RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

is this a Ventureshield (clear bra) defect? Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 08:09 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a Ventureshield (clear bra) defect? Pics included.

I've just had the clear bra installed about less than a month ago and I noticed something weird this morning. It looks as if a small bubble about 2mm in diameter has formed on the hood. There seems to also be a tiny pinhole at the center of the bubble. You can also see that it's raised about a milimiter from the hood. Not exactly sure if it's a defect or a chip from a stone, but I don't think a stone chip on Ventureshield looks like this, I'm not sure. I've never had clear bra installed before so I don't really know.

Can someone please confirm based on the pics is this is a stone chip or a defect before I call the installer back? This is quite disappointing considering I spent a bit of money on this thing and it's already chipped.

Thanks a million!

Old 08-22-09, 08:54 AM
Premier Films
Former Sponsor

if you run your finger over the surface, can you feel it? You should take it to your installer to have them take a look
Old 08-22-09, 08:55 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a bubble that formed while installing it, and the installer used a pin to pop it (thus the pinhole). So it looks like what the installer did didn't work since that spot never bonded properly to the surface.
Old 08-22-09, 09:39 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

@Premier Films: yes you can feel it when you run your fingers over. It seems too be a millimeter in height protrusion from the surface.

@ajs: That makes a lot of sense.

I'll take it to the installer on Monday. Hopefully he will admit to it but I doubt it and hopefully he'll reinstall it under warranty/guarantee.

it's frustrating when you spend good money on something an they try to cut corners. He did express that it was very hard when they were putting it on, but nonetheless, they're supposed to be the expert on it.
Old 08-22-09, 11:56 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=DOUS;4786543]I've just had the clear bra installed about less than a month ago and I noticed something weird this morning. It looks as if a small bubble about 2mm in diameter has formed on the hood. There seems to also be a tiny pinhole at the center of the bubble. You can also see that it's raised about a milimiter from the hood. Not exactly sure if it's a defect or a chip from a stone, but I don't think a stone chip on Ventureshield looks like this, I'm not sure. I've never had clear bra installed before so I don't really know.

Can someone please confirm based on the pics is this is a stone chip or a defect before I call the installer back? This is quite disappointing considering I spent a bit of money on this thing and it's already chipped.

Thanks a million!

QUOTE]

VentureShield has a good warranty. Take it back. As noticeable as it is in your pics, I'm surprised it was not noticed at the time of install if it was there. As a rule any type bubbles that appear after install go away after a few days. A stone into the VentureShield would have an indentation with maybe a raised edge around the indent.
I'm sure they'll correct the problem no matter what, but keep us posted.

I've had VentureShield on my cars for the last 5 years that have had stone hits where the product took the brunt of the hit, and protected the paint. It did it's job !

Old 08-22-09, 03:22 PM
KC001
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure they will tell you it is not their issue. I had a clear bra on a 2005 RX, after 2 years of bubbles, smears, tears and separations, I traded for a 2008, with no bra. Never again. Look at cars that have this at the dealership, you can see tiny blemishes that will grow.
Old 08-22-09, 03:48 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

dous, i feel your pain. my installer did not mention any difficulty regarding my clear bra installation. i would definitely go back to your installer for warranty.
Old 08-23-09, 10:58 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4482
VentureShield has a good warranty. Take it back. As noticeable as it is in your pics, I'm surprised it was not noticed at the time of install if it was there. As a rule any type bubbles that appear after install go away after a few days. A stone into the VentureShield would have an indentation with maybe a raised edge around the indent.
I'm sure they'll correct the problem no matter what, but keep us posted.

I've had VentureShield on my cars for the last 5 years that have had stone hits where the product took the brunt of the hit, and protected the paint. It did it's job !

@4482: No it was not noticeable from the date of the install. I supposed they try to hide it well by poking it with the pin. I will look around again cause now that I think about it there are "bubble like" blemishes that are visible in some spots, albeit flat on the surface. I'll check for more pin holes.

I'm beginning to think they did a really crappy job on it, or they just cut corners. Hopefully they'll take it back in when I call them later this morning.
Old 08-23-09, 11:00 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KC001
I'm sure they will tell you it is not their issue. I had a clear bra on a 2005 RX, after 2 years of bubbles, smears, tears and separations, I traded for a 2008, with no bra. Never again. Look at cars that have this at the dealership, you can see tiny blemishes that will grow.
I just hope they'll redo it under warranty without any struggle. I really don't have time for confrontation, never mind taking the time to bring it back to them. Not like they give out loaners like Lexus does.
Old 08-24-09, 05:43 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

So I called the installer..

Surely enough they said it wasn't from the installation. They claimed from the picture that it was from a stone hitting the hood. But they were willing to look at it though it won't be covered under warranty.

I sort of believed what ajs said that the hole could have been popped off, otherwise why would there be a perfectly round pin hole in there...

I'll email Ventureshield and ask them what they think.

This is going to be ugly I think.
Old 08-24-09, 05:49 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

can someone kindly post pictures of their clear bra with stone hitting it? Or marks on an older car with a clear bra? I just wanted to see how a rock hit actually looks like on it. Thanks!
Old 08-24-09, 08:17 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Here's the response from Ventureshield:

I would suggest that they take film back to certified installer. It does look like someone used a syringe to remove air bubble….we will never know.

Dan
Old 08-24-09, 07:51 PM
HHRP
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear about it man. Looks like an install defect to me from the picture. If a stone would hit I think you would see an impact shell around it.. It's all these jack *** mechanics/tinters/installers that just cant do a good job. Everything is half ***..really hard to find a good pro. Had my car tinted, overall is good, but some minor little bubbles still there...what can you do...Hope you can take care of it without it being a pain in the butt.
Old 08-24-09, 09:25 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Well, I went to the original installer and he said its a stone chip. he won't budge, he won't even do anything for me if I had it redone. Same price, same BS. I went to another installer (recommended by friend), he said not a stone chip.

Got second email from another dude at Ventureshield... he said (get this) he's had VS on his car and installed hundreds of them and never seen any damage that extent. He said it's a bubble burst. He felt sorry for me for having a hard time with my installer that he said he'll give me the kit for free if I can find someone to do the labor.

Ventureshield service is amazing. So willing to help and it's not even their fault. That's customer service.... so rare these days, I tells ya!
Old 08-25-09, 09:21 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
Well, I went to the original installer and he said its a stone chip. he won't budge, he won't even do anything for me if I had it redone. Same price, same BS. I went to another installer (recommended by friend), he said not a stone chip.

Got second email from another dude at Ventureshield... he said (get this) he's had VS on his car and installed hundreds of them and never seen any damage that extent. He said it's a bubble burst. He felt sorry for me for having a hard time with my installer that he said he'll give me the kit for free if I can find someone to do the labor.

Ventureshield service is amazing. So willing to help and it's not even their fault. That's customer service.... so rare these days, I tells ya!
great news to hear that ventureshield stepped up to the plate to help you! yeah, get the other guy to install the clear bra. too bad the original installer is being such an ***, he just lost a customer and potential referrals from you as well.

Quick Reply: is this a Ventureshield (clear bra) defect? Pics included.