RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

anyone with 2010 rx?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaha ok i guess i am just a bit confused now

first of all, chris, i think the link you sent me actually confirms that the video WILL show up in the front navigation screen when the car is in P and parking brake engaged (stock from factory). those wiring cutting i think simply fools the system thinking the parking brake is engaged all the time so the video will show up when you are driving?

well let me put down my questions in details, it's a bit complicated and honestly not even salesperson can fully understand
- assume the most complicated case, new rx with navigation + ml + rses
- the new ml means automatically come with a dvd changer and allow dvd video playback on the front navigation screen when the car is in P and parking brake engaged

so my questions are

1) if i put a dvd in the front changer, car in P and parking brake engaged, video will start playing on the navigation screen and also audio through car ml system. now would the same video show up in the rses screens? or they will remain shut off?

2) now assume car in P and parking brake engaged. you put in a dvd in the rses, start playing on the rear screens. would the same video be shown on the front navigation screen? how about the audio, would it be played through the ml system?

3) more complicated. say front changer is playing audio cd. car is in P and parking brake engaged. rses playing dvd video. would the video show up on the front navigation screen? if so, what would be the audio (from cd changer up front or dvd from rses)? and am i right that you press on the DISC button up front to cycle through CD changer -> RSES -> CD changer ....?
Old 07-08-09, 05:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Talking

I better keep my mouth shut so I won't confuse you even more because:
1) I'm talking about an older GX and not a 2010 RX
2) I have no clue about the newer nav/rses system

NOne of my informations really helped you at all.

For one thing though, having a video display on the nav is a big breakthrough for lexus, parking brake engaged or not

Why haven't you bring a dvd to the dealership and play with all that option?
Old 07-08-09, 06:00 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henry,

The rear wasn't connected to the front before because I used to keep dvd movie in my desk just to show people.
But as you know, it's been awhile for me so...... I would suggest doing what Chris said and that is.....the only way to be certain is to do it yourself.

Or better yet, post this in the RX forum? SOMEONE in there must own a new RX with rses???

Oh and on that note.....ahem, Mr. Senior Moderator - this thread is in the wrong forum!
(sorry couldn't resist, please don't ban me)

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Why haven't you bring a dvd to the dealership and play with all that option?
Old 07-08-09, 08:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha well i started by want to see if someone already has the car so can give me the answer right the way, but guess it got a bit too technical

yeah i think i can go to dealership, but you always know how tough it is when i have to deal with those sales when i only want to find out an answer @_@

oh and surprisingly, i was looking at lexus.com today. seems like none of the rx we get here have mark levinson. unbelievable
Old 07-08-09, 08:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

henry, i will be going to the rx450h dealer invite tomorrow nite. supposedly, i am allowed to drive the demo. if i can, i'll try to answer those questions for you (unless someone here with a 2010 rx with navi/ml/rses answers your question first!)
Old 07-08-09, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thank you pat, i am relying on you now
Old 07-08-09, 09:27 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
thank you pat, i am relying on you now
i'll do my best, no guarantee that the demo tomorrow nite has ML, navi, & RSES! it all depends on what package it has. will let you know what i find out.

and just for you, i'm bringing 3 DVD movies to see if they can all play at once!
Old 07-09-09, 09:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

good news, bad news, and good news to report:

good news: the demo RX450h is fully loaded, comes with ML, Navi, and RSES. was NOT allowed to drive it, as it was on showroom display for all invited lexus clients to view. in fact, there was an obsidian and aurora white pearl 450h on display in the show room. i asked and was allowed to test the DVD & RSES.

1) if i put a dvd in the front changer, car in P and parking brake engaged, video will start playing on the navigation screen and also audio through car ml system. now would the same video show up in the rses screens? or they will remain shut off?
bad news: yes, the navi screen in the front does play the dvd movie. but no, the video does not show up on the RSES screen automatically. instead, both screens show the following on screen:

it is not touch screen, so you can't select any of the menu choices by touching the screen a la 3rd gen GS navi input. i was informed that there is a remote control, but it is not available to me for testing purposes (too many lexus clients running around). you can't see it from the pic, but there is a rectangular outline under the screen, it appears to be a top fold down DVD cover which i believe the remote control is used to open/close with. i think that's where you stick the DVD in (at least its the right size). you can partially see this in the next picture, its at the bottom of the picture.

and that's as far as i got to. sorry henry, can't fully answer your questions this evening.

good news: i was told this evening that the RX450h is available for test drive tomorrow. so i'm going back tomorrow evening, and hopefully i will get the opportunity to answer your questions.

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-09-09 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 10:15 PM
OC-ISF
Driver School Candidate

Stormforge--how does the aurora white look in person? According to the dealers I've spoken to on the west coast, there isn't a single aurora white build in the entire region for at least two months. Does it have a strong purple tint? Any details would be appreciated as I am debating about when to buy my 450h. Also, nobody here seems to have the luxury package on the h. I'm thinking about custom ordering but I'd love to know how aurora looks!
Old 07-09-09, 10:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by OC-ISF
Stormforge--how does the aurora white look in person? According to the dealers I've spoken to on the west coast, there isn't a single aurora white build in the entire region for at least two months. Does it have a strong purple tint? Any details would be appreciated as I am debating about when to buy my 450h. Also, nobody here seems to have the luxury package on the h. I'm thinking about custom ordering but I'd love to know how aurora looks!
in person, the aurora white has a slight tinge of blue to it (i guess you could call it purple). here are some pics i took, it'll give you some idea (sorry if the picture quality isn't that great):

imho, the aurora white looks nice.
Old 07-09-09, 11:11 PM
OC-ISF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for posting some pics. It definitely helps to see what it's not! If you have any additional impressions of the aurora white after you return to the dealer tomorrow night, I'd love to hear and/or see them. Interesting as well that these models are fully loaded with the RSES. Everything I've seen so far in SoCal is comfort package only on the h.
Old 07-09-09, 11:32 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by OC-ISF
Thanks so much for posting some pics. It definitely helps to see what it's not! If you have any additional impressions of the aurora white after you return to the dealer tomorrow night, I'd love to hear and/or see them. Interesting as well that these models are fully loaded with the RSES. Everything I've seen so far in SoCal is comfort package only on the h.
i'll definitely provide some additional impressions after i get to test drive the 450h. will also provide additional pictures in daylight, time permitting. this specific aurora white is fully loaded with every option: Navi, RSES, ML audio, HUD, LED headlights, dynamic cruise.

imho, it's my impression that lexus buyers up here want fully loaded everything. and quite a fair bit of stock do come in fully loaded version. case in point: initially, i wanted a fully loaded 450h in smoky granite. my salesman said no problem. i later changed my mind to tungsten pearl. my salesman said no problem. he said a fully loaded aurora white was also available if i changed my mind (not the demo model shown above!). and yes, i do have a refundable deposit in place with the dealer. so yeah, it is interesting to see so many fully loaded coming in....
Old 07-10-09, 12:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

awesome patrick, thank you for the info. it's not all the info but still helpful. hopefully soon there will be answers to all my questions

it really sux here in cali when there is no option to get ML (at least not on lexus.com). so ridiculous
Old 07-10-09, 07:54 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

sigh...some good news and some bad news. here it is:

yes, if you play dvd movie on navi screen, the same video shows up on both rses screens. however, you must use the remote control to select "DVD" mode to turn the screen on and see the picture.

the remote control has a "left" and a "right" column for controlling input sources at the top, and the bottom has the standard adjustment features that are shared by both. the centre of the remote control is a round 4 button remote (hard to describe, will show pictures later). i would have taken a picture of this remote, but the battery in my camera died!

please also note that the remote control has an "off" mode for each side, so you could turn either the left or the right screen off, or turn both screens off and just have the navi screen show the movie.

i was not provided ear phones, so i could not test them.

now the bad news: i could not find anywhere on the remote a button that would open a DVD cover to insert separate DVD movies. i assumed last night that the rectangular outline underneath the screens would be the opening where you would insert the DVD. i could be wrong. i've asked 2 lexus salesmen: one said that there is only 1 DVD player; the second one didn't know.

looking at my 2010 RX brochure, it states the following:

"The all-new RX is a vehicle without compromise. Literally. Should your rear passengers have decidedly different tastes in entertainment, an available dual Rear-Seat Entertainment System enables two video sources to be watched at the same time. With seven-inch LCD screens conveniently located behind the front headrests, both systems are controlled with a single remote, feature wireless headphones, and can be used as a DVD player, an audio player or game console."

now when i first read this, i automatically assumed that there would be 2 DVD players (one for each screen). but the brochure didn't say 2 DVD, but 2 video sources. after my brief examination of the remote control, i believe there is only 1 DVD player (which is the DVD changer in the front). the other video source could be a portable DVD player or video game console, which would be plugged into the "video" input at the centre console (pics to come later), and then you use the remote to select "video" to see this second source. hence the meaning of 2 video sources.

i've asked my salesman to confirm whether RSES has DVD players. once he finds out the answer, i'll let everyone know. so i'm unable to answer question #2 and #3 for now. sorry henry.

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-10-09 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 10:35 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when was the last time that we can rely on sales to communicate the right information? I am so surprised that how can you sell a car if you don't know the car enough. I was at a Toyota dealer helping a friend on a 2010 Sienna van with RSES. The sales told us that the front "DVD Navigation System" can play DVD movie itself. I still don't believe the case (would have tested it if my friend bought the car).

Quick Reply: anyone with 2010 rx?