury. Love Volvo (miss my S60) but the sparse interior of the XC60 was a turn off and the light interior is even lighter than in the RX - a sure dirt magnet! Plus, with no wood steering wheel, that cream colored steering wheel will look awful in a few weeks. Audi felt a bit too station wagon like. I was very interested in the SRX but timing and a good deal on the RX kept me out of the Caddy showroom (well, those things and a couple of others about GM . . .).

So overall, we like the RX. Felt it was good value for the money - we got a pretty good deal. Wish we could have gotten some of the other options without a special order and many thousands more. Would have liked the laser cruise and HUD but definitely not worth paying full price for an order plus the cost of the options (to us - I'm sure others feel differently!).

So there you have it. Nothing major quality wise for us.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 11-03-09, 05:00 AM
Joe G
Driver

Not sure yet if I like the design, but from my experience I find it interesting that the lower air dam has been redesigned and closed up.
thanks for sharing the picture.
Joe G
Old 11-03-09, 05:01 AM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by DNC
Picking a good dealership is very important. Although you have a warranty, your warranty is only as good as your choice of dealerships.
Certaintly agree with that comment.
Joe G
Old 11-03-09, 07:14 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
show me a car that doesnt get this sound...lol
I did not hear that sound when going over the same bumps in my 2005 MDX, so suspension is different. I attribute this 'trait' maily to RX's short wheelbase, as I feel more like jumping over the bumps rather than going over them smoothly in MDX.

Again, not a major issue. Certainly not big enough to create a new thread and talk about it for 6 months.
Old 11-03-09, 08:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Ive never had a rattle coming from the trunk cover because that is the first thing i remove when i get the car, both on my RX300 and RX330. I dont feel that its necessary and it just gets in the way of everything.
Old 11-07-09, 05:27 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
We only have the annoying cargo cover rattle. Still trying to track it down to fix it!

We also have a big rattle in the back. I found out that two of the rear cargo cover attachement clips were loose. I decided to just remove it and also remove the cargo cover. Rattle went away.

Overall the intiial quality is very good with one a couple of things. One I already mentioned above. The other one is that the windshield washer fluid is empty.

As for the car, its what I expected. My wife will be driving it most of the time. For comfort, long driving, and ease of use it is up there.
Old 11-07-09, 05:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I hope that's not the 16RX, IMO flat out ugly

Quick Reply: How's the initial quality of your RX350?