RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

330 engine sound.........loud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 09:43 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Johnnie,
their service dept. is first rate. Everyone there looks and acts professional and they definitely go above and beyond the call. If you live close enough, I can't imagine another dealership that could top this one in terms of professional service.
al503
Old 10-02-03, 09:55 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

al503,

That's good to know. I purchased my vehcle from Lexus of Portalnd, so I'll have to go back for the scheduled service.

The reason why I ask is becuase the prep work before delivery was lacking IMO. The interior guages where a little dusty with smuge marks, and my BIGGEST grip was the large grease stain at the edge of the left drivers side foot rest, underneath the parking break. Again, no big deal, me being ****, but I want my $40K vehicle to be perfect when I take delivery. When I got home, I did some detailing/cleaning and all is now perfect.

JL

Last edited by johnnieliu; 10-02-03 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-02-03, 10:01 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Johnnie,
I had to do the same thing. There was a little dust on the dash and a couple pieces of masking tape (which apparently held the shipping plastic down) they overlooked. I took the car home and immediately applied the vinylex and lexol, which is what I was planning on doing anyway. In terms of service after the sale, I have been more than pleasantly surprised. They have always been helpful and professional.

BTW, I would definitely recommend conditioning the leather. My hides were very thirsty.
al503
Old 10-02-03, 07:19 PM
vegeta
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine noise

johnnieliu
You are right at idle it is noisy as well but different. At 700 rpms it sort of "putters" and gets a little worse when the A/C compressor kicks on but that that's prolly cuz the rpms change a bit. The 1700 to 2100 rpm is louder and more buzzy but I still think they come from the same problem - the exhast system vibration.
Still checking it out. Maybe I'm being **** but I did pay big bucks for "the best" SUV. I shouldn't heart any buzzing or puttering. And that's the bottom line cuz Stone Cold say's so!!!!

Giggle, Veg
Old 10-02-03, 11:02 PM
johnnieliu
Driver

I think if you spent this kind of money, your entitled to be ****. Keep us informed on what you find.

JL
Old 10-07-03, 09:10 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Default leather conditioner.....

al503 said:
BTW, I would definitely recommend conditioning the leather. My hides were very thirsty.
al503,

What did you use to condition your RX330's leather? Did it leave a shine/glossy finish?

JL
Old 10-07-03, 09:14 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

hey JL,
I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I think it's the best stuff. Before using the conditioner, the hides looked dry. After, they look much better. They aren't glossy or anything but they look "healthier" for lack of a better term, and slightly richer/darker (I have the black interior). I would definitely recommend it. You'll notice a difference right away.
al503
Old 10-07-03, 09:27 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Thanks for the Lexol tip. I was either going to condition the leather with either Lexol or Zaino. I don't like the "glossy" leather look; very slight sheen is OK. I haven't read what look the Zaino will give, so I might give the Lexol a try. Did you buy the Lexol locally or internet/mail order?
Old 10-07-03, 09:30 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

I got mine from GI Joes where it was only ~$6.00. Pretty much any parts store is going to have them available.

Also, try Vinylex (same manufacturer as lexol) on the dash and doors. Big improvement there also.
Old 10-07-03, 09:19 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

Al503 and Johnnieliu..

Thanks for the info...I just had my 30 day at Lexus of Portland today... Pretty uneventful and I have been happy with the service. I really have not noticed the noise you have been talking about, but my wife is the primary driver of ours.

Lexol is great stuff, I'll try the vinyl conditioner. By the way, the prep work on mine prior to purchase was actually great and with the ivory interior, any smudge stands out. They also washed and cleaned inside with the 30-day, again they did a good job. Small dark smudge on door leather that quickly wiped off.

I would like to keep in touch every once in a while as it sounds like all we all got vehicles pretty close to the same time and all going to Lexus of Portland.
Old 10-08-03, 06:48 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Default RXSwoosh

I will be taking the RX back to LoP in a few weeks for the 1000 mile service. How long did it take? Did LoP do the ECM update?

JL

Last edited by johnnieliu; 10-08-03 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 08:25 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

nice to meet you RXSwoosh. The vinylex does the same for the vinyl as the lexol does for the hides.

JL: They actually kept my car for a couple of days. I brought it in after work and got it back a couple days later. They worked on a rattle, checked the alignment, and did the Tranny TSIB update (which made a heck of a difference.)

When I took the car in, I explained the "clunkiness" with the tranny and the service rep (forget her name but she was skinny, blond, and reasonably attractive) tried to tell me that it was the adaptive tranny. I didn't mention the fact that I knew there was a TSB for the tranny but when I picked it up, Tom said that they performed the update. It's much better.

Alignment: Tom explained that they had checked the tire pressures and put the RX on a rack that checked the alignment. They were both correct. I said that it was probably a radial pull and he said that if it kept on pulling, they would check it again at 5K and replace the tires if necessary.

Rear Power Hatch: had a problem with it once where it would not work even though I toggled every switch (glovebox, console, key fob, etc. Yes I had all four door unlocked by the fob and the door lock switch in the car) It still refused to open. I then manually opened it and it worked fine after that. They couldn't replicate and told me to keep an eye on it.

Sorry for the long post. Again, nice to meet you RXSwoosh.
Old 10-08-03, 09:25 AM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

They didn't mention doing the ECM update and I wasn't aware of it until I looked at the forum yesterday evening. The sifting has been very smooth so I haven't been concerned. Actually everything has been great with the car... I am used to my Ford Supercrew... so the Lexus is a dream vehicle in comparison.

I'll check the ECM at the first oil change unless I start seeing some type of issue.

The 1000 mile service took about 1hour 15 minutes including the exterior and interior cleaning. With the black exterior and then ivory interior, an extra cleaning is always appreciated!

The worst part was sitting in the "lounge" and having to look at the new SC 430 and conciously yearning to be behind the wheel and popping the top down on a sunny afternoon sitting next to gorgeous blond!... I digress!
Old 10-08-03, 04:10 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the thread topic

I don't like the louder sound which I noticed very slightly, a subtle difference from the 300 imo.

The clicking sound is probably the fuel injectors that I hear on mine, and I do not hear on 4 other manufacturers' vehicles I routinely ride in as far as I can tell.

I really suggest to LEXUS that they add some more sound proofing between the engine and cabin in the 300, oh well;

and future models.