RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Very Important---Disgusting Smell From Exhaust of RX330

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-03, 10:18 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Very Important---Disgusting Smell From Exhaust of RX330

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I want to say that I love the RX330 and my family is planning on getting that to replace our RX300. My aunt currently has the RX330 and it was recalled for the exhaust being a little noisy which resulted in a more quiet sound from the engine when accelarating when my aunt got it back last week. However, two days ago, when I was driving my Infiniti QX4 and my father was driving his Acura along with my aunt driving her RX330, me and my dad would smell this terrible smell when driving behind her. This surprised us since we never smelled something like this when driving in one of our other car behind my QX4 or even our old RX300. To see that the smell was comming from the new RX330, we would move away in to another lane on the highway at the ave. speed of about 75-80 and notice that the air coming in would be clean from our A/c in the QX4 and the acura until we would be behind my aunt's RX330. Now--- SINCE THIS RX330 is a ULTRA LOW EMISSION VEHICLE, and neither does my old straining 170 horsepower Infiniti makes that awful smell on the highway, DO YOU guys think that this smell may be from the mistake in the installation and changing of the catalyst converter and whatever it was under the recall that would of led to that funny smell that comes through other people a/c system??????? Please respond since I really need to know . Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-10-03, 08:13 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Any opinions on what to do? Or do you think the mechanics may of not done the job properly and I should tell my aunt to call the lexus dealership tommorrow?? But it will be good to get some insights on this in order to convince my aunt.

Dave
Old 08-11-03, 06:36 PM
RXMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a mechanic but I don't think this is a problem. The smell you encountered was probably a "rotten egg" smell. I have always heard that it has to do with the catylitic converter heating up to the proper temp to work like it is supposed to work. Might also have to do with the amount of sulfur in the fuel you are using.
Old 08-11-03, 08:24 PM
firebird
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check the fuel

The smell is caused by additives in unleaded fuel. In Australia the petrol companies were made to change the additives as people complained of a rotten egg smell. There is nothing that Lexus can do to resolve this problem. My suggestion is that your aunt change the brand of fuel she is buying.

Cheers firebird
Old 08-12-03, 09:49 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Default Mobile Gas??

If she is always using Mobile Gas, is that not a good preference, or should we change to something else? Besides, that rotten egg smell only occurs if shes on the highway and accelerating from lets say 75 to 85 with. Let me know, and thanks for your replies guys.

Dave
Old 08-12-03, 10:14 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pemex gas I used here, including the Premium, is loaded with sulfur. That is why it smells like rotten eggs in Mexico City. People have been complaining for years, but the Maya oil is loaded with the stuff. I used Chevron exclusively in the state, and also use Techron here as an additive.