RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wheel Help....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 05:28 AM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Help....

Howdy Yall..

Please needed some opinions on choosing a wheel. I am not too thrilled with the stock 19" 7-spoke look and will be changing to one of these wheels. They will be 20 X 8.5 and the tires will be bumped up to Latitude 245/50/20 (same size on Venza).. So nothing too terribly huge..

I am certainly no photoshop wizz, but I edited these two wheels on the same black sapphire color. Sorry they are so small, but this was the only side profile I could find on the web..

First wheel is the TSW Vortex. Will be a machined finish. I like this wheel because it is simple and can compare to the stock 18" wheels.. With the Vortex I can get a larger wheel and tire, yet keep the simple look..

Second wheel is MRR HR-1, which is also a machined finish. Obviously more busy, but it has its charm..

The first wheel will look slightly lighter and the second wheel will look slightly darker..

I have also included the standard hybrid wheel for some comparison, as it is a bit busier then the stock 19" seven spoke found on the RX 350.

TIA Everyone..

Wheel Help....-lexus_rx_10_8u0_02.jpg

Wheel Help....-lexus_rx_10_8u0_04.jpg

Wheel Help....-lexus_rx_10_8u0_05.jpg

Wheel Help....-hr-1.jpg

Wheel Help....-vortex.jpg

--Nate
Old 08-28-09, 07:53 AM
htn
Driver School Candidate

Save money, keep the stock wheels. Looks better IMO.
Old 08-28-09, 07:54 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tex Lex
They will be 20 X 8.5 and the tires will be bumped up to Latitude 245/50/20 (same size on Venza).. So nothing too terribly huge..

I'm not an expert on custom wheels/tires, so excuse my ignorance. The car's suspension, wheel wells, odometer, etc. have been designed/calibrated for a 235 size tire. So won't you have an issue if you install the larger 245 tires?
Old 08-28-09, 08:16 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

I too like the stock wheels
Old 08-28-09, 08:59 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs
I'm not an expert on custom wheels/tires, so excuse my ignorance. The car's suspension, wheel wells, odometer, etc. have been designed/calibrated for a 235 size tire. So won't you have an issue if you install the larger 245 tires?
it's ok to go with plus sized wheels as long as the rolling diameter remains the same. the only negative with going to larger wheels is that you will lose some fuel efficiency due to heavier wheels and tires, and the ride will be a bit more stiff as you will have less side wall in your tires.
Old 08-28-09, 09:02 AM
ajs
Driver

That's my point. The rolling diameter would change when going from 235 to 245 tires, right?
Old 08-28-09, 09:06 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Tex Lex
Howdy Yall..

Please needed some opinions on choosing a wheel. I am not too thrilled with the stock 19" 7-spoke look and will be changing to one of these wheels. They will be 20 X 8.5 and the tires will be bumped up to Latitude 245/50/20 (same size on Venza).. So nothing too terribly huge..

I am certainly no photoshop wizz, but I edited these two wheels on the same black sapphire color. Sorry they are so small, but this was the only side profile I could find on the web..

First wheel is the TSW Vortex. Will be a machined finish. I like this wheel because it is simple and can compare to the stock 18" wheels.. With the Vortex I can get a larger wheel and tire, yet keep the simple look..

Second wheel is MRR HR-1, which is also a machined finish. Obviously more busy, but it has its charm..

The first wheel will look slightly lighter and the second wheel will look slightly darker..

I have also included the standard hybrid wheel for some comparison, as it is a bit busier then the stock 19" seven spoke found on the RX 350.

TIA Everyone..
--Nate

not a fan of the tsw wheels. mrr wheels look better than tsw, but that design...i dunno, that design can become outdated very fast. and i would say you can pull that look IF you are slammed with a bodykit.

i recommend you save up more money and get better wheels like work, rays, volk racing, etc. yeah these wheels cost more, but you gotta pay to play. going with these wheels will cheapen the look of your RX. 2 cents.

if you haven't already, contact the CL wheel vendors here and see what kind of deals can be had. i'm sure they can get you something that is better than tsw or mrr. good luck.
Old 08-28-09, 09:17 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by ajs
That's my point. The rolling diameter would change when going from 235 to 245 tires, right?
you are talking about the width of the tire tread, not the side wall height. going to plus size tires is fine (235 to 245), but your side wall height has to be smaller
Old 08-28-09, 10:20 AM
ajs
Driver

OK, based on the tire size calculator, the 245 tire will end up having a slightly different rolling diameter:
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Help....-tire.jpg  
Old 08-28-09, 10:29 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

as long as the difference is 3% or less, it should be fine. when going with larger sized wheels, it is almost impossible to get exactly the same rolling diameter as stock.

i haven't checked, but you could try using a different tire size and see if that makes the changes closer to stock. if it does, that's the one to use.

edit: i like using this wheel calculator, as it is a little bit more detailed

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

btw, what is the stock wheel size? is it 19 x _?

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-28-09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-28-09, 12:49 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Thanks Guys..

I am just not a fan of those multi spoke wheels that come with the 19's.. I have looked at many dealers here in town and online (including many of CL sponsors).. I don't mind spending the money, but have looked at over 50+ different wheel companies and really only the TSW and MMR's appealed to me.. More the TSW's. Whike I don't personally like to mod up my cars to look tacky and cheap, I think making slight esthetic changes are ok..

I know that the RX can accommodate up to 265/45/20, but will probably go with either 245/50 or 255/50. Gas mileage will suffer a few MPG's I know, but I think it will be worthwhile..

Anyone know of a similar 5-spoke wheel that comes in 20's, isn't chrome, does not have a lip and have spokes that come to the edge?? I think I have exhausted every wheel company..

The stock RX 19's are 19 X 7.5

--Nate
Old 08-28-09, 01:04 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

since you like 5 star wheel, what about work equip E05?

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product...y=43&wheel=115
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Help....-equip-e05.jpg  
Old 08-28-09, 01:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

ssr vienna courage:

http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/courage_1819.asp
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Help....-ssr-vienna-courage.jpg  
Old 08-28-09, 01:11 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

ssr vienna merisia

http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/merisia_20.asp
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Help....-ssr-vienna-merisia.jpg  
Old 08-28-09, 01:13 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Thanks Stormforge.. But was looking for a 5-spoke wheel that comes in 20's, isn't chrome, does not have a lip and have spokes that come to the edge

Picky?? Who Me? :-)

--Nate

Quick Reply: Wheel Help....