RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Key fob security

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 08:13 AM
igeorge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much. 5 more hours to go and counting until the blast off on it.
I will inform you all of you guys the goods and bad, because i am a very demanding person when i want a toy ..... not like my girlfriend which is very relax as long as she have anything to grab on, regardless shape, length, material .... he he he, don't visualize during office hours
Old 03-27-09, 09:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by igeorge
not like my girlfriend which is very relax as long as she have anything to grab on, regardless shape, length, material .... he he he, don't visualize during office hours
In that case, the joystick on the new RX will come in handy for her
Old 03-27-09, 11:37 AM
igeorge
Driver School Candidate

As long as she know where it is ..... but i am afraid, in this new one where the shifter is moved way in the front, no shifter, joystick hard to find ... 2" , what expect ...and she having the habit to drive with the hand on it .... did i say shifter ? ....she will start moving the hand around to get on something, while she keeps the eye on the road, then .....
Old 03-27-09, 12:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

On a serious note, thats one of the things I dont like about the RX, the shifter location. I like to rest my hands on the shifter sometimes when I am driving. I am glad Lexus went back to the center console armrest in the 2010 RX, I hate those captain's chair arm rest on the 09.
Old 03-27-09, 12:26 PM
igeorge
Driver School Candidate

You are perfectly right. That was one of my reason to hesitate before, the arm chair and shifter. I will see
10,9,8,7,6,... the shutle is here to take me to the toy.
Old 03-28-09, 11:40 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The G Man is actually right in this case.

The vehicle will NOT shut down once it's been started...even if the fob is not in range.

We had this discussion in the IS F forum and I tested it out myself to confirm. The vehicle, aside from the annoying initial warning signal, is fully driveable without the key being present.

The only way to stop normal driving would be to turn the car off or run out of gas. If the stupid thief shut the car down, of course they wouldn't be able to restart it.

I used to think that the tranny wouldn't engage without the fob...and was completely wrong...lol. Guess I'm lucky my F didn't go missing all those times I let it run.
Old 04-21-09, 04:45 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Got the answer. To let somebody out while on drive, you must put the foot on the brake , and keep the car stopped. Lexus, like my FX35, key fob has a very short range area. When my car is running, and i step out of the car, the moment i close the door a small alarm, like chirp sound start to let me know that i am out of the car with the key in my pocket and the engine running. The same feature can shut of the engine.
Scenario: My foot on the brake, fob out of the car, door closed ==> engine off.
So i will call the passenger to return the fob in order to drive.
tfisher, the key must be in a certain very short range 2-3 feet to open the door, and for start even closer. On my car, if i stay outside of the door but very close to the car, and somebody is in the driver seat and try to start, does not. I must seat on the seat , with the key in my pocket to start. The range for start i believe is probably 1-2 feet.
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The G Man is actually right in this case.

The vehicle will NOT shut down once it's been started...even if the fob is not in range.

We had this discussion in the IS F forum and I tested it out myself to confirm. The vehicle, aside from the annoying initial warning signal, is fully driveable without the key being present.

The only way to stop normal driving would be to turn the car off or run out of gas. If the stupid thief shut the car down, of course they wouldn't be able to restart it.

I used to think that the tranny wouldn't engage without the fob...and was completely wrong...lol. Guess I'm lucky my F didn't go missing all those times I let it run.
Man... this is so confused!!! But, well, thanks so much for all the involved experiments to get the answers to us.
Old 04-21-09, 04:56 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

igeorge, thanks for your thread and efforts of getting the answers to all of us.

Perhaps, not too many ppl would like to get these answer or know the results, but I will love to know. I'll even want to know what's going to happen if

1. the start button is accidently pushed during driving on the roads

2. you're dining in the restaurant and the parking lot is in the certain range, will this make your '10RX always stand by for starting the engine? (I guess it won't due to it must be within a few feet range.)

3. how to Valet parking '10RX? Is there the special key or fob for the valet parking? When they drive your car out of the parking lots or garage and welcome you to get on the car, will your master key fob interfere with the one you give to the valet parking guys?

4. You and the passenger all carry one key fob, and your passenger puts hers on the bag stored in the space closed to your Start Button, which fob will trigger the Start Button? I meant which one will trigger the button when there are 2 key fobs nearby.

5. If
your GF or wife with the key fob goes on the car first -> start the engine for you -> sit on the passenger side waiting for your arrival -> you carry your own key fob jumping on the car -> she leaves the car in the entrance of the mall, what's going to happen?
Old 04-21-09, 09:15 PM
2010RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rets94
igeorge, thanks for your thread and efforts of getting the answers to all of us.

Perhaps, not too many ppl would like to get these answer or know the results, but I will love to know. I'll even want to know what's going to happen if

2. you're dining in the restaurant and the parking lot is in the certain range, will this make your '10RX always stand by for starting the engine? (I guess it won't due to it must be within a few feet range.)

3. how to Valet parking '10RX? Is there the special key or fob for the valet parking? When they drive your car out of the parking lots or garage and welcome you to get on the car, will your master key fob interfere with the one you give to the valet parking guys?

4. You and the passenger all carry one key fob, and your passenger puts hers on the bag stored in the space closed to your Start Button, which fob will trigger the Start Button? I meant which one will trigger the button when there are 2 key fobs nearby.

5. If
your GF or wife with the key fob goes on the car first -> start the engine for you -> sit on the passenger side waiting for your arrival -> you carry your own key fob jumping on the car -> she leaves the car in the entrance of the mall, what's going to happen?
1. Don't know. The positioning of the start button makes this hard to do accidentally. I don't want to try this to see what happens.

2. If you are in the restaurant and the RX is in the parking lot, the car won't start if someone pushes the button. The range is very short, so you're too far away. If you step outside of the car with the key in your pocket and the engine running, the display flashes a message that no key is detected and an alarm sounds. Incidentally, if you stand on the driver's side with the doors locked and the key in your pocket, someone standing on the other side of the car cannot open the passenger side door unless they have a key as well.

3. Valet parking:There is no valet fob. If you lock your glove box, detach the metal key and give them the plastic master fob.

4. Don't know. My wife doesn't put her purse in that space, so my fob is always closer to the start button. However, we both carry fobs and the car recognizes my fob when I get into the driver's seat and adjusts the seat accordingly.

5. Again, don't know. However, the brake pedal needs to be depressed for the engine to start. This would make it hard for someone for a front passenger to start the car.
Old 04-21-09, 09:27 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

5. If

1) Nothing. It won't shut down unless you are in "Park".

2) No. The key fob has to be inside the vehicle to start it.

3) You give them the key fob. There is no "valet fob". It would serve no purpose.

4) One will. It doesn't really matter which one, nothing changes with different fobs when starting the car.

5) I don't really understand what you are asking.

Also, once you start a car, even if you take the fob out, the car will drive and run until it runs out of gas.
Old 04-22-09, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It wont grind the starter if thats what you mean. Its a pretty smart system, the Lexus engineers already thought of all the things that can go wrong.
Old 04-22-09, 07:14 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

How many FOBs do you get when you buy a new RX?
Old 04-22-09, 07:19 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
How many FOBs do you get when you buy a new RX?
You get 2.
Old 04-22-09, 07:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you very much. 5 more hours to go and counting until the blast off on it.
I will inform you all of you guys the goods and bad, because i am a very demanding person when i want a toy .....
Igeorge, what ever happen to your experiment. Have you try driving the car without the fob yet?
Old 04-22-09, 03:11 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

2010RX, kalvano, The G Man, thanks all for answering those questions. It helps me understand more about RX's system.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Key fob security