RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ResistAll?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 05:19 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ResistAll?

So I added this and a clear bra to my "on the lot, but missing paperwork" RX. Anyone have experience with it? Was it worth the $400?

Supposed to protect the exterior and interior from a host of dirty things. Seemed logical to me since I don't have a garage and frequent the outdoors.
Old 05-13-09, 07:03 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A clear bra does help. As for if it's worth $400, it's up to what you think.

It's against most of small gravel or rubble when your RX is cruising on the roads. It keeps your car clean in the front. But, with or without it, their future trade-in price may be similar. And, after using it for one or two years, would you like to spend another $400 to replace it?

To me, I think $400 is not expensive. If it can cover the half of engine hood, all of front bumper, skirt, and mirrors, I'll do so.

Do you know what brand your dealer is using? Xpel? Invisible Mask?
Old 05-13-09, 09:38 PM
ajs
Driver

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
So I added this and a clear bra to my "on the lot, but missing paperwork" RX. Anyone have experience with it? Was it worth the $400?

Supposed to protect the exterior and interior from a host of dirty things. Seemed logical to me since I don't have a garage and frequent the outdoors.
Are you saying you got "ResistAll" (whatever that is) and a clear bra for $400???

A good clear bra alone will cost around $700, so I must not be completely understanding your question.
Old 05-14-09, 03:26 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Sorry I did not discern between the two better:

So I added ResistAll to my "on the lot, but missing paperwork" RX. Anyone have experience with ResistAll? Was it worth the $400?

Clear bra was $700. Included everything but the headlights.
Old 05-14-09, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If ResistAll is a telfon based paint sealent and interior protection, then its not worth it. I bought a new car 6 months ago, the dealer offer me the Simonize system 5 protection package for $700. I decline, he came back 10 mins later and offer it to me for $400, and I said no thanks. Talk to a auto detailer last week, he puts on that same sealant for that same dealer for a $100 and he said he could put it on my car for the same price. I am still thinking about it.

The interior protection is nothing more than a can of scotch guard which cost $10.
Old 05-14-09, 07:10 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
If ResistAll is a telfon based paint sealent and interior protection, then its not worth it. I bought a new car 6 months ago, the dealer offer me the Simonize system 5 protection package for $700. I decline, he came back 10 mins later and offer it to me for $400, and I said no thanks. Talk to a auto detailer last week, he puts on that same sealant for that same dealer for a $100 and he said he could put it on my car for the same price. I am still thinking about it.

The interior protection is nothing more than a can of scotch guard which cost $10.
While your comments do make me concerned I'm not sure if its a can of scotch guard...a whole company created to buy and sell scotch guard?

http://www.ctpc.com/Professional/pro1.asp
Old 05-14-09, 07:23 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

If you have small children I'd avoid it like the plague. They're still trying to figure out how teflon get's into people's system... orally, dermally etc...

It's a car, you'll buy another, it isn't an investment... it's a liability, so use it and enjoy it while you have it.
Old 05-14-09, 07:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

btmnk21, what you are paying for is not the scotch guard, its the warranty. If the paint or interior stains under the warranty period, they will repair the stain for free. The aftermarket detailer does not have a warranty. The RX has leather interior so its pretty hard to stain, I would save the $400 and put it to better use.
Old 05-14-09, 09:03 AM
ajs
Driver

Let me guess... they told you that the paint sealant offer is only available at time of sale???

The jury is still out on the effectiveness and value of these products. They'll tell you that they are the best thing since slice bread: "you'll never have to wax your car, and it will look great"... can you say "BULL CRAP"???

There is no such product. The reality is that if you want your paint to look great and last a long time, you need to care for it no matter what. There's no way around having to regularly clean and wax your car.
Old 05-14-09, 06:49 PM
iewiew
Driver

Default Teflon Wax

I use StarBrite marine wax, a teflon base. Bugs almost slide off with water. I have used it for years on the leading edges and props on my plane.
Old 05-15-09, 06:12 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

ajs says: "The jury is still out on the effectiveness and value of these products."
It sounds to me, however, from the rest of his comments, like the jury has returned with a verdict.
As far as I can tell, there is no real dispute about these products; they do not do what the salesmen promise. If there were a year long wax, don't you think we would have heard about it?
Old 05-15-09, 06:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, they are suppose to last longer than a year. 2 to 3 year is what is advertise I believe. A one year wax is not impossible, an over the counter good wax and sealent can last 6 montsh already. so one year is not out of the question.
Old 05-15-09, 07:13 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Two to 3 years of protection is simply ludicrous. No wax lasts 6 months because, for one, it melts in the sun. Polymer sealants applied over wax do not last their usual 6 months because they bond to the paint, and will not bond to wax; when applied over wax, they wear away with the wax. Some apply wax over a properly applied polymer for the look, but added protection from doing this is negligible.
The best and longest lasting single form of paint protection on the market is the polymer sealant (Zaino, etc.) but a polymer must be applied to raw paint from which the wax and other coatings have been removed (because the polymer bonds to the paint or to the clearcoat); this initial prep and application are more complex and time consuming than a simple a simple wax job, but it lasts six rather than one month (or two), and renewal is quick and easy and far less frequent than wax.
Those "products" or "systems" that promise 2 or 3 year (or even 1 year) protection are bogus. After all, there is no "need" to wax or otherwise protect your paint anyway - many cars on the road get waxed never or infrequently or poorly, and although it's fairly easy to spot such cars, their paint can be usually be revived and restored by various techniques; this is where most of these 2 year products will lead you.
For the real skinny on paint protection and maintainence, read advice from the pros (and from the car care fanatics) at:
http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/.

Last edited by tfischer; 05-15-09 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Deleted claim that the CIA lied to me about wax.
Old 05-16-09, 04:49 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

As far as the clear plastic that is applied to the front of the hood, bumpers, etc before you have Lexus do it check out your local high end window tinting people as they sell and install simular stuff. I have a friend who had it installed on his Cayanne about 3 years ago and it is still doing it's job while looking great.
Old 05-16-09, 05:17 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

yeah i got the same price as 3 other places that quoted me. So I feel okay about it.

I did find some spots that seem to be peeling up already. Plus the front hood line is "white" and easily seen, any ideas?

Quick Reply: ResistAll?