RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lease Numbers on 2010 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 07:48 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DNC
I agree and I really hate leaving Lexus. I think my family and I were once their target customers. They seem to have lost their direction with this new RX. They are trying to charge German prices for something that doesn't reflect the fit and finish of the previous RX muchless that of Audi or BMW. I miss the Lexus of yesterday.
Here is what one very well respected and knowledgeable member of the Edmunds Luxury Lounge Forum had to say about the BMW X5 and the Audi Q5 when comparing it to the RX350 and the RX450h a few days ago. Also keep in mind that this gentleman has been a German car lover for years. Here are his remarks:

"My wife and I tested the Lexus RX350 and it was significantly better than what we had expected.

Unlike you Jimbres we were not $75 richer as a result of that test drive. But at least we did not become poorer since it was a weekend and the stockmarkets were closed.

This has everything a crossover should have. Reliable, good in snow, ample passenger space, the RX450h has 30 percent better city fuel economy than a AWD Toyota Matrix, fantastic quality and "fit and finish" detail, very luxurious, enough power, great cargo space and features galore.

Cant figure out why anyone would buy a BMW X3 or X5 (without the useless 3rd row) or a Audi Q5? These vehicles dont have much more space than a BMW touring or Audi Avant wagon. Most people will buy a BMW X or Audi Q instead of a Lexus RX because of performance/handling reasons. But to me that rings a bit hollow especially if such drivers are intentionally overlooking far better performing/handling Audi Avant and BMW Touring wagons without much sacrifice in terms of space.

I saw the Audi Q5 at the Toronto Auto Show and it was completely useless for a fifth passenger. The rear had a huge hump at the centre and an oversized and highly intrusive rear heating/ac system control panel that would cause major leg cramps for any middle rear seat passenger who happens to be taller than four feet high and result in putting his knees in front of his face or instead spreading his legs around the hump in the middle and squeezing the legs of both his neighboring passengers.

The Lexus RX is designed for comfort (rear and front) for tall drivers who who don't like sadistically punishing fifth passengers. This vehicle has no pretensions of performance like the German marques and in fact I find that good. The dependable high quality RX is what MB should be making instead of the ML or GL. or God-forbid the GLK."
Old 03-03-09, 09:41 PM
sarah

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
The Lexus RX is designed for comfort (rear and front) for tall drivers who who don't like sadistically punishing fifth passengers. This vehicle has no pretensions of performance like the German marques and in fact I find that good. The dependable high quality RX is what MB should be making instead of the ML or GL. or God-forbid the GLK."
I agree with everything you mentioned. Except the part about comfort for
tall drivers and passenger. (at least for anyone over 6'1" or 6'2") That
was the only thing they didn't like when we went to test drive the new RX.
Old 03-03-09, 11:23 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PatsSoxfan, This is not a Friday night football game, this is simply a personal preference for a car. I like Lexus and have purchased three in the past but Lexus isn't what it used to be. They used to be a reasonably priced dependable car that didn't try to be BMW or Mercedes. I left Mercedes because of that, but Lexus seems to have forgotten how they got me in their showroom to begain with; by offering a nice car at a good price.
I have owned many German cars, have been active in national German car clubs (and others), and I am very hands on with my cars of all types, so I know what I expect from a car. I have no need to see an editor's review that reads like a sales brochure. I have no interest in his opinion of that humb in the back seat as five people will never ride in my car. I am more interested in AWD vs. Quattro, crash test results, safety features, performance, etc. I have been there and driven the cars myself and formed my own opinion. When comparing Lexus and the German cars all one has to do is change the oil in an example of each just once and the difference is obvious.
Now if my dealership will give me a traditional Lexus price I will buy a new RX, but I will not pay more, or even the same price, for the new RX that I can buy a car that is much it's superior. I am considering Lexus, BMW, and Audi. Whichever company gets my business had better not take it for granted. I have the feeling Lexus has taken me for granted just as Mercedes did a few years ago. I voted with my checkbook then and I will do the same this time.
Now go buy your Lexus and enjoy it. It will serve you well. You have made up your mind. I have not.
Old 03-04-09, 06:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
PatsSoxfan, This is not a Friday night football game, this is simply a personal preference for a car. I like Lexus and have purchased three in the past but Lexus isn't what it used to be. They used to be a reasonably priced dependable car that didn't try to be BMW or Mercedes. I left Mercedes because of that, but Lexus seems to have forgotten how they got me in their showroom to begain with; by offering a nice car at a good price.
I have owned many German cars, have been active in national German car clubs (and others), and I am very hands on with my cars of all types, so I know what I expect from a car. I have no need to see an editor's review that reads like a sales brochure. I have no interest in his opinion of that humb in the back seat as five people will never ride in my car. I am more interested in AWD vs. Quattro, crash test results, safety features, performance, etc. I have been there and driven the cars myself and formed my own opinion. When comparing Lexus and the German cars all one has to do is change the oil in an example of each just once and the difference is obvious.
Now if my dealership will give me a traditional Lexus price I will buy a new RX, but I will not pay more, or even the same price, for the new RX that I can buy a car that is much it's superior. I am considering Lexus, BMW, and Audi. Whichever company gets my business had better not take it for granted. I have the feeling Lexus has taken me for granted just as Mercedes did a few years ago. I voted with my checkbook then and I will do the same this time.
Now go buy your Lexus and enjoy it. It will serve you well. You have made up your mind. I have not.
Old 03-04-09, 08:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I miss the Lexus of yesterday.
Same here, its almost like Lexus was a different car comapny from 10 years ago. What ever happen to those solid cars they use to build at half of the price of the German cars . Lexus do comapre with the German counterparts on papaer, but one can compare spec sheet all they want, the differnece is in way a car drives and the way it feels. Once inside a X5 or a Q5, you will notice the difference right away, how much more solid those cars are and how much more rigid there chassis is. Built quality used to be Lexus biggest advantage, after years of cost cutting, it is no longer an advantage for Lexus. In fact, I find some of the recent German cars better built than the recent Lexus. Take a quick corner on the road with those German cars, you would not feel the body flex like you do with the Lexus. Push on the interior panels of those German cars and you dont hear squeaking noise like you do with Lexus. Overall, the new German cars are better design and better built.
I am like DNC, I have owned 4 Lexus in a row, but I will not buy a Lexus just because its a Lexus. I buy from which ever car manufacturer is currently making the best car for the money. Every car comapnies have up and down cycles when it comes to design and quality. Lexus peak in their cycle 10 years ago and they are near bottom now. Audi and MB is on the up cycle, they have continue to improve on quality and design.

Last edited by The G Man; 03-04-09 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 08:36 AM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Same here, its almost like Lexus was a different car comapny from 10 years ago. What ever happen to those solid cars they use to build at half of the price of the German cars . Lexus do comapre with the German counterparts on papaer, but one can compare spec sheet all they want, the differnece is in way a car drives and the way it feels. Once inside a X5 or a Q5, you will notice the difference right away, how much more solid those cars are and how much more rigid there chassis is. Built quality used to be Lexus biggest advantage, after years of cost cutting, it is no longer an advantage for Lexus. In fact, I find some of the recent German cars better built than the recent Lexus. Take a quick corner on the road with those German cars, you would not feel the body flex like you do with the Lexus. Push on the interior panels of those German cars and you dont hear squeaking noise like you do with Lexus. Overall, the new German cars are better design and better built.
There's no question about the German cars superior handling and feel. Once you drive one it's hard to go back. But the Germans still don't have a clue about electronics and computers in cars. If you can put up with being driven half out of your mind with all the glitches go for it.
Old 03-04-09, 11:39 AM
DNC
Advanced

I am on the same page with The G Man and Tigerbait. For me I always felt what Lexus offered was dependability, customer service, and price. When they stopped concentrating on those issues they lost their target. I didn't expect the RX to be an M Class or an X5. It's was like comparing apples to oranges. Those vehicles come from companies with different pedigrees than Lexus. Lexus pedigree involves a history of dependability, not the Autobahn. But today Lexus seems to want to be like the Germans in price.
Now I will mention a car I know NOTHING about. I received a brochure in the mail today on the Acura MDX. The interior and features seem very attractive. I wonder if this will be the real competition for Lexus? Maybe I should add this to my list of considerations.
I hope Lexus gets their head before I am out the door and on to another company, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-04-09, 12:09 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
We obviously are in big disagreement here. You state that Lexus should not try to be a Mercedes or a BMW. I ask you, what is so sacred about these two? Other than better road feel/handling that a lot of us couldn't care less about, what is it that these German cars have over Lexus? A lot of people that buy German cars do it for the so called prestige which again I could not care less about. Why shouldn't Lexus be competitive in pricing with BMW, Audi, and Mercedes? Besides, last time I checked, Lexus is still a much better value in my opinion. I purchased a gorgeous LS460L a year ago and I paid at least $15K less than it would have cost me to purchase a comparably equipped S550. As far as depreciation is concerned, Lexus also comes out on top.

We obviously have much different opinions. You would obviously go for the German CUV if pricing is similar and I would go for the Lexus RX350/450h. To me, it is a no "brainer". Good luck to both of us.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 03-04-09 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 12:13 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DNC
Well stated, and I believe that you speak for many of us with the same dilemma.
Old 03-04-09, 12:28 PM
DNC
Advanced

We obviously are in big disagreement here. You state that Lexus should not try to be a Mercedes or a BMW. I ask you, what is so sacred about these two? Other than better road feel/handling that a lot of us couldn't care less about, what is it that these German cars have over Lexus? A lot of people that buy German cars do it for the so called prestige which again I could not care less about. Why shouldn't Lexus be competitive in pricing with BMW, Audi, and Mercedes? Besides, last time I checked, Lexus is still a much better value in my opinion. I purchased a gorgeous LS460L a year ago and I paid at least $15K less than it would have cost me to purchase a comparably equipped S550. As as far as depreciation is concerned, Lexus also comes out on top.

We obviously have much different opinions. You would obviously go for the German CUV if pricing is similar and I would go for the Lexus RX350/450h. To me, it is a no "brainer". Good luck to both of us.
Believe me when I say prestige is not an issue with me. That's one reason Lexus was able to pull me out of the German showrooms from the beginning. I think I have already answered all the question you have asked me. You are a very loyal customer to Lexus especially after the issues you guys have had with the wind noise in the new bodies LS. I would have lost my temper with that long ago and bought another car. That entire experience sounds like Mercedes back in the late 1980's and was one of my reasons for coming to the Lexus camp. Once the customer service is lost Lexus is done in my world. I will go crawing off to the German showrooms again.
I believe we are getting off track with this thread. Let's move on or we can take this discussion private so as not to bore everyone else.
Old 03-04-09, 02:46 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

You are correct in that people are probably getting bored with this discussion. I will just end it by saying that as far as the wind noise issue with the LS is concerned, it has been disappointing that it has taken Lexus forever to come up with a good solution, but it looks like they have finally arrived at one.

One of the loyal members of Club Lexus, "jmcraney" discovered a very simple and inexpensive fix more than a year ago. But you know how it is with huge companies. It is not so simple with them to admit that someone has discovered a fix that only costs $3.00. In any case, I love my LS.
Old 03-04-09, 03:00 PM
DNC
Advanced

One of the loyal members of Club Lexus, "jmcraney" discovered a very simple and inexpensive fix more than a year ago. But you know how it is with huge companies. It is not so simple with them to admit that someone has discovered a fix that only costs $3.00. In any case, I love my LS.
This is a perfect example of what makes these forums great! I am glad to hear the issue has been resolved.
I don't know what I would have done without such forums back in the day I was driving Mercedes.
Old 03-04-09, 03:09 PM
DNC
Advanced

I have received a quote on a 2010 RX as follows:
MSRP $50,588
Discounted to $46,000
0 down, 12,000 miles per year, 36 months, $744 per month.
I have not had time to think about this but wanted to post it ASAP for the rest of you who might be in negotiations. These terms do not meet my needs.
Old 03-04-09, 05:37 PM
06GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
MSRP $50,588
Discounted to $46,000
I have not had time to think about this but wanted to post it ASAP for the rest of you who might be in negotiations. These terms do not meet my needs.
Wow! Those terms meet my needs. I'm in Charlotte, NC...which dealer offered u this?
Old 03-04-09, 06:32 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
MSRP $50,588
Discounted to $46,000
With all due respect, those terms look fabulous to me. I'm thinking that if I get a deal like that, I may forgo the one payment lease and take this deal.

Quick Reply: Lease Numbers on 2010 RX?