RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 07:58 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrx350md
I realize that our transmission has a "lifetime" transmission oil but much like the other members of various toyota/lexus forums... I plan on doing a drain and fill every 30K for cheap insurance.
Alex
How will changing the tranny oil get you cheap insurance? I don't see the connection. Are you saying that because you change the tranny oil your insurance rate will go down? I doubt it.

Is it for insuring that the transmission live a long life? I also doubt that.
Old 10-16-14, 08:01 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joandjo
I'm also very interested to learn how to change the ATF on RX350.
I know there is a drain plug at the bottom of trans pan. It's 10mm hex bit - the usual Toyota trans style.

But to my understanding, there is no dipstick. Then, how do you refill the ATF?
(Opps have written the same text somewhere here)
I have done a refill on my other car of the tranny oil. There is a fill plug that is located almost on top but by the side of the transmission case. It is usually a square plug so you can use an adjustable to remove it. After draining the tranny oil from the tranny drain plug, remove the fill plug. Using a plastic tubing, funnel start filling the tranny oil from the fill plug until it just overflows. Then you care done.

However as what others said, the Lexus (and other new cars nowadays) the transmission oil is not one of the maintenance items. It is suppose to last for the life of the car.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 10-16-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-16-14, 08:04 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
do you fill with the engine running, or off?
Off for sure.
Old 10-16-14, 08:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Off for sure.
Thanks, I have done a lot of trans service`s, but all had dipsticks except a 2003 cavalier I had once.
Old 10-16-14, 08:49 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I believe that most Lexus nowadays, and even most newer Toyotas, have these 'sealed' type of transmissions that do not require the transmission fluid to be changed at all. You should check in your owner's manual; if the ATF needs to be changed, it will state when and it might even state how. If you go beyond what your owner's manual says to do, you're just wasting time and money.
The ATF is recommended to be inspected every 30k miles according to the owners manual. And if it's dirty, what do you think the dealer will say?
Old 10-16-14, 08:53 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Engine is off for the cold drain and fill and if you are asking that question I think you sound inexperienced enough that you should just pay the dealer to do a transmission flush. My dealer quoted around $220 to do it. If doing the Toyota temperature flow rate procedure after filling, that is done with the engine on and you need an infrared or laser type thermometer to get the fluid temp.

If you really want details on how to do a drain and fill go to the ToyotaNation site and look or search the Highlander forum.
$220, was that from a Lexus or Toyota dealership? $220 for a flush isn't bad with synthetic ATF.
Old 10-20-14, 09:19 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I was quoted that by Lindsay Lexus last year. I just called and the current price is $259.95. Still not that bad for WS and a full flush. I think I will check the local Toyota dealer price.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-20-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 08:28 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Is it for insuring that the transmission live a long life? I also doubt that.
Read a book.

Oil, like any oil WILL BREAK DOWN with time. So all of the additives that ToyoLex puts into their WS series will become ineffective with time.

Most people on these forums are "true" owners... what I mean is that most have bought or are financing their cars with the intent of having them run tip-top with zero hiccups.

So why would they not change this fluid both for, piece of mind and longevity of machinery.

(Opps have written the same text somewhere here)
I have done a refill on my other car of the tranny oil. There is a fill plug that is located almost on top but by the side of the transmission case. It is usually a square plug so you can use an adjustable to remove it. After draining the tranny oil from the tranny drain plug, remove the fill plug. Using a plastic tubing, funnel start filling the tranny oil from the fill plug until it just overflows. Then you care done.

However as what others said, the Lexus (and other new cars nowadays) the transmission oil is not one of the maintenance items. It is suppose to last for the life of the car.
False. It gets 'inspected' at certain intervals, but they won't disclose this as part of their services to customers to "keep it simple", try and explain to someone that doesn't know cars why they are inspecting and not replacing oil... it turns into a looooong conversation.

Second, "life of the car" is a very, very finicky term... who determines this? The leasing dept. where its a 4yr life span? Or the original warranty dept. with 5yrs ?

This is why people change this, once more, many people will keep these cars past 5years, and want something that will make it there.

Don't get me wrong, the car will run "okay" for 7yrs, but who's to say the trans won't die on year 8 of ownership. Been there, done that on my ES300.
Old 10-21-14, 01:10 PM
CARspec
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought I'd chime in here:

You don't have to replace it per Lexus, but it isn't a bad idea if you want to do a drain and fill a few times DIY-style. You can remove the lower drain with a 6mm allen (external plug) then go back in with a longer 6mm allen to get the tube out that's in there (used for measuring the level when running...it's a process).

When you drain it out, let it go into a container that is clear/metered so you can see exactly how much came out. Replace the internal tube, then the plug.

The fill plug is up on the driver's side of the transmission in the wheel well behind the plasic cover, tucked up behind the fender a bit. You'll need a bit of hose and a funnel contraption to get at it from the top. It is a 22 or 24mm with an aluminum crush gasket.

Add the same new WS as the amount you drained out.

Not easy but not impossible. Note that this and the transmission on the ES are notorious for having an abnormal 1-2 shift when the fluid is low, so try not to underfill it.
The following 3 users liked this post by CARspec:
DLeebold (06-09-21), tbalon (10-06-20), Whivins (12-03-21)
Old 10-22-14, 07:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CARspec
Thought I'd chime in here:

You don't have to replace it per Lexus, but it isn't a bad idea if you want to do a drain and fill a few times DIY-style. You can remove the lower drain with a 6mm allen (external plug) then go back in with a longer 6mm allen to get the tube out that's in there (used for measuring the level when running...it's a process).

When you drain it out, let it go into a container that is clear/metered so you can see exactly how much came out. Replace the internal tube, then the plug.

The fill plug is up on the driver's side of the transmission in the wheel well behind the plasic cover, tucked up behind the fender a bit. You'll need a bit of hose and a funnel contraption to get at it from the top. It is a 22 or 24mm with an aluminum crush gasket.

Add the same new WS as the amount you drained out.

Not easy but not impossible. Note that this and the transmission on the ES are notorious for having an abnormal 1-2 shift when the fluid is low, so try not to underfill it.

Very good information CARspec thank you...
The following users liked this post:
DLeebold (06-09-21)
Old 09-07-15, 07:42 PM
mdrx350md
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So it's been 6 years since I've asked the question of changing the atf on a 08 RX350. Initially I was flamed for changing fluids that is lifetime...

So at 150K miles, I was on the original fluids and was getting something transmission "flare" where the RPMs went really high under heavy acceleration in 2nd gear. At that point, the SUV had a decent amount of mileage so I decided to try the atf drain and fill. I always did it in the morning when the car was cold. I drained into an empty 5 quart jug and put exactly the same amount of Toyota WS back in through the dipstick hole. I changed the crush washer each time. I did this 3 times every 5K starting from 150K. After the second drain and fill, the transmission flare was gone. I added lubeguard transmission additive at the 1st and 3rd drain and fills. The transmission shifted notably smoother and haven't had any issues now at 221K.

I have done Mobil 1 5W-30 (regular) every 10K miles and changed the OEM filter every other oil change. I do coolant and differentials every 50K. Brake fluid flush every 3 years. PSF is drain and fill the reservoir only with Prestone Asian PSF fluid every 30K. Spark plugs were changed at 120K.

Anyway, hope someone finds this useful or at least amusing.
The following 4 users liked this post by mdrx350md:
daddiojigg (03-11-19), fred9xx (02-23-24), Lexski (05-30-23), Whivins (12-03-21)
Old 09-08-15, 01:36 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

mdrx350, Amusing? maybe. Useful? Definitely. Did you do as Carspec said? Do you have to remove 2 (two) plugs to actually get it to drain (the plug, then some tube?) Our dealer says our fluid doesn't need to be changed (90k miles) because it's WS lifetime fluid, but you know, as an engineer I'm leaning towards calling it BS fluid. Lifetime of the warranty maybe, but not the lifetime I plan on owning it. Is there a washer for the drain plug(s) as well as the fill plug? Be as detailed as possible if you could, no flame throwers from my end. Thank you. (I don't know how different your 08 tranny is from our '10 tranny in regards to the plugs)

Last edited by afpj; 09-08-15 at 01:37 PM. Reason: different MY
Old 09-08-15, 10:51 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't own the 3rd gen RX yet but...

at the 1st gen RX forum, many people have reported problems with RX tranny. Most of the time, high mileage people like me do simple drain and fills cuz we don't want to change the viscosity of the tranny fluid by flushing out the whole thing. Viscosity as I understand has to be somewhat constant inside the box.

I did my first drain and fill at 65K. the fluid wasn't only dark grey to black but it was almost crusty. Incredible. As it says on the 3rd gen manual, Toyota doesn't recommend replacing the tranny oil. good luck.

and by the way, I do a regular drain and fill at every 30K miles. I have 235K miles now.
The following users liked this post:
RXLRD (01-09-20)
Old 09-09-15, 07:44 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I did 2 drain and fills on my 2010 RX350 at 34,000 miles and the old fluid was dark, but not that bad. I used Mag 1 low viscosity full synthetic ATF which is available at Amazon and half the price of WS. I think it shifts better with Mag 1.
I plan do to a transmission drain and fill when I do my annual oil change. I usually only drive about 7,000 miles a year.
Old 09-09-15, 11:51 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

put it this way, lexus doesn't require you to change shocks at 100K miles either. Yet, when replaced, the performance difference between old and new is dramatic.

When manufacturers say "Life of the Car," they mean something less than 100K, IMHO. They don't mean crazy people like me who keep cars for a very long time. If everyone kept cars in tip top shape like me, they won't have too many repeat customers.

The good thing here is that "life of the car" for Lexus is at least longer than German cars (Ultimate Leasing Machine and Lies in Engineering) that use plastic cooling tubes and engines that burn lots of motor oil. I think their "Life" is about 75K tops. After that you have to spend about 3K per year on replacing parts.On my car, I spend about 1.5K per year on repairs but that is only after the car reached well over 120K...

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)