RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX 330 vs. 2003 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-03, 10:38 AM
CLK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX 330 vs. 2003 Acura MDX

Before you guys bought the 330, hav any of you considered the Acura MDX w/ Touring Package, Navigation and Rear Seat Entertainment? Well I am, and before I make a dumb decission I'd like to know your opinions. Which is a better vehicle? WHich has more luxury features?

- 2004 Lexus RX 330
w/Premium Plus Package,
Nav and Rear Entertainment

----------OR------------
-2003 Acura MDX w/Touring Package
Nav and Rear Entertainment
Old 08-16-03, 12:33 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think the MDX comes close to the 330, as far as luxury goes.

330: Power rear door, air suspension, power tilt/telescoping wheel, HIDs, HIDs w/ AFS, Mark Levinson, electroluminescent gauges, laser cruise.

MDX: 3rd row seat (more functional than luxury)

P.S.: A lot of the 330's features ARE optional, but IS available!

Last edited by msilverIS; 08-16-03 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-16-03, 03:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make a list of what you want to do with this car. Give the items a weight and add them up. Then look, feel, drive the vehicle and see which one "speaks" to you. Give that a weight assessment. Everyone's needs and requirements are different.

I think the 330 is a better luxury vehicle. The MDX is a bit more functional. My wife drives an MDX and has had no problems with it. We use the 3rd row seats periodically and it has come in handy. We use the Nav enough that we won't get another car without it if we can help it. Although we got the MDX before the RX330 (or GX) came out, we don't regret not waiting. We've gotten quite a bit of use out of the MDX. The newer MDX even got a little more HP.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-17-03, 06:42 AM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

We own both 04 330 and 01 MDX. They are both great cars. If you want luxury, go Lexus. If you want bigger, more practical, go MDX. The Acura will be cheaper with all the gadgets, and I like the Acura Nav system better. Acura requires premium, while you can get by on regular with 330. If you get the Mark Levinson, the sound system beats MDX by a million miles. Seems like the 330 gets better mileage. The 330 transmission seems a little squirlly, but I am going in next week for a software upgrade that may fix that. I did drive the newer Acura before we bought the Lexus. The extra hp helps, but the interior is still much cheaper looking than the Lexus. Too bad that Lexus didn't put in the third row. Many people need that functionality, but don't want the truck-like drive of the GX-470.
Old 08-17-03, 04:52 PM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the Mdx for a week before buying the 330. The RX beats the MDX hands down.
Best Regards.........Bob
Old 08-17-03, 05:28 PM
o8yb
Rookie

RX330 for safety. MDX doesn't have curtain airbag and knee airbag. RX330 also has better emergency handling and quieter ride.
Old 08-17-03, 11:11 PM
Rock
Driver School Candidate

Friend of mine are trading in her MDX for new RX330...... after she sat into my new RX, she fell in love with it. She likes the sporty exteria looks and the luxury feels. Unfortunately she needs to wait at least 6-8 weeks before the new vehicle arrive.
Old 08-18-03, 09:56 AM
dreday68
Rookie

Who cares about the third seat. The RX330 isa not ment for it it's for a younger crowd touring downtown NYC. I don't think I even need to explain myself why Lexus wins on this one.
Old 08-18-03, 12:25 PM
LexFather

MDX is wider and has a useless 3rd row. Otherwise, the RX 300 owned it and the RX 330 totally owns it. It is not a bad SUV at all, it is quite good. But to be badged an "Acura" a luxury car, it misses a lot.
Old 08-18-03, 12:40 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
MDX is wider and has a useless 3rd row.
It is useless only for people who don't use it.
Old 08-19-03, 09:07 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

I'd pick the RX for luxury and features. I'd pick the MDX for more utility and if 3rd row seating is a must.
Old 08-19-03, 10:09 AM
CLK
Driver School Candidate

You guys convinced me that the RX is far better than the Acura. But what about the Infinti FX 35 w/Technology Package? This is another vehicle that I'm considering and would like your advice and comments regarding it.

-Thanks Kevin
Old 08-19-03, 01:04 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Kevin,

We own both the FX45 (my car) and RX330 (wife's). Totally different vehicles, and one quick, spirited drive in each should make their differences readily apparent. If the "fun to drive" quotient (i.e. performance capability) is your No. 1 criteria above all else, you will find yourself drawn to the FX. It's definitely sportier and quicker than the RX, and the rear drive bias really adds a fun factor to its handling. Very little body lean, and considering its "SUV" shape, taking turns at speed is amazingly easy.

However if other factors are more important, the RX will probably be the better choice. These include but are not necessarily limited to interior build quality (luxury feel), ride quality, rear passenger leg room and luggage space. I think the RX is the better family vehicle especially for longer trips - it's quieter and smoother, and certainly passengers would be more comfortable. And while styling is always subjective, I think it can be safely said that most people would find the more conventional shape and lines of the RX to be more pleasing to the eye. I do find, however, that younger people especially like the more aggressive styling (stance) of the FX, and it does turn a lot of heads because of its unique (polarizing?)shape. I personally like the styling on both vehicles, and consider the constrast of two cars' abilities to be a plus.
Old 08-19-03, 01:24 PM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the FX before I bought my RX, and there was one big problem with the FX. My 14 year old son, with relatively large feet, had a lot of trouble getting in and out of the back seat. His feet would get stuck under the front seat; then he would have trouble getting them out of the foot well. Have you experienced this--or is it just because I needed the front seat back pretty far?
Old 08-19-03, 10:04 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by lawprofs
I looked at the FX before I bought my RX, and there was one big problem with the FX. My 14 year old son, with relatively large feet, had a lot of trouble getting in and out of the back seat. His feet would get stuck under the front seat; then he would have trouble getting them out of the foot well. Have you experienced this--or is it just because I needed the front seat back pretty far?
Agree that back seat ingress and egress is not very good, due to the way the rear wheel well area shortens the door opening. Larger and/or older people would probably find it somewhat difficult to made a gracefull exit... We have just one 12 year old, and she does not have any problems with it.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX 330 vs. 2003 Acura MDX