RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 04:47 PM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Package

Does anyone have the Perfomance Package on their 2004 RX 330? If so, what are your thoughts? I was going to go for the AWD Premium Plus Package, but my husband is interested in the Performance Package. Unfortunately, they do not have one to test drive at our local dealer. We were wondering if it would handle better on curvy mountain roads, etc. Thanks for any feedback!!
Old 10-20-03, 05:18 PM
eyebike
Driver

I've had the performance package since April. It was one of those items I had to have. The car does handle somewhat better with it. However, you have to manually put the air suspension in the L mode each time you turn the car on. Driving around town, it's not necessary.

After awhile, I've gotten out of the habit of using the L mode. I have found that in regular mode, the RX really does handle pretty well, so it's pretty much unnecessay the vast majority of the time. Vermont is close by, so if I am on a windy mountain road going fast downhill, I'll put it in L mode. Also, my kids also complain the ride is too stiff when set in L mode, another reason not to use it. A few other forum members too also have written that they always dont use it too.

So if I were to buy an RX today, I'd probably pass on the performance package as long as the car has the 18" wheels.

Last edited by eyebike; 10-20-03 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 05:30 PM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

Default eyebike

Thanks for the candid response. As for the 18" wheels, would you get them for looks or performance? Can I get the Premium Plus and add the 18's seperately? I have not seen how they look on the cars - does anyone have a photo of the difference? Also, the pivot headlights are appealing, but I think those too are only on the Performance Package - but certainly not worth the $ just for that option.
Old 10-20-03, 09:15 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

Our RX 330 with premium plus also came with the 18" wheels option (which was something like 200 bucks, well worth it). 18" wheels look about right for the RX and they do improve handling at the cost of ride smoothness.
Old 10-21-03, 08:43 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Bandit, you are correct. The adaptive headlights are only available as part of the Performance Package. And I don't know about your area, but my sales guy tells me that they are receiving virtually no Performance Package vehicles. (Also seems that the ML/NAV package is in somewhat short supply at my dealership, which is a bummer since SHE is more or less ready for me to replace her RX300 with the 330 and we both agree on the ML/NAV package).
Old 10-21-03, 09:56 AM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

Default ML System

You know what is so funny, is that most everyone on this board wants the ML system, but when I tried both the ML and the standard system, quite frankly, the standard Lexus stereo sounded better... how is that possible?
Old 10-21-03, 10:57 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, everybody has different ears, for one thing.

More commonly, tone controls for the less expensive system are boosted, ie, bass, midrange, and treble controls are turned up which gives an impression of fuller sound compared to a "better" system with tone controls that are set flat (tone controls set so that sound is neither boosted nor suppressed).

When comparing sound systems, it's necessary to make sure that you listen to the exact same program material (cd is obviously best), that tone controls are flat for both, and that volume is very carefully matched (a system that is slightly louder will sound "better").

Finally, you have to literally jump from one car to the other, since the brain has no real aural memory and listening to one system 15 minutes after listening to another system isn't a valid comparison. When comparing home systems, the listening room is set up to switch between speakers with all other parameters matched (at least, this is so in a reputable store that's not trying to sell one particular speaker over another).

Hope that helps. Regardless, we like what we like!!
Old 10-21-03, 11:07 AM
eyebike
Driver

For the slight extra cost, the 18" wheels are worth it as they improve handling and cornering. Nice looking too. The adaptive headlights are nice too. They're helpful, but not as much as having the HID headlights. They're bright and cover a nice area. I can really see down the road.

The NAV system is nice if you're going to be travelling alot. Really helpful when we were in Philadellphia for a week and didnt know the area.
Old 10-21-03, 11:40 AM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

Default eyebike

did you get the 18's from lexus? I am guessing they came with your Perf Package. I am just wondering if we dont go with the perf pk just the awd prem plus, should I order 18's as an option from Lexus or get them on my on elsewhere?
Old 10-21-03, 03:49 PM
eyebike
Driver

The 18" wheels came standard with the performance pkge. In the northeast here, I believe all the RX330's were coming in with 18" wheels as a standard "option".

All the optional packages for Nevada include the 18" wheels according to the Lexus.com website by building your RX330.

Last edited by eyebike; 10-21-03 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 04:41 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my Rx330 w/performance package for about a month now, and I like it. I use Low mode by myself (most of the time), Normal mode when I have passengers and High mode in parking lots (helps with the speed bumps). The adaptive headlights are wonderful, but frankly I'm not sure how to evaluate them compared to the non-adaptive lights. The funky transmission is not really useful. The Lexus does a great job of shifting on its own, and I haven't been able to improve on it.

Overall, I would definitely place the perf package in the category of nice to have, not must have. But then, that's why I bought a Lexus in the first place -- it is very nice to have !
Old 10-22-03, 05:44 PM
o8yb
Rookie

I like sport cars and I have my Miata as my daily driver. I pick RX330 mainly becasue of the performance package. FX35 has better handling but ride is rough and cargo area is too small for my dog.

Anyway, like drurywoodson said, performance package is nice to have but not a must. Without performance package RX330 will ride better, and it will still handle well and is cheaper too. Adaptive lightning doesn't not worth the money, air suspension is nice but again RX is not a race car, my old civic DX handle better than my RX.

Sport shift I never use it because it is not responsive enough.

If you don't mind to spend extra $$ for some nice to have items. Pick performance package, its nice to have I don't regrad picking performance package. If I buy RX330 again, I would pick Permium plus and rear camera, and laser curise control If RX400H is avaliable I will buy it right away (any option).

Sam
Old 10-22-03, 07:58 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by o8yb
Sport shift I never use it because it is not responsive enough.
Has anyone with the performance package had the ECM update, and if so did it make the shifts more responsive when in manual mode?
Old 10-23-03, 06:02 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my RX with performance package for about 2 months now. If you're a gizmo guy and wouldn't mind the extra $$$ spent, then, go with the Perf. Package. Frankly, I don't know if there is any difference in handling between the regular RX and the Perf. Package. I drove a loaner and it seemed like it handled like my RX with the perf. package. I do like the fact that you can change the ride height and that there is an Easy Access option for not-so-tall people like me...hehe.

I got the ECM update done about 2 weeks ago. I think the shifting is still the same although I would say the slipping of the transmission has been minimized. I haven't seen any improvements in gas mileage as a result of the update.