RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bigger tires anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 03:35 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger tires anyone?

Has anyone thought of changing the tires on their RX330 to something meatier? I don't mind the wheels being 17-in; I think that's large enough. Also, to keep the circumference the same in a 20-in wheel, you'd have to have very low profile tires, which are at the same time, much more expensive and the ride will be noticeably harsher.

But the 225 x 65 profile tires look just "ok". I think in another thread, I described them as looking very "standard" looking or "family-car-like".

Some of the SUVs like the Mercedes ML and the BMW X5s have fatter tires. Could Lexus not have used something like a 245 x 50 -17, that would have kept the circumference the same and the ride good? Has anyone done the same to either their RX or to a previous vehicle? What were the consequences?

In my experience, in several of the cars I have driven, I have upped the wheel size and used wider and lower-profile tires. I found the all cars to then "wander" more over road irregularities. This was quite annoying when driven slowly, like slowing down at a red light, they tended to "climb up" the slight "troughs" in the road cause by the weight of all cars [there is a specific term for these troughs, but I can't remember what it is].

In one or two of the cases, I would rate the tendency to wander to be almost dangerous. If you were used to driving a car that didn't do this and you weren't paying attention, it would have been conceivable that you could veer into another car when slowing down at a stop light where there were severe "troughs". I had to mention this to everyone who borrowed those cars.
Old 05-26-03, 04:39 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexter, search this forum for lots on RX 300 wider options...

There are lots of threads here and in the sub forum on tire and wheel sizes for the RX 300 - great info. I haven't read anything much on the 330 yet, guess it might be awhile before upgrades start for that one.

The wandering effect you mention has not been brought up here much if at all. I don't recall reading about it on this forum. However, it is a real issue for some vehicles. I have noticed it to some degree on most of the vehicles I increased the tire width on. On some it is hardlly noticable, others, it is real obvious. This is a well know automotive issue with going to wider rubber. My XJ-6 has plus 2 sizes wider than stock - looks great - but wandering is the first thing you notice from behind the wheel, typically below 30 MPH.