RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 07:17 PM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.

I just picked up the 2010 RX350 and asked the salesperson to provide the cross rails for the roof rack. I figured as long as I had the roof rack, I should also have a set of cross rails in case I need them in the future.

I don't want to keep them on all the time, but can't figure out how to remove them. Does anyone know how to remove them? If you do would you please share the procedure.

Thanks,
Wes
Old 06-25-09, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You have to remove the end cap and slide out the back, be careful with the end caps, they will break easily.
Old 06-25-09, 11:47 AM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

The G Man

Thanks for the reply. Can you be a little more specific.

Wes
Old 06-25-09, 12:57 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

There is some instructions here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...cross-bar.html
Old 06-25-09, 01:22 PM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

The G Man

Thanks for the link with the instructions for the RAV. Not sure if the 2010 RX is the same design. I've pushed and pulled with a twist and without a twist, but no luck so far. I'll have to visit the Lexus dealer and get them to show me how to take them off. I suspect it's easier to put them on than take them off.

Thanks,
Wes
Old 06-26-09, 12:55 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I thought that earlier I saw a post that some of the 450h's did not come with the roof rails--

I just looked at the dealer intro letter that was posted (perhaos in hybrid section) a couple of weeks ago--it stated that the fwd did not come with rails and the awd did--at least for the early configurations.

any confirmation on that
Old 06-26-09, 02:06 PM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

Default I Removed Them

I went to the Lexus dealer and asked the service rep assistant how can I remove the crossbars and he told me the wrong procedure. Then he got a tech who indicated you remove the rear end caps. I told him I knew that, but couldn't remove them. I then said you have to pull them, but it didn't work. I then pull and twisted at the same time and it came up. It's easy once you get the technique down.

The best way to describe it is to grasp the end cap with the right hand close to the rear of the end cap and your left hand next to your right hand while facing the car with you fingers spread on the back side and your thumb on the front side of the crossbar Squeeze the back side with your four fingers while pulling upward toward you carefully and the cap will loosen. If done correctly, it doesn't take a lot of effort. Once the cap is off, the loosened crossbars slide out the back of the rail. There is no other hardware to remove. When you replace them, the front tab is inserted into the rail and then you squeeze the cap as you lower the back end carefully. It will "snap" when it's in place. I was surprised how easy it was. At first I had tried to pull straight back, but the pull should be upward and toward you while squeezing the cap.

Thanks to The G Man for his help and link to the RAV procedure.

Wes

Last edited by wrahn; 06-26-09 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 01:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Wes, did you get the cross bar off by sliding them out?
Old 06-30-09, 02:38 PM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

The G Man

Yes. I loosened the ***** for all the cross bars without removing the *****, then my wife got on one side of the car and I on the other side. Next, we carefully slid the cross bars out the back of the rails. There is no other hardware that has to removed.

If I were more technical, I'd take a video and attach it to this posting, but I'm not.

Wes
Old 07-01-09, 05:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Wes, how about some pics with the 2010 RX minus the cross bar
Old 07-01-09, 06:40 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Wes, how about some pics with the 2010 RX minus the cross bar
Ask and ye shall receive

Here are some photos of our 2010 RX450h model. The FWD are all shipped with out the rails. When side by side, I like it better as I'll never use them anyway. According to the people at the Lexus 800 number they took the rails off to get the last ounce of mileage they could for the mileage ratings. The AWD model still has them. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4624976-post10.html
Old 07-01-09, 07:02 AM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

Default Photos Without Crossbars

Just in case there is some confusion between the term "rails" and "crossbars", the rails come standard on the 2010 RX350 and the are placed on the roof on each side running front to back. The crossbars cost extra and run between the rails.

Since I was asked, I'll try to include some photos of my RX with the crossbars removed. However, in most cases, the photos of the RXs in the Lexus brochures and web site do not have the crossbars.

I looked at the photos of the RX450h without the roof rails and I like the look better than the RX350 with the rails. Now I have to find a way to remove the rails from my RX350.

Wes
Old 07-01-09, 06:29 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, I'd prefer to seeing RX with the roof rails. But it's hard to keep it cleaned.
Old 07-02-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thank Jim, the RX actually looks pretty good naked up top I still would like to see a picture with just the rails and no crossbars, I think that would look better. Lexus should have made the crossbar easily removable like in the Toureg.

Another problem with crossbar is that here in the Northeast, the bars make it harder to clear off the snow from the roof. Its against the law to drive around with snow built up on the top of the car where I live.
Old 07-02-09, 01:02 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Better view, no rails

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thank Jim, the RX actually looks pretty good naked up top I still would like to see a picture with just the rails and no crossbars, I think that would look better. Lexus should have made the crossbar easily removable like in the Toureg.

Another problem with crossbar is that here in the Northeast, the bars make it harder to clear off the snow from the roof. Its against the law to drive around with snow built up on the top of the car where I live.
This is a better view, almost a profile. I should have shot one and may when I have time.
Attached Thumbnails How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-dsc_0031-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.