RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to Disable Seat Belt Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 06:07 PM
heynorm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Disable Seat Belt Alarm

I just bought a 2010 RX and although I use my seat belts, occasionally I take a little extra time to hook it up and the alarm goes bonkers. Does anyone know how to disable the alarm?
Old 10-29-09, 06:10 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by heynorm
I just bought a 2010 RX and although I use my seat belts, occasionally I take a little extra time to hook it up and the alarm goes bonkers. Does anyone know how to disable the alarm?
I'm fairly certain that if you go to your dealership they can disable it as part of the personalized settings... however, a much simpler and ultimately SAFER solution would be to simply buckle up before getting into motion. Is it that difficult?
Old 10-30-09, 01:21 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Dealer can disable it. It has like 3 points to disable:

"Only driver seat"
"Only passenger seat"
"Only back seats"
Old 10-30-09, 04:36 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup - dealer only option. You should have a 30 day visit with the dealer to set these types of things. If you do a search you'll find a bunch of info on 'Personalized Settings' that list what the dealer has to set. Someone even posted some scans of the list.

Hopefully this won't turn into a big flame thread and conversation about buckling up. I think EVERYONE knows that you should buckle up for safety when on the road.

I, personally, am going to have the dealer turn off the chime for one simple reason - we have a long driveway. If I get the mail at the bottom of the drive it's a pain to have to put the seatbelt back on when going 2 miles/hour up the driveway.

I ALWAYS buckle up on the road though. I don't even feel comfortable if I don't have my seat belt on just going up the driveway - just feels weird (which is good!).

I think the light on the dash is enough to notify us if someone is not belted up in any of the other seats.

We had the option to turn this off in our 05 and 07 RX's with some fancy footwork and key turning but not on the 2010. Maybe they know this is an annoyance and just want people to have to take yet one more trip to the dealer so they can pay to get some service work done at the same time.

Either way - it's a dealer option if you want to turn it off. If you haven't been in for your post purchase check-in you should make the appointment and go through the items you'd like them to set for you.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 10-30-09, 09:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is it on the LPS setting list? Lexus in the pass have always been reluctant to turn off safety warning device, I would think it is no different in the 2010 RX.
Old 10-30-09, 11:36 AM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is it on the LPS setting list? Lexus in the pass have always been reluctant to turn off safety warning device, I would think it is no different in the 2010 RX.
It is, we had it disabled at the 1st service, didn't need the obnoxious reminder in the driveway. Didn't get a bit of pushback from the SA on having it done.

To me it is suprising that option is available given all the nannying the RX is set up to do with the Nav and phone systems and what not. I asked the BMW dealer to de-chime my 135I (chime goes off if you set a gallon of milk or laptop in the passenger seat) and they said it simply could not be done. Go figure...
Old 10-30-09, 01:15 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ObsidianRX
To me it is suprising that option is available given all the nannying the RX is set up to do with the Nav and phone systems and what not. I asked the BMW dealer to de-chime my 135I (chime goes off if you set a gallon of milk or laptop in the passenger seat) and they said it simply could not be done. Go figure...
Ask your gallon of milk to ride with potatoes in the back next time, and noone will sound the alarm.

As for disabling it, it must be different with everyone. I find the warning red light on the panel more annoying than the beeping signal (that turns off after a minute or so), so available personalized settings will not work for me.
Old 11-02-09, 07:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianRX
It is, we had it disabled at the 1st service, didn't need the obnoxious reminder in the driveway. Didn't get a bit of pushback from the SA on having it done.

Yeah, every dealer is different, but like I said, most dealer will not diable the seat beat warning for legal reasons.