RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Speaker Sizes/Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 07:22 AM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Sizes/Quality

Does anyone know the sizes of all the speakers in the 11-speaker "premium" Pioneer system (NAV)?

I'm not sure about you guys, but I find the speakers to be beyond horrible. They are extremely muddy and have zero clarity. I just moved from an IS350 with Mark Levinson, so maybe I'm just jaded. However, the plan is to swap all the speakers with aftermarket equivalents to get the sound quality I expect.

-Cray
Old 07-11-09, 01:36 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craysv1
Does anyone know the sizes of all the speakers in the 11-speaker "premium" Pioneer system (NAV)?

I'm not sure about you guys, but I find the speakers to be beyond horrible. They are extremely muddy and have zero clarity. I just moved from an IS350 with Mark Levinson, so maybe I'm just jaded. However, the plan is to swap all the speakers with aftermarket equivalents to get the sound quality I expect.

-Cray
Please let us know if you find a solution with after market speakers. My local
audio shop says it can't be done. 2 ohm vs 4 ohm. No place to hide an amp
etc.
Old 07-11-09, 11:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerbait
Please let us know if you find a solution with after market speakers. My local
audio shop says it can't be done. 2 ohm vs 4 ohm. No place to hide an amp
etc.
if your local audio shop says that, they are not really knowledgable in the car audio business. a good audio shop will be able to help you or anyone who wants to upgrade their factory sound system.

a good audio shop would custom build an amp rack that is oem looking and that can be hidden from view. and there are products like JL audio cleansweep that helps to integrate oem stereo with aftermarket stereo. see this link for more details:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94
Old 07-12-09, 07:34 AM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

Well, i put my RF punch200 under the container that holds all the tools, half way under the rear seat. The bass roll off is horrible in this vehicle, though, so I'm putting in an MTX Re-Q (similar to the aforementioned cleansweep) and that will hopefully give me back my bass response. I honestly don't want to put in another amp for the full-range speakers (for cost reasons), but will if I have to. I'm waiting for my dealer to send me over the speaker measurements and ohm ratings before I order.

However, if it requires 2ohm speakers I'm not worried. Infinity Reference and Kappa both are 2ohm.
Old 07-12-09, 11:08 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Well, i put my RF punch200 under the container that holds all the tools, half way under the rear seat. The bass roll off is horrible in this vehicle, though, so I'm putting in an MTX Re-Q (similar to the aforementioned cleansweep) and that will hopefully give me back my bass response. I honestly don't want to put in another amp for the full-range speakers (for cost reasons), but will if I have to. I'm waiting for my dealer to send me over the speaker measurements and ohm ratings before I order.

However, if it requires 2ohm speakers I'm not worried. Infinity Reference and Kappa both are 2ohm.
go ahead and put in another amp for the full range speakers, the factory amp just won't cut it. if you want good sound, you gotta splurge a little to get it.
Old 07-13-09, 05:59 AM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
go ahead and put in another amp for the full range speakers, the factory amp just won't cut it. if you want good sound, you gotta splurge a little to get it.
yeah, i'm really considering it... i'm not really sure what 50W rms will do to the factory tweeters i wasn't going to replace, though
Old 07-13-09, 06:56 AM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

i'm more worried about the crossover points of the factory amp than the power... It has plenty power to drive the full-range speakers adequately but the speakers are so bad that I can't tell how off those crossover points are.
Old 07-13-09, 09:42 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So have any of you guys taken apart the dashboard? Is it difficult to do?

Thanks,
Old 07-13-09, 11:11 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

i'm more worried about the crossover points of the factory amp than the power... It has plenty power to drive the full-range speakers adequately but the speakers are so bad that I can't tell how off those crossover points are.
trial and error testing maybe? that's the only way to find out....
Old 07-13-09, 11:59 AM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
trial and error testing maybe? that's the only way to find out....
Since I'm going to do the speakers anyway, I'll probably see how that works and replace the full-range amp if necessary. I've gotten pretty proficient at ripping out the cargo-area floor, so I could drop another amp in an hour :P

I'll post the lexus wiring diagram and speaker ohm ratings when I get them tomorrow night.
Old 07-16-09, 09:15 PM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

Ok... here are the official speaker sizes for the NAV "Premium" 11 speaker system:

Front:
2x 1" Tweeter - 4ohm
2x 2.5" Mid - 4ohm
2x 6x9 - 4ohm

Rear:
2x 1" Tweeter - 4ohm
2x 6.2" - 4ohm

Sub:
Dual VC - 3ohm/VC

Center:
Not connected to the stereo... but it's 3ohm if you care

-------

Not sure what I'm going to do about that 6.2" in the rear... Probably going to get a 6.5 and hope for the best. I'll post a wiring diagram when I get a chance to pick it up/scan it.
Old 07-17-09, 05:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the RX's standard audio have a digital signal proccess? That might be the problem right there, of course changing out those cheapo speakers will have more bang for the buck.
Old 07-17-09, 05:54 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

They are extremely muddy and have zero clarity.

-Cray
Being factory speakers I think they're 'tolerable' with a good CD or other source. The sound I think is muddy is what comes from the Satellite. I can't configure it to sound like it has any fidelity. Pretty sure I won't keep it after the trial period although we did listen to the comedy channels quite a bit on our trip to FL.
Old 07-18-09, 07:43 AM
craysv1
Driver School Candidate

I would agree... The sound from the satellite is horrid.
Old 07-20-09, 01:28 PM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

Got the ML and have been very satisfied with the audio quality!!!

Quick Reply: Speaker Sizes/Quality