RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 09:57 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rattles

In the excitement of buying my RX last week, I told myself I could either fix or live with the rattles. 2 of the 3 RX350's I test drove had rattles. The one that didn't had the luxury package and had a deal in progress. But I can't kid myself anymore. After giving rides to family and friends and hearing comments about how surprised they were to hear all the rattles in a new Lexus, I know I'll go crazy if I don't do what it takes to have them fixed.

I have tried to isolate the areas where the rattles are coming from. I took the cargo cover out of the car and that removed one source of the noise. Next, I put both rear seats down and that almost eliminated the rattles completely. I then raised the rear seat on the driver's side and still, minimal noise. Then I put the rear driver's side seat up and the rear passenger's side seat down and some of the rattling returned.

So now I'll make a service appointment and ask to take a technician for a ride to show him what I discovered. I know I won't be able to wait for my 1000 mile inspection to have this checked out. I have a friend with a 7 year old Pontiac Vibe with 80,000 miles, has been in 2 major accidents and doesn't rattle as much as my RX with 200 miles. Can you tell I'm disappointed?
Old 10-25-09, 11:15 AM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi MikeP

Definitely have the cargo cover rattling! Shame Lexus could not make a cover that does not rattle. Had to take mine out too. Seems like it was on the pass side connection. Too it out and the noise stopped.

My other two rattles are on the driver's side handle along the roof and rattles where the windshield meets the dash in front of the center speaker.

We had the same rattle along the windshield in our old 2006 GS and we had to get the windshield replaced once (due to a crack) and the tech said that it is due to the foam Lexus puts along the windshield and dash. He removed that foam and we never heard the rattle again. I can see that same sponge like stuff near the VIN number on my RX. Almost like they shoved too much along the windshield/dash area. Covers up the last two numbers on my VIN!

I highly doubt the dealer will be able to help you. I tried on our GS it was basically useless.

Just have to turn up the music

--Nate
Old 10-25-09, 11:48 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tex Lex
Hi MikeP

Definitely have the cargo cover rattling! Shame Lexus could not make a cover that does not rattle. Had to take mine out too. Seems like it was on the pass side connection. Too it out and the noise stopped.

My other two rattles are on the driver's side handle along the roof and rattles where the windshield meets the dash in front of the center speaker.

We had the same rattle along the windshield in our old 2006 GS and we had to get the windshield replaced once (due to a crack) and the tech said that it is due to the foam Lexus puts along the windshield and dash. He removed that foam and we never heard the rattle again. I can see that same sponge like stuff near the VIN number on my RX. Almost like they shoved too much along the windshield/dash area. Covers up the last two numbers on my VIN!

I highly doubt the dealer will be able to help you. I tried on our GS it was basically useless.

Just have to turn up the music

--Nate
I had an early build 2GS400 that rattled almost as bad as my RX and I couldn't get that one fixed either. I should have learned my lesson with a Lexus first year model. Too late now. The sales manager suggested that I remove the cargo cover also. I asked him how do I hide the luggage when I'm on a trip? He said the privacy glass hides the luggage. Well, maybe I expect too much, but cargo covers have been around for a while, so I would think one that didn't rattle could easily be designed.

I also noticed the handles making noise, so I stuck a few felt pads where the handles mount to the roof. Can't imagine where the quality control people were when this vehicle was being tested.

I'm going to start with the service department, hoping they will be interested in working with me to eliminate these rattles. If after several attempts are made to fix them, or I get the "they all do that" excuse, I'll get Lexus involved.

I honestly hope these issues can be resolved because I truly like the car. But these rattles are like fingernails on a blackboard to me. I don't have it a week yet and instead of getting excited about driving it, I almost dread going anywhere, especially with anyone who has normal hearing.

I surely appreciate any recommendations or advice (other than turning the music up) any of you can offer.
Old 10-25-09, 01:11 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
In the excitement of buying my RX last week, I told myself I could either fix or live with the rattles. 2 of the 3 RX350's I test drove had rattles. The one that didn't had the luxury package and had a deal in progress. But I can't kid myself anymore. After giving rides to family and friends and hearing comments about how surprised they were to hear all the rattles in a new Lexus, I know I'll go crazy if I don't do what it takes to have them fixed.

I have tried to isolate the areas where the rattles are coming from. I took the cargo cover out of the car and that removed one source of the noise. Next, I put both rear seats down and that almost eliminated the rattles completely. I then raised the rear seat on the driver's side and still, minimal noise. Then I put the rear driver's side seat up and the rear passenger's side seat down and some of the rattling returned.

So now I'll make a service appointment and ask to take a technician for a ride to show him what I discovered. I know I won't be able to wait for my 1000 mile inspection to have this checked out. I have a friend with a 7 year old Pontiac Vibe with 80,000 miles, has been in 2 major accidents and doesn't rattle as much as my RX with 200 miles. Can you tell I'm disappointed?
Yes it could be the seat, but let the experts find the rattles...here's why.

When I bought my 2005 RX I had a rattle in the tailgate. I could swear it was the tailgate, and told them so. It turns out the rattle was in the sunroof. Boy was I wrong by a mile. Lexus not only replaced the complete sunroof, but also replaced the complete wiring harness. No more rattles !

Old 10-25-09, 01:31 PM
pulp
Rookie

that's one of my biggest issues with the RX as well, i was expecting a much more solid and rattle free ride and i am very disappointed in it. some of the rattles i had:

- Cargo cover rattle, removed it.

- Roof Handles, carefully sprayed a tiny bit of WD-40 on the hinges and it fixed it.

- Rear Passenger Side Door, turned out the window was rubbing into the rubber seal, moving the window slightly down/up fixes it, but it keeps coming back every now and then.

- Dash crackling, maybe because of the hot weather but touching/pressing the dash or any of the ***** on it makes crackling noises, no fix. i also hear the lovely crackling noises when i first drive off after being parked for a while.

- Center Arm Rest makes squeaky noises when pressed, like when getting in/out of the car, no fix.

- and finally, recently my front passenger side door is making those rustling noises on bumpy roads talked about in another thread here, pushing on the door seems to silence the noises, so i guess something is loose or rubbing inside? will talk to dealer about it at the 10,000KM maintenance.

like MikeP said, u gotta wonder if the quality control people did any long-term or actual use testing?

Last edited by pulp; 10-25-09 at 01:40 PM. Reason: formatting...
Old 10-25-09, 01:48 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pulp
that's one of my biggest issues with the RX as well, i was expecting a much more solid and rattle free ride and i am very disappointed in it. some of the rattles i had:

- Cargo cover rattle, removed it.

- Roof Handles, carefully sprayed a tiny bit of WD-40 on the hinges and it fixed it.

- Rear Passenger Side Door, turned out the window was rubbing into the rubber seal, moving the window slightly down/up fixes it, but it keeps coming back every now and then.

- Dash crackling, maybe because of the hot weather but touching/pressing the dash or any of the ***** on it makes crackling noises, no fix. i also hear the lovely crackling noises when i first drive off after being parked for a while.

- Center Arm Rest makes squeaky noises when pressed, like when getting in/out of the car, no fix.

- and finally, recently my front passenger side door is making those rustling noises on bumpy roads talked about in another thread here, pushing on the door seems to silence the noises, so i guess something is loose or rubbing inside? will talk to dealer about it at the 10,000KM maintenance.

like MikeP said, u gotta wonder if the quality control people did any long-term or actual use testing?
It sounds like your car was made from spare parts. Some of us have had a rattle or two, but I've never heard of as many as you describe.
Old 10-25-09, 02:38 PM
MikeP
Advanced

I'm only vaguely familiar with the 2RX from having them for loaner cars. Just wondering if the basic items like the cargo cover design and seat mechanism have changed for the 3RX, or are they basically the same? Has the 2RX had rattle problems? Are they carried over to the 3RX?

Guess what I can't understand, is how some 3RX's will not have rattles and some have many. Can it be the build location (Canada or Japan), the building process or the lack of QC that causes these variations? I can see the "pursuit of perfection" in some areas in this car, but definitely not in others. An owner of a $47,000 Lexus (or any new Lexus) should not be embarrased to take friends for a ride.
Old 10-25-09, 08:37 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have rattles. Its very irritating for a $47,000 car to have rattles. I have never had a car that rattles like this.

When the road is smooth there is no rattle. When we hit a bump there are at least three rattles. I am going to tell the service people next checkup.

As some poster already mentioned I will be embarass to drive my friends on this car.

Now my wife and I are like rattle detectives. On day one, we remove the cargo cover. Day two I removed the engine plastic covers. Yesterday we pull down both back seats. Today we pul down the center piece in the back. The rattle is still there. The detection continues...

I am going to tell the service people at the 1,000 checkup.
Old 10-26-09, 06:50 AM
MikeP
Advanced

I was thinking it is ironic that Lexus successfully spends a lot of design and engineering effort to isolate the driver & passengers from external engine & road noises, resulting in a quiet environment that amplifies the rattles from interior areas that should have had equal priority in that design & engineering effort.
Old 10-26-09, 07:10 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking it is ironic that Lexus successfully spends a lot of design and engineering effort to isolate the driver & passengers from external engine & road noises, resulting in a quiet environment that amplifies the rattles from interior areas that should have had equal priority in that design & engineering effort.
I agree. Our 04 RX didn't have rattles, the 07 RX did. Our 2010 has two; one of which seems to come from the cargo area and the other from the back driver's side door.
Old 10-26-09, 04:48 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Just want to thank all of you for your advice and support. I have gotten rid of every rattle in the RX. I went to the dealer today and told them I made a major mistake buying the RX. The sales manager asked what I wanted to do and I said I wanted out of the car. He said he would take the RX back without penalty since I had only about 200 miles on the ODO, if I bought another Lexus. I was fine with that, so I bought an ES350 with the NAV package. I also received a check for $4500 for the difference in prices. This is a first class dealer that understands customer satisfaction.

So I'll be switching boards. I took the ES for a comprehensive test drive and I know this car will better suit my tastes. It rides great and has absolutely no rattles. I'm also amazed at the gas mileage so far.

So enjoy your RX's. I enjoyed driving mine, the room and versatility was great and the technology almost perfect. I could not accept the rattles that seemed to play in surround sound and the ride on the terrible streets around my house and other parts of the city made it seem like it had square wooden wheels. Sorry, just my opinion. At least I was able to stay with Lexus and be very satisfied.
Old 10-26-09, 07:48 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Just want to thank all of you for your advice and support. I have gotten rid of every rattle in the RX. I went to the dealer today and told them I made a major mistake buying the RX. The sales manager asked what I wanted to do and I said I wanted out of the car. He said he would take the RX back without penalty since I had only about 200 miles on the ODO, if I bought another Lexus. I was fine with that, so I bought an ES350 with the NAV package. I also received a check for $4500 for the difference in prices. This is a first class dealer that understands customer satisfaction.

So I'll be switching boards. I took the ES for a comprehensive test drive and I know this car will better suit my tastes. It rides great and has absolutely no rattles. I'm also amazed at the gas mileage so far.

So enjoy your RX's. I enjoyed driving mine, the room and versatility was great and the technology almost perfect. I could not accept the rattles that seemed to play in surround sound and the ride on the terrible streets around my house and other parts of the city made it seem like it had square wooden wheels. Sorry, just my opinion. At least I was able to stay with Lexus and be very satisfied.
Congratulations Mike. I thought the service people got rid of the rattles but then you bought a different car. I will be talking to the dealer soon too.
Old 10-26-09, 08:20 PM
data2009
Pole Position

That's the spirit! Instead of complaining for 6 months, you took the matters in your own hands and resolved them.

I never get the people that keep complaining about their cars. No one is holding a gun to your head. You not happy with your purchase - get rid of it, and continue to enjoy life.
Old 10-26-09, 09:20 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

well, my RX now has about 3,000 mile. It's about 3 months old. Time to abuse it because it's not a new car anymore :-) By that I mean just floor it any change I get; even in town between lights.

I told my daughter from day 1 that don't worry about drink spills and her footprints on the back of the front seat. It's just a car. She was happy to oblige.

Last edited by lmm2009; 10-26-09 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 09:47 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Default Found cause of big rattle

Whenever the car hits a bumpy road, there is rattle from the back. Today I asked my wife to ride in the back. She thinks its the center console in the backseat. We pull it down and she held on to it while we drive. The rattle is still there.

Then she look in the back and saw the cause of the rattle! She was pointing to the rear cargo cover. This piece is held by four clips. Two of the clips got loose and made the cover vibrate whenever you hit a bump. I clip it on. The big rattle is gone !!!

Since I dont need the cargo cover I simply took it off and put it in a safe place. The clips must have gotten loose during transit.

Are there anymore rattles? I can hear small ones but they do not bother me as this one. We'll keep an ear on them and see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Rattles