RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Potental Buyer, Rattles, Price

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 10:32 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't have a CarMax here, again the closest would be in Houston. I thought about selling my car independently of the RX purchase, but I only pay tax on the money difference when trading. Using the deal from my local dealer, I would be giving them my car plus $17,783. Taxes here are 10%, so I would be paying $1778.30. If I bought the RX without a trade, I would be paying $4478.30 tax. To make up the difference, I would have to sell my car for $29,700, which is more than KBB.

I know I am unreasonable about not accepting rattles, but my M35 has been rattle-free for the 3 years I have had it, so I know it is possible. I keep hoping my hearing deteriorates so I don't hear them. Maybe I should try wearing noise canceling headphones while I'm driving.

Not to change the subject, but how did you like your EX? I've been craving one, but don't see Infiniti supporting it with updates. I'm afraid it will be dropped and even if it isn't, I guess resale is the pits. Just wish it had more rear leg room and the same engine/transmission as the G & M.
Old 10-16-09, 10:43 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeP
Not to change the subject, but how did you like your EX? I've been craving one, but don't see Infiniti supporting it with updates. I'm afraid it will be dropped and even if it isn't, I guess resale is the pits. Just wish it had more rear leg room and the same engine/transmission as the G & M.
Sucked... in the shop over 30 days and 12 times in 15 months of ownership. Different stuff so I couldn't lemon law but I sued and did get some cash out them. Too small and had an 2004 FX too. Common design problems between the two that were never resolved. Unlikely I will ever buy another Infiniti based on the way corporate treated me. I couldn't get over the dash in the M45. Just didn't work for me. Looked at a FX50 but the front end looks like a mutated catfish.

Your M must have been an outlier... every luxury car I've owned has had a rattle or two. Used to be like you and got tired of taking my car in and watching my blood pressure go up.
Old 10-16-09, 11:35 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Sucked... in the shop over 30 days and 12 times in 15 months of ownership. Different stuff so I couldn't lemon law but I sued and did get some cash out them.
Sure....but did it rattle? Don't blame you for not wanting another Infiniti.
Old 10-17-09, 07:24 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey MikeP - same screen name from FA? I used to see you around those boards too.

In regard to the suggestions about a phone call - I will tell you that the ONLY way I've had any luck was putting in a call to the sales manager directly. Not the internet manager, not a sales person. If you are looking for a bigger discount than what you are seeing, they'll have to go to him/her anyway.

I would just call, ask for the sales manager and explain what you've been offered with your trade and what you'd like to pay for the car. Tell them that you are ready to come in and buy the car in the next few days (they may have to trade your local dealer for the car but tell them you can definitely close by month end). If they know they have a deal in the bucket that they can count on, they would probably be more willing to work with you. I've always had luck with this approach.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jay
Old 10-17-09, 07:59 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Hey MikeP - same screen name from FA? I used to see you around those boards too.

In regard to the suggestions about a phone call - I will tell you that the ONLY way I've had any luck was putting in a call to the sales manager directly. Not the internet manager, not a sales person. If you are looking for a bigger discount than what you are seeing, they'll have to go to him/her anyway.

I would just call, ask for the sales manager and explain what you've been offered with your trade and what you'd like to pay for the car. Tell them that you are ready to come in and buy the car in the next few days (they may have to trade your local dealer for the car but tell them you can definitely close by month end). If they know they have a deal in the bucket that they can count on, they would probably be more willing to work with you. I've always had luck with this approach.

Jay
Thanks for the suggestion, Jay. Seems like you are in agreement with the others who have recommended a phone call rather than email. I'll definitely report any progress.

Unless my mind has completely cratered, I don't know what "FA" is.

Mike
Old 10-19-09, 03:47 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Thanks for the suggestion, Jay. Seems like you are in agreement with the others who have recommended a phone call rather than email. I'll definitely report any progress.

Unless my mind has completely cratered, I don't know what "FA" is.

Mike
FA=FreshAlloy - site for Infiniti vehicles (i.e. the M). If not, sorry, maybe a different Mike with an M.

Eithe way, let us know how you make out.

Jay
Old 10-19-09, 05:03 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm not sure about the 2010, but the earlier RX's had a rattle issue with the latches for the car cover. If they were not pushed all the way in, they would rattle Simple once it was explained to me. I just drove a loaner with almost 6000 miles on it and it was tight and rattle free.
Steve
+1 oldcajun, had the same problem on both my 04's, the tech at the dealership showed me what to do, problem solved
Old 10-19-09, 05:09 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=DigMyM35x;4933237]Hey MikeP - same screen name from FA? I used to see you around those boards too.

Jay[/QUOTE +1 Jay, when I used to purchase new cars I would always ask for the sales manager and told him I was ready to buy a car and not just kick tires. Always got a great deal, told them they had one hour to do the deal or I'm walking. Got great service even though they probably thought I was a pain in the butt!! Too bad' it was my money that I was spending
Old 10-19-09, 05:55 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
FA=FreshAlloy - site for Infiniti vehicles (i.e. the M). If not, sorry, maybe a different Mike with an M.

Eithe way, let us know how you make out.

Jay
My mind is deteriorating faster than I thought. Too bad it's not my hearing. I am registered on FA as MikeP as well as Jagtalk. I haven't been to FA for so long, I forgot about it. I have always visited Club Lexus for car news, even though I haven't had a Lexus since I bought my M35 in 1996.

My local Lexus salesman told me they usually get the invoice for a car the day before it arrives at the dealership, so he is going to call me when he sees the invoice. Originally, he told me the RX was due in on the 20th, which is tomorrow. I did not sleep well last night and until I decide to buy and take delivery, I will have major insomnia. One benefit is that I am losing weight, something I wished I could do for a while. Even though I absolutely hide my enthusiasm, sales people smell victory like a dog can smell fear.

So probably this week, hopefully early, I'll get the RX. I do have to say that I will miss my M35 a lot and its technology, especially the tire pressure monitoring system that displays each tire pressue. I used that feature regularly to check my tires. I thought the 2010 RX would have the same feature since the HS has it and they share the same new mouse-like interface. Not a deal breaker, but still a disappointment.

Jay, since you were on the FA board, you must have had an Infiniti also. How was your experience?

Mike
Old 10-19-09, 10:37 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure....but did it rattle? Don't blame you for not wanting another Infiniti.
Yeah... it did and drove me nuts. On a positive note, it did pretty much desensitize me. I don't even want to go into the issues. Resale was pretty good... then again it was a 15 month old EX35 with 6500 miles on it (short commute).
Old 10-19-09, 06:01 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Got a call today from my local dealer to tell me that they have been notified that "my" RX, which was due there tomorrow, will be delayed until sometime next week. I really need some sleeeeeeep. The salesman said that they will ask Lexus to put a priority on it, so that should speed things up. Hope I'm not being duped.

Mike
Old 10-20-09, 03:00 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

My mind is deteriorating faster than I thought. Too bad it's not my hearing. I am registered on FA as MikeP as well as Jagtalk. I haven't been to FA for so long, I forgot about it. I have always visited Club Lexus for car news, even though I haven't had a Lexus since I bought my M35 in 1996.

My local Lexus salesman told me they usually get the invoice for a car the day before it arrives at the dealership, so he is going to call me when he sees the invoice. Originally, he told me the RX was due in on the 20th, which is tomorrow. I did not sleep well last night and until I decide to buy and take delivery, I will have major insomnia. One benefit is that I am losing weight, something I wished I could do for a while. Even though I absolutely hide my enthusiasm, sales people smell victory like a dog can smell fear.

So probably this week, hopefully early, I'll get the RX. I do have to say that I will miss my M35 a lot and its technology, especially the tire pressure monitoring system that displays each tire pressue. I used that feature regularly to check my tires. I thought the 2010 RX would have the same feature since the HS has it and they share the same new mouse-like interface. Not a deal breaker, but still a disappointment.

Jay, since you were on the FA board, you must have had an Infiniti also. How was your experience?

Mike
Hi Mike. Thought that was you. I do miss my M - I was going to re-lease another one last year(actually I was going to buy mine off lease I liked it so much but Infiniti wouldn't do anything with the buyout so I took a different route). I was a little hesitant to spend the same money for the same model ie. 2006M to a 2008M so I took the G out for a test drive. Since I only had the M35 I didn't have quite the performance of the M45 so when I jumped in the G, found they added all of the tech goodies that were available on the M I decided to get a 'fun' car. It's just my wife and myself so, even though the G is quite a bit smaller it is a blast to drive. Love it! I did a 2 year lease expecting the new M to be released by the time my lease ended and it looks like that was a pretty good decision. Not sure if you saw the new M but it looks very interesting. I guess we'll see when it hits the dealership.

So, in regard to your stress about the RX - let it ride Mike. It's just a car. As much as I get worked up and excited about a new car I always try to remind myself that the minute I pull off the lot and drive it for a few minutes I instantly, and inevitably, end up asking myself "what did I get all excited and worked up for? It's only a car"

Trust me, it's not worth the stress. You have to remember that for the sales people and sales managers it's a transaction. Same as when I went to buy my wife's engagement ring years and years ago. I went to a jewelry store and I was so nervous and excited but to the sales person it was just one more commission for that day. Not special for her at all. At first I was disappointed but it was a good lesson that I've never forgotten when I deal with my clients.

So don't stress. Try to enjoy the process. Regardless of how the sales people may try to make you feel - you are in control. You can decide to buy or not to buy. You can even buy the car from a dealership in another part of the country and pay $500 to have it shipped (or build it into the price on the car). If the discount is higher you might still end up saving signficant money so it might be worth it.

In regard to the 'invoice being available the day before' - well, that's a bunch of bull!! The sales manager at my dealership showed me their deliveries expected a week or two out on the info they always get. They get a list of all of the vehicles expected in, the options and the prices. Trust me - your dealership has this as well. My guess is that they are playing the 'end of month' game and know that you are interested. If they can find a buyer to pay more for the car they will. If they don't sell it they'll magically call you, in a very excited voice, and tell you that your car is 'due in tomorrow' blah blah blah. All they are trying to do is build the excitement. Trust me, if they wanted the sale and the deal they would easily trade with another dealership for it. It sounds like they are selling enough to keep them moving so they are more interested in profit than volume (typical for most Lexus dealerships). I believe you said they have a bit of a geographic monopoly so that would make sense.

Go outside your geographic area and give the sales manager the details. Offer for you trade from this dealership and what you've heard others getting on their sales of the RX. Tell them you can drive out and seal the deal that day or within a few days. Don't wait until the last day of the month - they usually can't prep a car that quickly but maybe a few days before (like now!). If they don't bite - tell them that if they are interested to give you a call back - you can do it at any time. You'll probably get a call or two if you call 3 or 4 dealerships. I actually love it when I'm looking for a rare or in demand color or something like that and another dealer trades the original guy who wouldn't budge. I always wonder if that original dealer knows they blew that sale. Oh well - so . . .

Don't lose sleep, don't get sick! Trust me, the RX is a great car and we love it but it's not worth any of that. Additionally - why don't you see if you can take an overnight test drive from your dealership. I find that this helps me curb some excitement as I get the car overnight, see it in different light, have it in the garage and it almost test drives any buyer's remorse/excitement building. It may just take the edge off of your stress a bit.

Oh, and I lost the TPM monitor with specific tire readouts when I got the G and I think I was a bit manic about it on the M. It would be nice to have but I haven't found it to be a necessity. The only time you'll probably get VERY frustrated is when the light goes off and you check all of the tires and they are fine. The issue will undoubtedly be your spare tire! Happened a few times on the old RX so I'm expecting it on this one.

If you think that is the only thing missing from your M that you'll miss just be prepared. There are some GREAT things about the telematics on the RX but the implementation can be frustrating at times (like seeing audio info at the same time as directions for the NAV system). Nothing you can't work around but you'll see . . .

Keep us posted and get some sleep

Jay

Last edited by DigMyM35x; 10-20-09 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-20-09, 04:20 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Jay,

Your advice is absolutely sensible and I appreciate the time & effort you spent expressing your thoughts. Between the sales tactics and my self inflicted anxiety, I get worn down and my resistance gets very low. Then I catch car flu. That's about where I am now. I am hoping that I will get so tired of this process, I will lose my excitement. I'm going to Houston the first week in November, so if I can't get a satisfactory deal locally by the end of next week, I'll visit the Sales Managers of the dealers there. My local Sales Manager knows I'm going to Houston, but I think he believes I'm bluffing because this will be my 5th Lexus from his dealership.

I feel like I've just expressed my feelings at an AA (Autos Anonymous) meeting. Club Lexus has been a great source to release some of my anxiety. In the long run, I know I need to get a life.

As for the 2011 M, at first I thought the exterior design was innovative and attractive. Now, it's already losing some of its appeal. I'll hold off passing judgement until I see it in person. I do think the interior is excellent. I will be anxious to see what kind of fuel economy the hybrid will get. My guess is that it will mimic the GS 450h in that it will be pointed toward performance rather than fuel efficiency.

Mike
Old 10-21-09, 04:54 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Default Got It, Well Almost !

This will be a happy ending, thanks to all of you who gave me support, suggestions and information. Don't have my 3RX yet, well actually I do. It's sitting in my carport now. Here's the story:

Yesterday, I read all your posts again and decided I had to make a move. I emailed my local salesman and told him that I wanted $3000 off MSRP and if the car came with cross bars, I wanted them removed and the price deducted from the MSRP before the $3000 discount. I told him I was ready to buy ASAP, but no later than 10/28 when I would be going to Houston.

I received a reply which said he would speak to the Sales Manager. About a half hour later, I received another email telling me that an RX, to my exact specs, without cross bars, just came in at their other dealer in Baton Rouge, about 60 miles away. He said that they were going to get it from them and he would call me when it arrived so I could test drive it.

I sent a reply asking him for the response from the sales manager. I told him that if he did not accept the deal I sent earlier, there was no purpose in waisting my time test driving the car. About 3:30 yesterday afternoon, the salesman sent an email telling me that the sales manager accepted the offer and the car was in. He asked when I wanted to come over to test drive it. I replied that by the time I drove over to pick up the car, the traffic would be heavy and wouldn't have enough time to evaluate it, unless I could keep it over night and return it in the morning. I got the OK, picked it up and this morning I'll go sign the paperwork and give them a check. WOW.

I checked the bumper covers and all of them fit tight. It had exactly 60 miles on the ODO and plastic on the floor and armrest. The carpet mats are still in their plastic bag. I checked the build date in the driver's door jam and it is 10/09. Still fresh.

So thanks, guys. After a few days, I'll be catching up on my sleep. I've got a lot of reading to do, first to unlearn the voice commands from my Infiniti and learn the new commands. Using the menu and controller are pretty intuitive, I have set some preferences already. There are a few things that are rattling in the rear, but I have some foam and I think I know where most of them are coming from.

My guess is that around 10:30-11:00 am, I will be a legitimate RX 350 owner and maybe in the not-to-distant future start paying back to this forum for all of the help I have received from it. Thanks to all.

Mike
Old 10-21-09, 06:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Mike, congrats. I'm glad you finally got what you wanted and can now enjoy some restful evenings. Please post pictures when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Potental Buyer, Rattles, Price