RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hot damn this thing is great!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 10:35 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot damn this thing is great!

It took six weeks, with lots of searching, calling dealers and research but I finally took delivery of my 2010 RX350 today! The dealer had given me a 2008 RX 400h as a loaner for a few days prior to the car coming in. After a couple days I was starting to get a bit worried. I hadn't driven a 2010 in a while and frankly was starting to dislike the 2008. It was too small, didn't seem very nice inside, and didn't have enough power. I was very concerned that I might have made a mistake, but was hoping my memory of the 2010 was accurate!

Long story short, the '10 is fantastic. It's absolutely night and day better than the 2008 and an order of magnitude nicer than my 2000 Acura TL that it replaced. I couldn't be more pleased. It's definitely quieter, but there is more engine noise. Nothing that seemed out of the ordinary though, and the 2008 was a hybrid. Everything I didn't like about the older one is perfect in the new one. My wife laughs when I say this, but it feels like the '10 was built for me. It just fits me and my preferences perfectly.

I ended up getting the comfort, luxury and Mark Levinson packages. All were totally worth it. That's a rare build (1% or so) in my area so it took a while to find it. It's Starfire Pearl (white) with tan interior. It looks and drives great!

There's probably not much more I can say that hasn't been said already, but man I love this car! Oh, and yes I'll post pictures soon!

Cheers,
John
Old 05-05-09, 11:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

congrats john. im interested in your comparison between the second generation, seeing as how the hybrid is more powerful than the 2010 RX350 and the latter is only 1 inch larger both in width and length.
Old 05-05-09, 11:20 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Congrats! Now I can't wait for mine. I'm on my 4th week of this waiting game.
Old 05-06-09, 07:49 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!! Lots of ppl are waiting. Good to see you've got your own. Enjoy.
Old 05-06-09, 12:21 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Thanks everyone.

I wanted to post a few more observations.

First, the acceleration is dramatically better than the 2008. It drives a lot more like a car than an SUV. I found that I had to lay off it a bit as I was driving too fast and too hard. I have noticed some instances where the shifting isn't as smooth as I'd like. But I've only driven it twice so it's a little too early. As I said I'm pushing the car way too hard for a brand new car. I'm going to start laying off a bit and try to respect the size. I'm used to a sedan.

My only real negative thus far is it's bouncier on rough roads than the '08. I was surprised and upset about this when I noticed it this morning. Part of it was my speed, but that wasn't all of it. The new RX suspension just seems bouncier, it was likely a trade off for a more sporty ride. But I'm not a car expert, so I may be way off here. Near where I work there is a terrible road, it's very bouncy and I hate driving on it. But it's also the fastest way in so I've been taking it. In my Acura it was terrible, in the '08 loaner it was a lot better. In the 2010 it was a bit bouncy. As I said I was driving too fast, but I was still a bit disappointed by it. However this is a really bad road, and not normal. In general the 2010 drives beautifully.

I wonder if it's the 19" tires?

All in all the though this is a fantastic vehicle. I'll post more thoughts as I drive it assuming everyone is interested.

Cheers,
John
Old 05-06-09, 01:01 PM
RXSF

check the tire pressure
Old 05-06-09, 01:22 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
check the tire pressure
Thanks, I will. But you wouldn't think it would be low on a 2 day old car! :-)

Cheers,
John
Old 05-06-09, 01:35 PM
RXSF

actually it will probably be high. the dealers/plants over inflate the tires so that they dont flatten out in transport or on the dealer lot
Old 05-06-09, 01:51 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, John, since your car belongs to that 1% rare model, you have done unbelievable works to get this price. The rare car is usually harder to get the huge discount. IMO.

I tried to get that 1% model here, but they only wanted to discount $2500 out of MSRP... If they deduct $4K, I'll take it.
Old 05-06-09, 01:58 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnpg
... First, the acceleration is dramatically better than the 2008. It drives a lot more like a car than an SUV. I found that I had to lay off it a bit as I was driving too fast and too hard.... ... The new RX suspension just seems bouncier, it was likely a trade off for a more sporty ride. ...
To me, '10RX350 isn't like a sedan yet. If you like to taste sedan-like SUV, you should try Q5, Cayenne, X5 or ML350.

However, I do feel RX can provide more comfortable ride on most of roads conditions.
Old 05-06-09, 02:49 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Hi Rets94,

Agreed on the price. Originally they quoted me something similar to what you were offered, but since I live on the LA area I have a lot of dealerships to choose from. Longo Lexus is the #1 dealership and they offered $1500 over invoice over the phone. But they didn't have the car! My dealership matched that. Then later other dealers got the car in, but in the wrong color. One was so anxious to sell it that he offered it to me at invoice price. My dealer then agree to $500 over, which was already a $1000 savings so I just took it. So ultimately it's all about options. I had options and they knew it so they were willing to work a better deal.

As for the Q5, I did drive one, right before I first tried the RX and I hated it. Not that it wasn't a nice vehicle, but it was totally not what I was looking for. My comment about the RX driving more like a car is in comparison to the 2008 RX 400h loaner I had. The new one handles better and when you put your foot on the gas you start moving instantly! Not true for the loaner.

Cheers,
John
Old 05-06-09, 03:34 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Default 200

John,

I see your points. Yes, if you compare with RX predecessors, '10RX should be better in many of aspects. If comparing with Hybrid model, since Hybird is unique, you should feel more difference btwn them.

As for the price, I also worked out my deal with 4 dealership, that's how I get my price down closed to Invoice. But it's only the regular model (prem, Navi, Comf).

No matter how I tried, dealers didn't want to offer any further discount on those rare models. Sigh.
Old 05-06-09, 05:46 PM
LexFather

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 05-06-09, 08:30 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnpg
Hi Rets94,

Agreed on the price. Originally they quoted me something similar to what you were offered, but since I live on the LA area I have a lot of dealerships to choose from. Longo Lexus is the #1 dealership and they offered $1500 over invoice over the phone. But they didn't have the car! My dealership matched that. Then later other dealers got the car in, but in the wrong color. One was so anxious to sell it that he offered it to me at invoice price. My dealer then agree to $500 over, which was already a $1000 savings so I just took it. So ultimately it's all about options. I had options and they knew it so they were willing to work a better deal.
John, who'd you deal with at Longo? Congrats on the build... I want heads up, AWD, tow, rear ent, radar cruise. Probably going to have to special order.

Last edited by tazdevl; 05-06-09 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 08:56 PM
johnpg
Rookie

Originally Posted by tazdevl
John, who'd you deal with at Longo? Congrats on the build... I want heads up, AWD, tow, rear ent, radar cruise. Probably going to have to special order.
You'll need to special order for sure. I worked with Martin, he's in Internet sales. He was a good guy, very straight about pricing and was willing to do a special order.

Cheers,
John

Quick Reply: Hot damn this thing is great!