RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Seat position memory problem

Old 05-20-09, 06:44 AM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat position memory problem

Anyone able to program their SmartAccess key to link up with the seat position memory...so that when you unlock the car, the seat goes to your position? I've read the instructions and it's supposed to be possible but I can't get it to work. Salesman couldn't either.

tx
Old 05-20-09, 05:57 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

I just got mine to work. Here's what I did.

I already had position 1 set.

With the car running, I created a #2 that was totally not close to position one.

Then, while sitting in position 1, with only one key fob in/near the car, I pressed #1 and held the door lock button.

I heard a small beep (for the door) followed a second later by a louder beep which must have been for the settings.

I reset the seat to position 2, shut the car off, locked it and walked away.

Once the lights turned off I walked back and opened the door. The seat and wheel moved back to position one automatically!

Sweet! good luck!
Old 05-20-09, 06:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. I'm not thinking how to make it work yet...
Old 05-21-09, 03:37 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
I just got mine to work. Here's what I did.

I already had position 1 set.

With the car running, I created a #2 that was totally not close to position one.

Then, while sitting in position 1, with only one key fob in/near the car, I pressed #1 and held the door lock button.

I heard a small beep (for the door) followed a second later by a louder beep which must have been for the settings.

I reset the seat to position 2, shut the car off, locked it and walked away.

Once the lights turned off I walked back and opened the door. The seat and wheel moved back to position one automatically!

Sweet! good luck!
Thanks...you held the door "lock" button...not the unlock...right?
Old 05-21-09, 03:45 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxlex010
Thanks...you held the door "lock" button...not the unlock...right?
I do not remember but it should not matter (i'm guessing it was the button farthest from the driver side window, at least that's what I'd press if I were to do it again)
Old 05-21-09, 04:17 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

I do not remember but it should not matter (i'm guessing it was the button farthest from the driver side window, at least that's what I'd press if I were to do it again)
Just tried this and still doesn't work. Must be a problem with my vehicle. Is your car set up to return the seat to the full back position and the steering wheel to the up position when you turn it off?
Old 05-21-09, 07:28 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Yes.

Did you try setting 1,2,3 to entire different seat positions? Does pressing each move the seat and steering wheel?

Once you have this set (at least one setting) allow the seat and wheel to move to this position. Once it is done moving, press and hold the same number.

Then press and hold either a lock or unlock button till you hear a loud, extended beep. About 1 second to hear it.

To check it worked, move the seat to another position. Shut off, lock and walk away.

Walk back and open the door. The seat should move to your position now.
Old 05-21-09, 08:17 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Yes.

Did you try setting 1,2,3 to entire different seat positions? Does pressing each move the seat and steering wheel?

Once you have this set (at least one setting) allow the seat and wheel to move to this position. Once it is done moving, press and hold the same number.

Then press and hold either a lock or unlock button till you hear a loud, extended beep. About 1 second to hear it.

To check it worked, move the seat to another position. Shut off, lock and walk away.

Walk back and open the door. The seat should move to your position now.
Yep...I did just as you've detailed. I hear the second beep but then it will not go back to the correct position as it should once the car has been locked and reopened (as per the above). I don't know what to think but I'm glad to know that this feature will work as indicated in the owners manual. My salesman was unsure and so I guess I will have to get help from the service department on my next visit at 1000 miles. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-21-09, 10:04 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxets
Cool. I'm not thinking how to make it work yet...
It seemed working for me after giving it a try today. I followed the instructions on the owner manual.

I then removed it successfully, too.
Old 05-22-09, 06:04 AM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxets
It seemed working for me after giving it a try today. I followed the instructions on the owner manual.

I then removed it successfully, too.
Thanks all for the feedback. This is a neat feature which seems to be not working in my vehicle.
Old 05-29-09, 12:31 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Still beating on this horse. I took my RX into the dealership this morning for it's 1000 mile check up and requested that the memory seat and key be linked. Well it turns out that, at least according to the service department at this dealership, you cannot link the key to the memory seat as I had wanted,... i.e. so that when you unlock the car (via the key or touching the door handle), the seat begins to move into your stored position...you don't have to wait, get in and start the vehicle.

So I guess I'm right back to my original post. And just to make sure before I go back to the dealer...there were two positive responses that this feature works as described...anybody else get it to work?
Old 05-29-09, 02:03 PM
ajs
Driver

The owner's manual, page 68, clearly describes how to do this. Section title:

Linking driving position memory with door unlock operation

How can the dealer tell you this cannot be done???

Just show them the manual.
Old 05-29-09, 06:04 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ajs
The owner's manual, page 68, clearly describes how to do this. Section title:

Linking driving position memory with door unlock operation

How can the dealer tell you this cannot be done???

Just show them the manual.

I did! When I first took it in this morning, they took the car right back to the service dept., I waited about an hour, they came and got me saying it had been fixed. The SA demonstrated it to me, explained how to program it myself (a little different than page 68) and it seemed to be working correctly (but wasn't...I found out later) so I went home. I then tried to program my wife's key but it would not work. So back I went. Another 30 min. wait and that's when I was told that it can't be done.

If I can tell the SA that others are able to program this feature then hopefully they will delve further and fix my car. So I'm anxious to hear from others who have been able to make this feature work as intended.
Old 05-29-09, 07:16 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxlex010
I did! When I first took it in this morning, they took the car right back to the service dept., I waited about an hour, they came and got me saying it had been fixed. The SA demonstrated it to me, explained how to program it myself (a little different than page 68) and it seemed to be working correctly (but wasn't...I found out later) so I went home. I then tried to program my wife's key but it would not work. So back I went. Another 30 min. wait and that's when I was told that it can't be done.

If I can tell the SA that others are able to program this feature then hopefully they will delve further and fix my car. So I'm anxious to hear from others who have been able to make this feature work as intended.
WOW. It is clearly stated in the manual. Does your model lack a necessary option or package?

I was able to link both my keys to two diff settings. Works every time.

Raise hell.
Old 06-08-09, 09:09 PM
rxlex010
Driver School Candidate

WOW. It is clearly stated in the manual. Does your model lack a necessary option or package?

I was able to link both my keys to two diff settings. Works every time.

Raise hell.
Hate to keep this thread going but hopefully we'll eventually get to the bottom of the problem....and that might help somebody in the future. Anyhow, I arrived home tonight and found a message on my telephone from the Lexus dealer concerning this "linking" issue. I am now told that (according to Lexus tech. svc.) the drivers memory seat and the Smart Access key cannot be linked as I had thought and as indicated by some of you guys. I plan to contact the SA tomorrow for further details.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat position memory problem