RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Seeking Opinions On RX330 Interior Design

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-03, 01:42 PM
Sheridan26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seeking Opinions On RX330 Interior Design

I just bought a Breakwater Blue RX330 AWD a few days ago. I am personally not real pleased with the design of the left and right climate control system panels which run down to below the radio buttons. I dont like the choice of finish. It seems to me that there isn't really enough of that aluminum color in the rest of the interior to support it. Like it just doesnt blend into the rest of the interior properly. I would have preferred the use of wood on those panels with perhaps just the buttons and ***** in the aluminum color.

Does anyone else have any particular comments on this matter? I am wondering if I am the only one who thinks the design wasnt done so nicely. I did do a google search for "dash kits" and several companies on the net are already selling them in manufacturer's matching wood. Does anyone have any experience with installing these dash kits...applying the wood overlay onto prexisting materials such as plastic, wood, or the aluminum?

I also am not happy with the angle of those panels. I think they flare out to the left and right too radically. All the buttons seem to be way larger than necessary. Like they were trying real hard to fill up the space.

Finally, I prefer the steering wheel that is all leather vs. the one that seems to be plastic and wood. The all leather one seems to be thicker and easier to grasp.

Well, like I said initially...I did buy the RX330 and am relatively pleased with it. I looked at all the new crossover SUV's out there and decided that on balance...I liked the RX330 best...tho I do see some serious interior design flaws.

I would appreciate comments on these matters...the climate control panels (color and angle), the use of dash kits to overlay these panels, and the plastic and wood steering wheel (materials and feel vs. the leather one).

Thanks.
Old 05-24-03, 07:48 PM
Dyno330
Driver School Candidate

Some bad interior desing ???

The steering wheel block the view of the speedometer ; Am I the only one to have notice that ????
Old 05-24-03, 07:52 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What color interior do you have? For me, I have the light grey and it seems to blend in okay. You are right that I too don't particualry like how they did that area especially because it makes adding aftermarket stereo systems harder, but I don't mind it too much. I wish you could have gotten more stereo system option since that traffic and RDS buttons are just taling up space because my state doesn't use either. I like of like the leather and wood steeering wheel though. Another pet peeve I have is that you can'tview the clock without the key on.
Old 05-24-03, 07:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dyno330
Some bad interior desing ???

The steering wheel block the view of the speedometer ; Am I the only one to have notice that ????
I'm okay with viewing the instrument cluster. I got the adjustment right for me. I'm kind of short at 5'4" so maybe my line of sight is more direct. Truthfully, the viewing angle is better than the BMW I had which I could never adjust well enough to see all the gauges in the cluster. I guess being a short half Japanese person I fit the Japanese car better
Old 05-24-03, 09:29 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

I have the black in interior and I think the aluminum accents are sharp - I also have the Perf package so no wood on the wheel - and my height s fine for the steering wheel to allow for perfect viewing of the gauges...

to view my interior click here
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/digabitde.../RX330&.view=t
Old 05-25-03, 01:50 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

I prefer the all leather steering wheel over the wood/leather combo. I also prefer the wood trim over the aluminum looks. It would be nice if Lexus gave you the option of the metal or the wood trim.
Old 05-25-03, 08:38 AM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by RX300-BV
I prefer the all leather steering wheel over the wood/leather combo. I also prefer the wood trim over the aluminum looks. It would be nice if Lexus gave you the option of the metal or the wood trim.
Agreed - although the wood wheel looks rich the all-leather is more comfortable and better for driving.

Regarding the trim, is the aluminum real, or is it a plastic disguised to look like aluminum? This is what I've read, although I must say that it's a very good imitation as I didn't notice that it's fake during our test drive.
Old 05-25-03, 11:10 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

I've got the ivory interior and the sort of light-gold metallic finish seems to be ok with it as well as the light gold (Savannagh metallic) of the exterior.

I'm 5-10 and I have found a steering wheel setting that (just) allows me to see everything, but yes, I can see how some drivers would have to compromise or have the wheel cover some of the instrumentation.

BIGGEST PEEVEs: too much clutter in the centre dash area. Try as I might I could not find a place to bolt my cell phone mount. After driving a few years in a car with a column-shifter, I miss the amount of additional leg room and space under the centre of the dash that is now taken up by the shifter.
Old 05-25-03, 02:33 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Column shifter? Do they still make these?

With the sliding center console Lexus did about as much as they could do to maximize room and flexibility in the center dash area, IMO. A column shifter would have been a deal-breaker for me.
Old 05-25-03, 03:22 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Originally posted by JRB
Column shifter? Do they still make these?

With the sliding center console Lexus did about as much as they could do to maximize room and flexibility in the center dash area, IMO. A column shifter would have been a deal-breaker for me.
Yep, column-shifter. 97-2001 Honda CRV. Allowed a couple more storage bins, one bin cleverly hidden for things such as the faceplate for a car stereo, and slide out cup holders. The additional space also allowed enough room for someone to slip back and forth between the driver and passenger seat. [Why would you want to do this? E.g. you're in a long parked and wait situation and you want to scoot across to the passenger side to give yourself more room...and it's pouring rain outside].

Don't knock the column-shifter thing until you've seen the advantages. After having the CRV, I don't know what is taking up all the room where cars use to have big transmission humps. I'm sure there's no longer a transmission there. There was nice and roomy sense "down there" where your feet are in the CRV that most other cars do not have.