RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Japanses vs. Canadian Built RX330

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 06:56 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Japanses vs. Canadian Built RX330

Today at the dealership, i saw that couple of the RX330 had the final assembly plant stickers in Ontario and some and the final assembling plan in Japan. For those who are concern about getting their RX330 that is built in Ontario, no need to worry, because they have a very good plant there with very good reputations. And Lexus have sold some of these and none of the customers complained about any problems or even noticed that they were built in Canada. If you want the one from Japan, than the best thing is to order one with the navigation and other extras. Majority of the RX330 will be built in Japan still.

Anyone want to comment on this??? Let me know.
Old 10-13-03, 07:46 AM
LexFather

The Ontario plant is an exact replica of the plant in Japan. Lexus did make adjustments to ensure quality was top notch. For instance, some tools and plant areas were re-designed with the Canadian man/woman size in mind compared to the Japanese men and women.

Loaded RX 330s will continue to be built in Japan. Lexus/Toyota management will ensure no quality problems arise from their NA built cars. I wish other carmakers would take this approach.
Old 10-13-03, 09:03 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Yeah, you are right about Lexus making an exact similar plant to the one in Japan and assuring that the RX330 are well built. Other automakers such as BMW and Mercedes should of done that with their X5 and ML suvs.
Old 10-13-03, 11:26 AM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually read a fairly long article in the auto section of the Portland, Oregon, newspaper, the "Oregonian." I thought it was a pretty informative article talking about numerous things they are doing to make sure the quality level at the Canada factory meets or exceeds the Japan factory.

I haven't been able to locate the article anywhere online... I suppose I could transcribe it, if people are interested. I thought it was pretty cool and says a lot about Lexus.
Old 10-13-03, 12:56 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Oh please do, i am anxious to know, and so is my mother since she will be buying an RX330 in few weeks. It will be great to know!

Thanks

Tej
Old 10-13-03, 02:07 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Toyota Opens Lexus Plant In North America
I think the story is one of those pseudo-story/press release jobbies written by PR firms.

I dunno, I checked one of those Canuck RXs out and there was an empty Labatt Blue bottle in the glove box. Just kidding! Geez everyone's so sensitive these days.
Old 10-13-03, 02:50 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Correction: The story is from a New York Times article.
And it was a case of Molson in the cargo area that I found.
Old 10-13-03, 07:33 PM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota Aims for Lexus Perfection as it moves assembly to Canada

All:

Here's the article I referred to in my earlier post. I looked quite a bit to see if I could find it online someplace, but no such luck.

So yeah, it does kind of read like a press release, but it's pretty impressive, nonetheless. Like I said before, it says a lot for Lexus.

Toyota aims for Lexus perfection as it moves assembly to Canada

By Lindsay Chappell
Automotive News

The first Lexus built outside Japan has rolled down the assembly line in Cambridge, Ontario.

To make sure the Canadian-made RX330 has the same cachet of craftsmanship as RX330s imported from Kyushu, Japan, an anxious Toyota Motor Corp. has spent three years turning its Corolla-Matrix factory into an error-proofing showplace--and a blueprint for Toyota plants around the world.

Workers will get to see every flaw on RX330s built in Japan and Cambridge. Production tools send an alert the moment a specification is not met.

"To be equal, we have to be better than them," said Ray Tanguay, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada. The Canadian subsidiary opened in 1988, making small batches of Corolla sedans.

"Everybody's going to look at us and say, 'Are they as good as Kyushu?'" Tanguay said. "The same thing happened when Toyota first started making cars in North America--everyone expected the quality to go down. So we're facing that again."

The focus on quality is obsessive. Every RX330 from Japan goes through a 170-point quality check at the port in Long Beach, Calif.

Tanguay--a 54-year-old French-Canadian who is one of the few non-Japanese presidents in Toyota's global subsidiaries--wears a calculator-sized Blackberry personal data assistant on his belt. Every time an error is found, Tanguay's Blackberry beeps with a report of the problem and the solution.

Attached to the report is a digital photo. Tanguay can transfer the image and a report onto billboard-sized displays hung over the Cambridge production lines, so workers can see the mistakes and avoid the same problems here.

Every problem noted
Every problem that shows up in a Lexus dealership service bay in North America will also be displayed on the boards.

That's only the beginning.

Cambridge's tools and robots have radio transmitters. Tolerances are tighter on every process.

Any time a piece of equipment exceeds the limit, it transmits a report to supervisors or team leaders, who will hurry over to correct it. Each team leader wears a headphone set that allows instant reporting from the machinery or other team leaders.

Tom Libby, director of industry analysis for Power Information Network, an affiliate of J.D. Power and Associates, said Toyota is going through so much trouble at Cambridge to protect its image as an industry leader.

"Lexus has a lot to lose in this," Libby said. "Their performance in virtually every measure in the industry is extraordinary. But they still don't have the confidence to simply launch North American production without making sure every single aspect of their reputation is accounted for. Customers might not even care how the factory operates. But Toyota is asking, 'What if they do?'"

Growing competition among luxury import-brand SUVs helps motivate Toyota. Honda has expanded its North American production of Acura MDX SUVs in the past year. DaimlerChrysler is increasing its capacity for M-Class production in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and BMW is enlarging its X5 SUV assembly plant in Spartanburg, S.C.

Nissan Motor Co. is preparing for its first North American-built Infiniti product--another SUV--at its new Canton, Miss., factory.

Toyota believes the new approach in Canada will help distinguish it in the crowded field.

Dealers began pressing Toyota to build Lexus in North America eight years ago, at the height of the U.S.-Japanese trade frictions.

"They didn't just rush out and do it," said Mike McGrath, president of McGrath Lexus in Chicago and a dealer of other brands for more than 30 years. "They took their time to do it right."