RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Turn signal light on side view mirror?

Old 11-23-14, 09:52 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Turn signal light on side view mirror?

We were following an RX350 the other night, it was a later model as the rear wiper was hidden, and I noticed it had turn signal lights at the outboard edge of the side view mirrors. Is this a 2015 thing or something we missed on the 2014?

Might not be enough to trade up for but something I hope continues into the Gen 4 models as it is a feature I like.
Old 11-24-14, 04:40 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife's 2014 has them. You can't see them from inside the car.

You might want to run a test. ��
Old 11-24-14, 09:53 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Been there since the 2010 model.

Which brings me to a question I've had in the back of my head on the same subject. Which is better, mirror indicators that flash to the side/front like the RX, or those in the edge of the mirror itself that tend to shine mostly back.

I know many if not most cars outside of North America have been using side marker lights on the fender just in front of the doors for years that are usually visible from any side angle, but the lights on the mirrors seem to be the only way it's done here. No disrespect, but the overseas side marker lights while probably very simple and very functional, always seemed too simple and functional and thus a little cheesy.

I think the RX way is better that the lights in the mirror itself like on many GM trucks for example, but I'm not sure. Opinions?
Old 11-24-14, 03:02 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

The "BSM" Blind Spot Monitor system, if installed on the 2015 RX350 displays a couple of small high intensity yellow "icons" on the outside edge surface of the respective side view mirror. To also have flashing turn signals displayed on the mirror surface would only confuse the driver
Old 11-24-14, 04:13 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
The wife's 2014 has them. You can't see them from inside the car.

You might want to run a test. ��
Yep, I stood behind the RX and had my wife use the turn signal and could see the lights at the edge of the mirrors. I just figured if I could not see them in the car they were not visible from behind.

Originally Posted by Droid13
Been there since the 2010 model.

Which brings me to a question I've had in the back of my head on the same subject. Which is better, mirror indicators that flash to the side/front like the RX, or those in the edge of the mirror itself that tend to shine mostly back.

I know many if not most cars outside of North America have been using side marker lights on the fender just in front of the doors for years that are usually visible from any side angle, but the lights on the mirrors seem to be the only way it's done here. No disrespect, but the overseas side marker lights while probably very simple and very functional, always seemed too simple and functional and thus a little cheesy.

I think the RX way is better that the lights in the mirror itself like on many GM trucks for example, but I'm not sure. Opinions?
We drove past someone on Sunday that was driving for MILES with the turn signal blinking. Not something I do yet but my wife mentioned it is one of the things that might get me dropped off at the Vets Home. Something she brings up a bit too often.

Originally Posted by RGSW
The "BSM" Blind Spot Monitor system, if installed on the 2015 RX350 displays a couple of small high intensity yellow "icons" on the outside edge surface of the respective side view mirror. To also have flashing turn signals displayed on the mirror surface would only confuse the driver
Yes, I can see TMI, especially at night. We have not had a car with the turn signal visible through the side view mirror so it is difficult to know how distracting it would be. We do like the BSM.