RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lease Numbers on 2010 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 08:27 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DNC
Yes, the price has changed as you will find out when you discover the money factor of the one time payment you have already decided to hand over without knowing the cost to you. They are losing my attention because they are pricing themselves out of the market. I drove one for a couple of days and as much as I like it, it cannot compete with BMW and Audi when it comes to handling, performance, safety, fit, and finish. That is all fine to me when Lexus isn't trying to price the RX like the Germans. The issues that caused me to lease an RX were dependability, customer service, and pricing. The last two are beginning to slip. The RX we have priced is over $50K. I am not saying I will not end up paying that for a vehicle but if I do it will not be an RX.
Having said all that it comes down to personal opinion. If the RX meets your standards for the price you will probably be happy with it. It is a nice vehicle. It's just not worth the asking price to me. Given a choice between my money or the RX, I will take my money. If they drop the price I will revisit the issue if I haven't already purchased another vehicle.
How has the price changed? The difference between a fully loaded 2009 and a 2010 RX is miniscule. Besides, the new generation has so much more to offer over the 2009 model. What is the cost of a comparably equipped BMW or Audi? I don't really know for sure since I have no interest in these models, but I imagine they are at least 5K more than the RX.

Regarding the one payment lease, the price of the RX450h is far from being released yet. But I imagine it will be about 5K more than the RX350. In any case, I am not too concerned about it since I know my dealer will give me a great deal (been a loyal customer for many years and I have also steered other customers their way). In 3 years we will go through this process again with the new model just as we are now doing with the RX400h.
Old 03-02-09, 12:58 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
How has the price changed? The difference between a fully loaded 2009 and a 2010 RX is miniscule. Besides, the new generation has so much more to offer over the 2009 model. What is the cost of a comparably equipped BMW or Audi? I don't really know for sure since I have no interest in these models, but I imagine they are at least 5K more than the RX.

Regarding the one payment lease, the price of the RX450h is far from being released yet. But I imagine it will be about 5K more than the RX350. In any case, I am not too concerned about it since I know my dealer will give me a great deal (been a loyal customer for many years and I have also steered other customers their way). In 3 years we will go through this process again with the new model just as we are now doing with the RX400h.
The MSRP may not appear to have changed much but you have a rude awakening when you see the difference in terms (money factors, discount, etc.). If I am going to pay what I have been quoted I need more from the product. I hope you are able to secure a better deal from your dealer than I was quoted. After 3 cars and 18 referrals I didn't find the discounts that I got in the past. I am sure they are suffering in this economy. If the RX is what you want I wish you more luck than I have had. Good luck!
Old 03-02-09, 01:09 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by salimshah
There is got to be something wrong with the fuzzy math. The real test may be, going to an independent agency which leases [credit score, rates would be the same for a customer].

I see a a tremendous difference in the residual value (% wise). I suspect the the residual value on GL550 is inflated to a point where purchasing one will be a bad decision.

Can some one find flaws with my logic?

Salim
What this lady is reporting is spot on correct from what I see. I have a friend who leased a BMW 7 Series for $300 per month less than a new LS. The terms of the lease were exactly the same with the 7 Series listing for $12,000 more and providing free service AND he was able to negotiate a new set of tires when needed. I was there for both dealer visit. I saw it with my own eyes.
Old 03-02-09, 01:17 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

If you are being quoted MSRP, you should not be surprised.

Let the waiting line get smaller and smaller and then you can expect discounts/incentives.

If you have had a long term relationship, you may feel entitled to "previous good deals", but why would the dealership loose a short window of higher profit opportunity.

off-topic: The overall economy is bad, but the market has still people who are able/willing to spend money on things they want. The waiting lines are still as long as before for restaurants and shops I visit [it very well could be Murphy's law]

Salim
Old 03-02-09, 01:28 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
What this lady is reporting is spot on correct from what I see. I have a friend who leased a BMW 7 Series for $300 per month less than a new LS. The terms of the lease were exactly the same with the 7 Series listing for $12,000 more and providing free service AND he was able to negotiate a new set of tires when needed. I was there for both dealer visit. I saw it with my own eyes.
So is it the residual value? Then how real is it? Based on how well (or not so well) the 7 series hold their value, can I conclude that the BMW7 will be upside down at the end of the lease. Outright buyers will be at loss and the people who leased would be very happy. Who will end up holding the bag, when the bubble bursts?

Salim
Old 03-02-09, 01:53 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by salimshah
So is it the residual value? Then how real is it? Based on how well (or not so well) the 7 series hold their value, can I conclude that the BMW7 will be upside down at the end of the lease. Outright buyers will be at loss and the people who leased would be very happy. Who will end up holding the bag, when the bubble bursts?

Salim
It's all about playing with the factors. The reasons you mention is my logic for NEVER buying a new car. I would lease a new car but I would only buy a car that is around 2 years old. A friend of mine who owns a new car dealership has figured out that is the only way to go. The people who "buy" new cars just get killed on the depreciation. I used to call leasing nothing more than vehicle prostitution, now it's the only way I would spend the money on a new car. I lease cars for my parents, which helps keep them in the latest safety features as they are elderly. I buy my cars.
Old 03-02-09, 10:31 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MB and BMW use artificially high residuals and buy down the money factor to ridiculous rates to get those low payments.

It's a good deal for customers, but bad for MB and BMW. I think it was June last year BMW had to drop the residual on the 3-series about 8 points due to taking such heavy losses on lease returns.
Old 03-03-09, 04:32 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
The MSRP may not appear to have changed much but you have a rude awakening when you see the difference in terms (money factors, discount, etc.). If I am going to pay what I have been quoted I need more from the product. I hope you are able to secure a better deal from your dealer than I was quoted. After 3 cars and 18 referrals I didn't find the discounts that I got in the past. I am sure they are suffering in this economy. If the RX is what you want I wish you more luck than I have had. Good luck!
You have not answered one of my questions: What is the cost of a comparably equipped (compared to the RX350) BMW or Audi? My contention is that the MSRP for these two is at least $5K more.
Old 03-03-09, 06:34 AM
sarah

Originally Posted by kalvano
MB and BMW use artificially high residuals and buy down the money factor to ridiculous rates to get those low payments.

It's a good deal for customers, but bad for MB and BMW. I think it was June last year BMW had to drop the residual on the 3-series about 8 points due to taking such heavy losses on lease returns.
definitely good for customers... and MB and BMW are drawing in a lot of customers who normally don't think they can drive a MB... my father is only paying a little over $1000 for a '09 GL550(MSRP $81,000) for a 4 year, 48000-mile, lease.

On the other hand... if I purchased a 2010 RX450h(MSRP $51,000) and a 2009 MB GL550 today, which one will have better residual value after 4 years and48000 miles? I think both will be a little over the 51%, right?
Old 03-03-09, 06:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You have not answered one of my questions: What is the cost of a comparably equipped (compared to the RX350) BMW or Audi? My contention is that the MSRP for these two is at least $5K more.
The Audi Q5 is priced the same as the RX.
Old 03-03-09, 07:35 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Thank you! Do you know what the cost of the BMW is?

In any case, I'll choose the RX for a CUV and Lexus in general until such time that Lexus service and reliability have gone to the toilet. Lexus is the best.
Old 03-03-09, 07:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you! Do you know what the cost of the BMW is?

In any case, I'll choose the RX for a CUV and Lexus in general until such time that Lexus service and reliability have gone to the toilet. Lexus is the best.

That's great.
After 3 straight Lexus vehicles,I think I'm going to go with something else next time.Maybe an Audi.
Like Toyota vehicles,Lexus quality isn't what it was.
Perhaps the new RX is a step back in the right quality direction.
Old 03-03-09, 12:12 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Quite agree, I 'built' a new RX on the Lexus web site and then 'built' a Q5 similarly equipped, the delta is at best a couple hundred dollars, with the Q being a bit cheaper. The key will be what kind of mark-down the dealers are willing to take. So far, the Q is leading, but that can be subject to change with availability of more RX's and the initial excitement dying down. I suspect that Lexus will be more than willing to deal given a few more months with the current economy, and when a paucity of buyers begins to take a toll.
Old 03-03-09, 02:51 PM
DNC
Advanced

An MSRP of $8,000 more for the BMW X5 and a lease payment of $144 less per month than the Lexus. The BMW also includes service.
As much as I love Lexus the new RX cannot compete with the X5, and now not even in cost.
Old 03-03-09, 02:58 PM
DNC
Advanced

That's great.
After 3 straight Lexus vehicles,I think I'm going to go with something else next time.Maybe an Audi.
Like Toyota vehicles,Lexus quality isn't what it was.
Perhaps the new RX is a step back in the right quality direction.
I agree and I really hate leaving Lexus. I think my family and I were once their target customers. They seem to have lost their direction with this new RX. They are trying to charge German prices for something that doesn't reflect the fit and finish of the previous RX muchless that of Audi or BMW. I miss the Lexus of yesterday.

Quick Reply: Lease Numbers on 2010 RX?