RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trailer hitch on RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 03:31 PM
51desoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch on RX350

Has anyone installed a hitch on a 2010 RX yet? I received mine from Curt and tried to install it today, but I had a problem removing the lower fascia under the bumper. There are 13 fasteners and 11 are no problem, but there are two unusual fasteners near the exhaust pipe that I can't figure out. They look like a large black rubber washer with a cross in the middle. I tried unscrewing them without success. I'm afraid to pry them loose and possibly ruin them. Has anyone seen these fasteners before?
Old 06-22-09, 07:00 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Dealer did mine. No problem.
Old 06-23-09, 12:41 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Finally crawled under the car to see what you were referring to: I can unscrew them partway until it clicks. Still being retained somewhat by a tab...don't know if you stick a screwdriver into the space between the washer and the plastic to push in a tab or just pop it off. The screw that it's anchored on comes from the floor of the cargo area...doubt you unscrew that. Since I don't have the other 11 fasteners undone, I didn't have enough play to just pop it off. Hope you figured it out by now anyway, and if so would like to see pics.
Old 07-05-09, 07:25 PM
lyeung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 51desoto
Has anyone installed a hitch on a 2010 RX yet? I received mine from Curt and tried to install it today, but I had a problem removing the lower fascia under the bumper. There are 13 fasteners and 11 are no problem, but there are two unusual fasteners near the exhaust pipe that I can't figure out. They look like a large black rubber washer with a cross in the middle. I tried unscrewing them without success. I'm afraid to pry them loose and possibly ruin them. Has anyone seen these fasteners before?
Do you have a Front wheel drive or AWD model? I was told by the dealership that they do not make a hitch for the FWD model yet, and that they only have the AWD model in stock. They also said the FWD model required a relay that the AWD model already has in place.
Old 07-06-09, 07:10 AM
lyeung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 51desoto
Go to this website. Is the rubber isolator removal diagram what you are referring to for the rubber washers that you cannot remove? Also, did you only have to trim the lower fascia to get the hitch to fit? Does it detract from the look of the vehicle if you cut the fascia? DO you have pics? Thanks

http://www.netshops.com/images/pdf/CTM1268.pdf
Old 07-12-09, 03:04 PM
51desoto
Driver School Candidate

Default Successful hitch installation

I haven't checked in for awhile, but I called Curt (hitch maker), and they told me the two problem connectors needed a quarter turn to disconnect. (kind of like Danish furniture) This didn't work, so I just pried them loose without damage. Otherwise installing the Curt hitch was pretty simple. I purchased it at TheHitchStore.com, for $153 and free shipping. This is a high quality product and better than the Valley hitch I had on my MDX. I don't know what the dealer charges, but I am sure it would be much more.
Old 07-18-09, 05:17 PM
afpj
Instructor

Glad to hear you got it installed. Was the wiring difficult? I've seen alot of Curt hitches on Toyotas in general. I have yet to see a 10RX with one...got pics?? Do the instructions that come with the hitch describe the wiring satisfactorily? I assume you had the tow prep package already installed? Thanks for any info...contemplating it myself now.
Old 07-18-09, 05:29 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on getting the hitch problem sorted out, ENJOY!
Old 07-19-09, 12:18 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afpj
Glad to hear you got it installed. Was the wiring difficult? I've seen alot of Curt hitches on Toyotas in general. I have yet to see a 10RX with one...got pics?? Do the instructions that come with the hitch describe the wiring satisfactorily? I assume you had the tow prep package already installed? Thanks for any info...contemplating it myself now.
I installed the curt hitch last weekend on our 2010 RX350 AWD. It was pretty simple & straight forward. Those two clips that you describe ... take a very large-headed phillips head screwdriver and unscrew them, they come off pretty easy.

I will can post a picture of the hitch installed later, but it is very inconspicuous ... doesn't take away from the rear of the vehicle at all!
Old 07-19-09, 01:14 PM
afpj
Instructor

Oh yes, please post pics. Based on the link from a previous post, it mentions cutting the fascia...did you do that and with what tool, dremel? box cutter? Trying to get all the info I can before taking the plunge. Was an engineer by training, but somehow, when it comes to my own cars, stuff takes twice as long
Old 07-21-09, 11:53 AM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered the complete kit from etrailer.com. They advise that the hitch is in Canada so should delivered to me in Ontario with great dispatch and no customs hassles... I will post how it all worked.

In perusing the install instructions, the hitch itself seems quite simple... looking for comments on the electrical part of it.

Thanks in advance

Bill
Old 07-22-09, 02:36 PM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Hitch report

Curt Hitch, draw bar and pin delivered within 24 hours (pretty nice for us Ontario folks). Install took a lazy 2 hours without any help. No big deal, everything fits, cut the fascia with a jig saw and adjusted with a box cutter. The only minor issue was the front, right weldnut was slightly miss-aligned on the rail and took a little work to get the bolt in. Of the 13 fasteners, one pop fastener is hidden behind the mud flap on the left side. Needed a trouble light to see it but all in all this was minor. Good idea to keep track of where the screws/fasteners go as there are few different lengths/types. My suggestion to save time is get a piece of cardboard .... poke holes and install the removed fasteners in said holes in a fashion that will make it clear where they go on the car.

While under there I see there is an electrical connector on the left side up under the fender fascia... hoping that is for the trailer wiring.. if so that will make it easy when I do get the wiring harness from etrailer.com.

Piece of cake, easiest $700 I've ever saved!

Bill
Old 07-22-09, 04:58 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Hi Bill/All

For those who have installed the Curt hitch, is it only for the AWD model or have some of you installed it on the FWD?

Any photos of what the finished product looks like would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Nate
Old 07-22-09, 08:32 PM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tex Lex
Hi Bill/All

For those who have installed the Curt hitch, is it only for the AWD model or have some of you installed it on the FWD?

Any photos of what the finished product looks like would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Nate
I'd call etrailer and ask them... or call a Lexus dealer and check. I'm no engineer, but I can't see why the frame would be that different.

Bill
Old 07-23-09, 03:54 PM
jeep63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BillON1
Hitch report

Curt Hitch, draw bar and pin delivered within 24 hours (pretty nice for us Ontario folks). Install took a lazy 2 hours without any help. No big deal, everything fits, cut the fascia with a jig saw and adjusted with a box cutter. The only minor issue was the front, right weldnut was slightly miss-aligned on the rail and took a little work to get the bolt in. Of the 13 fasteners, one pop fastener is hidden behind the mud flap on the left side. Needed a trouble light to see it but all in all this was minor. Good idea to keep track of where the screws/fasteners go as there are few different lengths/types. My suggestion to save time is get a piece of cardboard .... poke holes and install the removed fasteners in said holes in a fashion that will make it clear where they go on the car.

While under there I see there is an electrical connector on the left side up under the fender fascia... hoping that is for the trailer wiring.. if so that will make it easy when I do get the wiring harness from etrailer.com.

Piece of cake, easiest $700 I've ever saved!

Bill
This is just what I needed; thanks. My wife just purchased a 2010 RX350 with the trailer prep package, but no hitch! I'm a truck guy and this baffles the @#@#%%@ out of me. Anyways I am going to order the Curt Hitch and harness to install myself. Her dealer quoted her close to 1K for parts and installation. Crazy!

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch on RX350