RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

boo - bad customer service at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 08:24 PM
StyleZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor service..

well i got into an accident with my rx330 exactly 3 weeks ago. Brought it to my dealer which is Lexus of Manhattan. I needed a new front bumper and left HID light. So they said it would probably take about 5-7 days. I call in a week later and ask hows it going, they tell me i need to wait another week. So now its been 3 weeks figuring it would def be done by now. But gee i call in and they tell me my parts are still in back order and i need to wait till the 22nd of July. So im pretty pissed by now and ask just give me my car back till you get the parts. Then he says we can't give it back since we already took off the bumper...and by now to tell you the truth i think all this is pretty ridiculous. Its even more fustrating since i have a System waiting and just recieved my dub 20's spinners.

Last edited by StyleZ; 07-07-03 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-07-03, 09:36 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

Do you have a loaner at least?
Old 07-08-03, 10:09 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

Default Re: poor service..

Originally posted by StyleZ
well i got into an accident with my rx330 exactly 3 weeks ago. Brought it to my dealer which is Lexus of Manhattan. I needed a new front bumper and left HID light. So they said it would probably take about 5-7 days. I call in a week later and ask hows it going, they tell me i need to wait another week. So now its been 3 weeks figuring it would def be done by now. But gee i call in and they tell me my parts are still in back order and i need to wait till the 22nd of July. So im pretty pissed by now and ask just give me my car back till you get the parts. Then he says we can't give it back since we already took off the bumper...and by now to tell you the truth i think all this is pretty ridiculous. Its even more fustrating since i have a System waiting and just recieved my dub 20's spinners.
DANG!
Old 07-08-03, 10:31 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard bad comments about Lexus of Manhattan from others, but have no first-hand knowledge myself other than one visit to the dealer to check out the cars. I have heard Ray Catena has better service.

My de-facto U.S. dealer, Lexus of San Antonio, will ask me if I have any issues with the car before I drive it up to San Antonio. I have to do this a week before I arrive, but they are ready for me and have all the parts in place for my 99 RX or it they find something upon inspection, they will have the part the following day. I know they have received several awards for their service and many routinely drive from other parts of Texas (and Mexico) for service. I would have shopped around for service, as it takes nothing more than a phone call once you have the initial diagnosis.

How bad was the front bumper damaged, scraped/banged/ripped beyond belief?
Old 07-08-03, 01:07 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Bumper repair

Sorry to hear about your accident and the delay in getting your ride back, but I have to find some fault in the dealer bashing that goes on here.

1) my guess is you have a loaner so you are not inconvenienced other than your system and wheels not being installed.

2) the dealer/their body shop did the right thing by taking the bumper off to assess any potenital hidden damage beneath the visible repair. Would you rather hear okay we'll order the parts we know we need now and then they find out afterwards that there are more parts on backorder (yeah I'd agree at least you'd still have your car until you dropped it off, but you'd be in the same situation again after. You can't have it both ways here) and yes they probably could put your stuff back on and make the car "driveable" until your parts arrive, but that wouldn't exactly be the "Lexus" thing to do either and it would cost money to do that (not suggesting that you aren't willing to pay, but let's be realistic).

3) it is not the fault of the dealership or poor service on their part if a part is backordered...let's face it here guys this is a BRAND new product line, I can't imagine that Lexus has built up a huge amount of repair/crash parts inventory when they can barely keep up with new car orders on the RX330.

Now before anybody starts flaming me and getting all in my grille about defending dealers, I will say that I have had my issues with L of M's service, but they have made it right every time. The problems I have heard on this site and elsewhere (which at CL we do not condone third party accounts of issues - Lexmexico this means comments like yours) most of those problems the customers stormed off the lot after pointing out the issue and not speaking to a manager never to be heard from again, how is that giving the dealership - any dealership the opportunity to provide good service. All of you guys out in Cali and Texas that have these dealerships with incredible amounts of acerage and space it is alot easier to move cars around and get stuff done without an occaisonal bump/tap to a customers car, have any of you ever seen the facitlity in Manhattan??? It is tight, space costs money down there and there isn' t any space to be had, so yeah occassionaly stuff happens, but it is not for a lack of service.

I can tell you first hand that Lexus Corp was pleasantly surprised at Manhattan's CSI scores for service, based on volume and more importantly the demographics of their "high maintenance" customer base.

Also keep in mind for every 10 bad experiences 8-9 people will go out of their way to make it known they had a bad experience. For every 10 good experiences only 1-2 people will go out of their way to make those known.

All right off my soapbox now.

BTW, did you mention you are a CL member to L of M for your discount?

Last edited by Johnny Mo; 07-08-03 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 02:57 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

I can never take these things seriously anymore. As I was debating with someone in the lobby, the younger crowd always seems to have an issue with the dealers. I hate to say I discredit people near my age range, but after hearing all the complaints first hand, time and time again, I don't even pay attention anymore.

I will stab at it and say with the spinner's note, your under 30? Maybe under 25? Just to add the notes to my research on dealer satisfaction by age group.
Old 07-09-03, 05:40 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to bash or anything...but

LEXUS OF MANHATTAN SUCKS !!!

and Johnny Mo....your excuse about parts not being available BECAUSE they can barely keep up with new car orders on the RX3. That tells me Lexus is more interested in new sales then customer service. Unacceptable in my opinion.

Lexus of Manhattan... Avoid like the plague.
Old 07-10-03, 07:55 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Originally posted by GS4fun
Not to bash or anything...but

LEXUS OF MANHATTAN SUCKS !!!

and Johnny Mo....your excuse about parts not being available BECAUSE they can barely keep up with new car orders on the RX3. That tells me Lexus is more interested in new sales then customer service. Unacceptable in my opinion.

Lexus of Manhattan... Avoid like the plague.
Manny,

you if I recall were one of the guys who "stormed" out of the dealership when your car got scratched. And how are parts not being available the dealership's fault?

You are way out of line here.
Old 07-10-03, 09:56 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I have to partly disagree, I listen to rumor and stories before I go with a dealer for service. What do you expect me to do, try them out, waste my money, and leave with delight? No way and no one else should be made to suffer the same fate. CL members need to listen to everything before deciding on a dealer for service. However, once you have picked that dealer, I AGREE WITH JOHNNY MO, do not come crying!

When I used to live in the States, there were 4 dealers within reasonable driving range. Some dealers I heard better stories about service, some about great deals. I eventually chose one dealer because I heard better stories (or less horror stories) than others. It turned out to be be a great call. I get that same satisfaction when I drive up to San Antonio as they have one of the best Lexus dealers in the world for service. I have no other choice as there is no Lexus in Mexico, but Toyota Mexico does an extremely good job for what they have.

HOWEVER, once you have picked your service dealer, I agree with Johnny Mo. I am sure that if I had the same exact problem as discussed, the dealer in San Antonio would probably also tell me 5-7 days for parts or whatever the computer tells them. However, all companies' logistics systems face problems and are based on computer software designed with inherent human error. That means 5-7 days can turn into weeks. THIS IS COMPLETELY out of the dealer's hands, but rather with the Lexus logistics system.

My best advice, get the statement of 5 to 7 days in writing.

In addition, nobody ever said you had to use a dealer as there are plenty of knowledge independents.
Old 07-11-03, 12:51 AM
StyleZ
Rookie

They never offered me a loaner. They just told me to call my insurance company and see if i can get a rental. But if i did want a rental from my insurance company i would have to start paying 30$ extra every month for my insurance, which i dont plant to do. So for now im basically foot trooping to places , here and there taking out my parents car.
Old 07-11-03, 05:51 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Manny,

you if I recall were one of the guys who "stormed" out of the dealership when your car got scratched. And how are parts not being available the dealership's fault?

You are way out of line here.
Actually no, its not me with the "storming" out of the dealership. I just had 2 out of 2 extremely poor customer service episodes dealing with them.

My position still stands...they must be one of the worst in the Tri State area..if not the US.
Old 07-11-03, 07:50 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Poor customer service

Manny,

did you know that we (ClubLexus members) have a special escalation process for situations where we are not satisfied with the service we have gotten? That was one of the things we worked out with L of M, so if you should find yourself in that situation again (although I am sure everyone understands if you are 0 for 2). The GM who is our escalation contact is Ken Wartel, make sure you identify yourself as a CL member.

edit: My apologies on the storming out, I though that was you. Sorry.

Last edited by Johnny Mo; 07-11-03 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-11-03, 03:03 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

StyleZ, I'm sorry that you were not satisfied with your service, but we do have a process to follow with L or M that can help both you and the dealer if you follow it. Please refrain from trashing the dealers. Take a breath, try to be kind and you'll find that usually others are far more responsive to your needs.