RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I want your opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 04:31 AM
sk898
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want your opinion...

Hi everybody… this is my first post in this forum and I really, really want to hear your opinion on the RX330 look.

My dad has recently become quite a golf addict. In the past few months, he has bought himself all sorts of golf gears: irons, drivers, putter, shoes, bags ***** and so on. To complete his golf kit, now he wants to get a SUV for obvious reasons. (Isn’t it every retiree’s dream?????)

Getting a new SUV isn’t as easy as buying a new driver because he loves the car he has now and mum would complain for eternity if he gets a second car. So my dad has come to me and offered me a deal that I cannot say no: Sell my CRV and get a new, top of the line SUV. He will pay for half the cost but I will get to use it most of the time. How could I say no…

My dad doesn’t really care what we get as long as it has all the creature comforts of a luxury vehicle. Anyway, I have always been the one in the family, who makes this kind of decision, so it is really up to me to decide which SUV to get.

After much research and test drives, I have short listed my choices to the following:

ML 350
- Pro: looks good, it’s “Merc”
- Con: interior is so old looking and ugly, the shape is getting old, average finish and quality, many luxury features (sunroof, HID, GPS, wood, leather, memory electric seats) are optional

X5 3.0i
- Pro: handles well, powerful, looks sporty, nice interior
- Con: ugly rear end, like the Merc, too many luxury features are optional, most expensive

VW Touareg
- Pro: exterior looks great, basically a Porsche Cayenne, more luxury features than X5 and ML for the same price, third cheapest (price wise) of the four
- Con: interior design is a bit old fashion

Lexus RX330
- Pro: interior can be described in just one word “fantastic”, nice smart looking interior, feels super luxurious inside (especially with the ivory interior) soft comfortable leather, excellent design, basic luxury features are all standard, electric rear hatch, video reversing, wood steering wheel and so much more, cheapest of the four
- Con: exterior looks too funky, too quirky. The rear is too round, the front is too long, too round and too low… doesn’t have the tough, in your face SUV look (like the X5 or ML)

I find it very tough to choose. All four vehicles have their weaknesses and strengthens and, to me, none of them really stand out to be a winner.

If the RX330 looks a bit better, it would definitely be my choice. If the VW has the RX330 interior, I would buy one tomorrow. If X5 has more standard luxury features and a lower price tag, I would get one straight away. If the ML has more features and better quality, I would have got one yesterday. Now you see my dilemma.

The RX330 has most (actually all) of what I expect from a luxury vehicle (HID, leather, memory seat, sunroof, GPS, 17” wheels, high tech stuffs). The others have too many options, which I find a little ridiculous. Features wise, the RX is a definite winner, but the look of the RX330 is my biggest issue…

I really want to hear what other people have to say about the look of the RX330? Do you like it? What is your first impression? Have you got used to it and think it actually looks good? If you own a RX, why did u get it and not the others?

Shane

Last edited by sk898; 06-30-03 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-30-03, 06:41 AM
lamk
Driver School Candidate

Suggestion from a previous ML owner: Don't buy the ML If reliability is high on your list of factors for consideration. Mercedes have worked out a lot of the kinks but it is still not very reliable. Check consumer Reports rating and the various ML forums.
Old 06-30-03, 06:42 AM
jaxxx
Pole Position

after owning a VW beetle, I dont think I would buy another VW anymore, that car had to many problems, I know i'm generalizing
Old 06-30-03, 06:47 AM
mit
Driver School Candidate

Talking Reliability

Go to your local library and check Consumer Reports magazine on the reliability of your choices. You will find that historically, the Lexus has been far superior that its German counterparts. Don't want to leave Dad stranded.
Old 06-30-03, 06:52 AM
laterldf
Driver School Candidate

Default No M/B ML

I drove a 2k M/B ML 430 for 90k miles. It drove me crazy with its myriad problems and high cost of maintanence (e.g. brake jobs every 20k, rotor replacement every other time) so I will never own another M/B product nor recommend one. Our RX 330 has been almost flaw-free, as has our ES 300. later, ldf
Old 06-30-03, 07:48 AM
Goncookoo

I can relate to your position in the family.

But honeslty, I think youre asking for too much. This meaning, "I" want an SUV that is sporty yet luxurious, rugged looking yet refined, fast/powerful yet economical (feul), etc...

All the suvs youve mentioned aspire, and in many ways live up, to some or most of those qualities from the above list (not limited to just those above). But to have everything in one package is any SUV makers dream. I mean how many of us on this board and others have asked for all the bells and whistles, have the vehicle handle like an NSX (dont shoot me, I just like NSX's even if they are older, over priced, and really need a new engine), and be priced around $30k?? I sure would.

An analogy for you: In the software industry you always want a piece of software to go out 100% bug free. But thats nearly impossible (since you need to meet deadlines, yearly upgrades, and things alike). So, somewhere along the development youll need to draw this imaginary line and ship out your product as is, and with as few bugs as possible. Everything below this imaginary line is your known and unknown bugs youre willing to let pass. And everything above it is the great product youre willing to put your name behind.

So, I think the best thing to do is to pick the most important FEATUREs youre looking for and then mark an imaginary line in that list. Do you want a luxurious car with lots of features for a great price, or do you want a sporty, rugged car with a hefty price tag? Its a give and take.

HTH

Other opinions:

The rear end of the RX330 does look a bit funky, but its do-able (at least its not as bad as the old AZTEKs hahaha) ... I would love to trade up for it but I really like having paid off my current RX

Recently, I saw a VW Toureg parked next to my RX at Wendy's... eh... didnt look all that great I wasnt WOW'ed by it at all. Peered into it when leaving and again wasnt wow'ed either. Dont even think I want to test drive it.

X5 3.0 (Im biased because my parents own one) is a great vehicle. Havent had many reliability issues yet, but the SAV is only 2 years old. Maybe we got a good BMW??? HAHAHAHAHA But its really fun to drive and can only imagine what its like with sports suspension and in a 4.4 or 4.6!!!! mmm droool

My parents friends all own the ML to flash the MB label. In my opinion thats all its good for. Maybe Id change my mind if someone offered me the ML55?
Old 06-30-03, 09:36 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

In terms of looks, I would pick in this order the Lexus RX, BMW X5, VW Touareg, and lastly the Mercedes MLs. The only aspect of the RX330 that I have a hard time adjusting to is the rear light placement. It's just too high IMO. Other then that I think it's very good looking.

Between the 4, you can expect Lexus to have the best reliability. Also if you are considering the X5, know that the X5 will receive a minor refresh for the 2004 model. So you may want to wait on that.
Old 06-30-03, 10:38 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

The X5's reliability isn't that great either. I believe it has been recalled about 9 times already ranging from engine fires to the more recent brake failures. Consumer Report is a good guide to look at. Of course no vehicle is perfect and even the new RX330 has problems but on the whole the Lexus seems to offer much better quality and longer term reliability than other makes. If gas mileage is a concern, you may want to wait till the RX330 Hybrid comes out next year which combines the economy of a compact car and the power of a V8. Also, if you are after off-roading capability as well, then RX330 is definitely out. Another SUV you may want to consider is Acura MDX which offers a powerful engine, sportiness, lots of room and proven reliability. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 06-30-03, 12:44 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

you say....

as long as it has all the creature comforts of a luxury vehicle

I say....

RX330
Old 06-30-03, 08:29 PM
eyebike
Driver

In the end, after you live a car that keeps needing service, reliabilty wont seem like an afterthought.
Rx overall was maybe not the best in everything, but on balance had it all.
Old 07-01-03, 02:37 AM
firebird
Driver School Candidate

Default X5 vs MDX vs ML vs RX330 and the winner is!

Australian Wheels Magazine July issue has a roadtest comparison on exactly the SUV's you are looking at. Last was the ML350, joint second was the MDX and the X5 and the RX330 was the winner.

The summary on each vehcile...
In the reporters words it is a truck. The only plus is that if you going to really use this car off road then it is the only one with a low range gear box. The ML refinement and dynamics are seriously compromised by its unnecessarily hardcore design and engineering. You can bet the the next ML won't have a separate chassis an low range.

The MDX and X5 share second place, albeit for very different reasons. Even with its few foibles (head jerking hair trigger throttle resonse that unleashes too much power too soon in start-stop conditions, ready to downshift whenever you budge the throttle, while not harsh the X5's often fidgety suspension is less supple than the Honda and the Lexus accross ripples and on rough roads. The price you pay for such impressive handling is a some what less enchanting ride quality. Lastly in Australia BMW come with a 2 year warranty where the Lexus comes with 4 years.

For crossover converts who want the soft roader experience at the right price with a swag of features and the most usable seven seat solution to date the MDX is without peer.

That leaves the Lexus. Even knowing the chart topping success in the USA (we did not get the RX300 down under), we under estimated the RX330. Its a model that turns secptics into believers. We could debate the flashy Americar styling but there is no argument about the RX's many good feel-good attractions. For what the RX330 is mean't to be and do no model here does it better. The big question is why spend 70-80K on a car when you can cross over and enjoy it all.

The Touareg is not due for release down-under till October so not able to comment other than I was going to place an order for the VW until they released the options list and the PRICE. A base V6 in aussie is the same price 70K as the RX. We only get one option on the RX, the Sports Luxury Pack which includes ML stereo, Nav, Reverse Camera. The only options that are not included and also I should point out not avaliable are Air Suspension, Turning H/Lights, 18" Wheels and multi panel moon roof. All else is standard.
I was looking at the V10 TDI with air suspension but they want 140K for that. The reason I was looking at the V10 was the weight of the car, at 2400Kgs it is heavy and even though reports on the V6 model sound good I have my doubts about the long term cost of ownership. The other issue I was concerned about was the depreciation as VW is not seen as a prestige brand like Lexus.

But at the end of the day it comes down to what you will using the car for. If you are a serious four wheel driver and looking for off road capabilities then the VW or Range Rover is the way to go.

If you are looking for a softroader then my choice is the RX or from what I have read another option is the FX35.

I hope this helps.

Firebird
Old 07-01-03, 04:21 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Goncookoo
I I mean how many of us on this board and others have asked for all the bells and whistles, have the vehicle handle like an NSX (dont shoot me, I just like NSX's even if they are older, over priced, and really need a new engine), and be priced around $30k?? I sure would.

Hehehe, you are right. There is no way any SUV, even the Porsche Cayanne (SP?) will handle like an NSX. I leave my sport driving for my NSX

Back to the topic though, although I never had teh BMW X5, I didn't have a very good experience with my E36 BMW and if you care about reliability after 3-5 years skip the Bimmer. The only two I would consider is the RX300 and the Acura MDX. If the MDX is not in your list of options, than get the RX330. Actaully, I would have bought the MDX instead of the RX330 I have now if the Lexus wasn't redeigned to the new style. This is only my opinion, but my wife and I never really like the style of the old RX300. Lexus is generally known for its reliability, but they too are not perfect. Better than most though. Even my moms ES300 did have some problems.
Old 07-01-03, 04:29 AM
sk898
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all your responses. Much appreciated. It is great to know what other think about the cars that I am interested in.

I must admit that I am a very pedantic car buyer. I want every feature imaginable and I don’t want to pay a fortune.

The RX has many, many things that I like. Like the illuminated door sills, leather seats with memory, HID, rain sensor, GPS, reverse monitor, well design, useful rear compartment, automatic dimming rear view mirror, ML Stereo, self levelling headlights, trip computer and really cool meters… and the best part: all these features are standard.

My next question is: Is Lexus going to bring out a hybrid engine RX? If Lexus is definitely selling the hybrid, then the RX is as good as sold! Which other manufacturer would include so much features in one car? (MB and BMW for sure won’t)

Does anyone know when the hybrid engine RX will be available?

Shane
Old 07-01-03, 07:54 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Originally posted by sk898
Does anyone know when the hybrid engine RX will be available?

Possibly a 2005 model.
Old 07-01-03, 09:56 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

A hybrid is coming for the RX, but you may have to wait a year or two.