RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

AWD handling vs. FWD vs. Sport Package

Old 06-05-09, 03:36 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AWD handling vs. FWD vs. Sport Package

OK, so in my endless review reading, I came across an article that assesses the handling of the AWD version as compared to the FWD version of the 2010 RX350.

As you are all sick of hearing by now, I think I want the Sport Package, to eliminate the body roll in corners. I've been unable to find one to test drive, and one dealership told me that they'd have to get the Regional Sales Manager's approval in order to make that Special Order (no nav makes it a potential orphan car). Fair enough.

So, this article says that the AWD version drives "flatter" through corners, and the body roll is lessened.

I test drove the FWD, as I was unaware at that time that Lexus has limited the tow prep package to the AWD platform only.

So today, I made an appointment, and test drove an AWD.

I think the reviewer was right - the body roll seemed much less significant, even with some hard cornering (and donuts in the parking lot!)

I may have my solution - AWD, no sport package.

One other oddity: the salesman took my prefs (Matador Red Mica, Luxury package with BLACK interior, AWD, tow prep package, backup camera in rearview mirror, wheel locks, 18" wheels) - and checked the queue.

He says there's one configured like this in "Status A" - which he says means it's to be loaded on the boat Any Minute Now. He CLAIMED that it was inbound from Japan. I asked for clarification, saying I thought all the 2010 RX350's were made in Canada. He claimed this one was of Japanese manufacture. Hmmm.

Anyway, if this is imminent, it could be here by the end of the month. Now to negotiate on price....

So, for those also thinking about the Sport Package, make sure you drive the FWD and AWD platforms back to back. You may find a difference too.

Sandi
Old 06-05-09, 05:09 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask for his word that its from Japan, and send it to this dealer, once you seen it in person you will pick it up and sign the papers.

Once you seen it and its not from Japan you can still back out and get the sports pkg if you want, or you can buy it since you like the AWD. Kind of a win win I think
Old 06-05-09, 05:50 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have told myself so many times, why I FORGOT to check the VIN when test-driving those 2 Sport-pkg-equiped RX350 AWD. 2 dealers told me they're from J. Another driver told me his with Sport pkg is from J...

DUNNO...

I want to see it by my eyes.

I still remembered what the dealers quoted me...

Prem + Navi + Comf RX350 AWD: MSRP - 4K
Prem + Navi + Comf + Sport RX350 AWD: MSRP - 2K
Prem + Navi + Comf + Sport + Luxury + Ente RX350 AWD: MSRP - 2K

Since I didn't feel huge difference btwn with-Sport and without-Sport, I chose 1st option. If I know it's from J, I may think it over.
Old 06-05-09, 06:00 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Yeah, I just checked the Vehicle Inquiry Report that he printed out for me, and the VIN isn't printed on it.

It does say that the "Vessel Number" is 999, and Previous Dealer was 00310 - does that help? Kalvano? Any other clues?

Sandi
Old 06-05-09, 09:39 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
As you are all sick of hearing by now, I think I want the Sport Package, to eliminate the body roll in corners. I've been unable to find one to test drive, and one dealership told me that they'd have to get the Regional Sales Manager's approval in order to make that Special Order (no nav makes it a potential orphan car). Fair enough.

That's crap.

One other oddity: the salesman took my prefs (Matador Red Mica, Luxury package with BLACK interior, AWD, tow prep package, backup camera in rearview mirror, wheel locks, 18" wheels) - and checked the queue.

He says there's one configured like this in "Status A" - which he says means it's to be loaded on the boat Any Minute Now. He CLAIMED that it was inbound from Japan. I asked for clarification, saying I thought all the 2010 RX350's were made in Canada. He claimed this one was of Japanese manufacture. Hmmm.
Some do come from Japan. If it's in "A" status, they should have a VIN now, or soon. Get him to email you the VIN, and either have pull a V-Spec on it, or PM me the VIN and I can do it for you.

A Japanese VIN will start with "J", a Canadian VIN will start with "2T2".
Old 06-05-09, 09:41 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Yeah, I just checked the Vehicle Inquiry Report that he printed out for me, and the VIN isn't printed on it.

It does say that the "Vessel Number" is 999, and Previous Dealer was 00310 - does that help? Kalvano? Any other clues?

Sandi

Ask for the VIN. There is absolutely no reason not to give you then VIN unless he is hiding something.
Old 06-05-09, 09:44 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

That's odd, I am pretty sure the Lux package has 19"s standard.
Old 06-05-09, 10:33 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

lux pkg does have the 19 wheels--
Old 06-06-09, 07:54 AM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

My original order was for a Touring Pack, (the VIN indicated a Canadian build) but the salesperson told me it had VDIM. After a wee bit of research I found that was untrue. When advised of this he said "No, the VDIM is in the Touring Pack".... after calling BS, he re-checked and admitted his product knowledge sucked. So I asked how was I going to get the car I'd ordered, he said I'd have to order the Sport Pack... managed to get the upgrade for cost (?) and the new VIN is a Japanese build. Salesman advised all Sports are still made in the land of the rising sun... not that he's any expert, he just sells them.

Bill
Old 06-06-09, 08:29 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

... ...He says there's one configured like this in "Status A" - which he says means it's to be loaded on the boat Any Minute Now. He CLAIMED that it was inbound from Japan. I asked for clarification, saying I thought all the 2010 RX350's were made in Canada. He claimed this one was of Japanese manufacture. Hmmm.... ...
Originally Posted by rxets
I have told myself so many times, why I FORGOT to check the VIN when test-driving those 2 Sport-pkg-equiped RX350 AWD. 2 dealers told me they're from J. Another driver told me his with Sport pkg is from J...

DUNNO...

I want to see it by my eyes.

I still remembered what the dealers quoted me...

Prem + Navi + Comf RX350 AWD: MSRP - 4K
Prem + Navi + Comf + Sport RX350 AWD: MSRP - 2K
Prem + Navi + Comf + Sport + Luxury + Ente RX350 AWD: MSRP - 2K

Since I didn't feel huge difference btwn with-Sport and without-Sport, I chose 1st option. If I know it's from J, I may think it over.
Well, today I went to the dealer to do the 1month check-up and quickly ran thru the VIN check with those "Sport pkg" RX10, I saw two 2010 RX350 AWD with Sport pkg.... which are all from Cambridge instead of Kyushu.

Perhaps, only the early-built Sport-pkg and lux-pkg RX10 were from Kyushu.
Old 06-07-09, 11:24 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kalvano
That's odd, I am pretty sure the Lux package has 19"s standard.
It does. I had a brain fade, sorry. It's the Premium Package I meant.

I will ask for the VIN, now that I'm back from a weekend away to see family; I made sure to get his email address.

Sandi
Old 06-08-09, 06:00 AM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, today I went to the dealer to do the 1month check-up and quickly ran thru the VIN check with those "Sport pkg" RX10, I saw two 2010 RX350 AWD with Sport pkg.... which are all from Cambridge instead of Kyushu.

Perhaps, only the early-built Sport-pkg and lux-pkg RX10 were from Kyushu.
You guys are from different countries!

Sandi_k, rxets: USA = Sports Package from Cambridge
BillON1: Canada = Sports Package from Japan

From what I understand (asking the dealerships and looking at VINs), in Canada, the base model, the "Sports Package", and the "Ultra Premium Package" come from Japan. The vast majority of the "Premium 1", "Premium 2" and "Touring Package" come from Cambridge (except the early arrivals). This may differ for the States.

Last edited by AEmgee; 06-08-09 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 09:17 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AEmgee
You guys are from different countries!

Sandi_k, rxets: USA = Sports Package from Cambridge
BillON1: Canada = Sports Package from Japan

From what I understand (asking the dealerships and looking at VINs), in Canada, the base model, the "Sports Package", and the "Ultra Premium Package" come from Japan. The vast majority of the "Premium 1", "Premium 2" and "Touring Package" come from Cambridge (except the early arrivals). This may differ for the States.
Fair or unfair!?

Canada sold their Sport pkg RX to USA, but give their ppl the imported Sport pkg RX?

The smart way to do the business...
Old 06-08-09, 09:57 PM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fair or unfair!?

Canada sold their Sport pkg RX to USA, but give their ppl the imported Sport pkg RX?

The smart way to do the business...
Each month, Lexus sells about 7000 RXs in the States and only 700 in Canada. Probably less than 10% of these are the rare Sports Package. So if you ran the company, would you prefer to ship 70 from Cambridge and 7 from Kyushu or the other way around?

The reason the Cambridge plant produces Lexus vehicles is to sell to the USA.
Old 06-08-09, 11:17 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AEmgee
Each month, Lexus sells about 7000 RXs in the States and only 700 in Canada. Probably less than 10% of these are the rare Sports Package. So if you ran the company, would you prefer to ship 70 from Cambridge and 7 from Kyushu or the other way around?

The reason the Cambridge plant produces Lexus vehicles is to sell to the USA.
You could be right. But, I'm still wondering how Toyota makes this decision. Most of Lexus vehicles are imported from Japan, right? If Toyota only wants to export special models of RX from Japan, the shipping cost on small amount of RX from Japana won't change anything. And, selling Cambridge RX to Canada everywhere won't make too big difference on shipping, either.

... ...