RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

If I want a vibrator, I'll buy my own.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 10:31 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs down If I want a vibrator, I'll buy my own.

Took my new RX330 in for service. . . . .and . . .when I have a bit more time tomorrow, I'll post the update. The dash, the glove box, the sun visors . . .the steering column, the brake pedal . . all vibrate at RPM's of 2,000. This was demonstated to my dealership. They acknowledge a problem with "harmonics." First time I've ever heard this term applied to a vehicle. They claim that the underside of the vehicle is effected by this. I want my money back. I've owned two previous RX300's . . never a single complaint. More on the dealership tomorrow. More on the fact that the service manager does not return phone calls. I am now dealing with the general sales manager.

Separately, I took a quick peek on the GX 470 forum. Interesting: There are many many posting re: vibration problems. Check it out. My reason for going to that forum is that I was considering an exchange for this vehicle. Not any more. I want a full return of my money. Advice to all prospective buyers: Be sure to drive the actual car you are considering buying/leasing prior to signing any contract. Peter
Old 04-23-03, 11:18 PM
bububee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a bummer but do you think you may have gotten a lemon? I wish you the best of luck in trying to deal with whichever dealer you bought from and I want to share my experience with Mission Viejo Lexus. I had a few problems when I got my '99 RX. They were the gas gauge never read a full reading even with "topping off" it was always a notch below, the sunroof make a high pitch creak, and the car always pulled to the left after my 1000 mile service. I didn't pursue it believing that they were new production flaws.

My mom also has a '98 GS300 with again a creaky sunroof and vibration in the steering at 65+mph. She was flying to Japan several years ago and the person sitting next to her was one of the top mechanics at Lexus. Apparently Lexus has a group of these guys who are flown to Japan and are especially trained so that they can train and assist the mechanics at the dealerships in the U.S.

The guy, Charlie, gave my mom his card and agreed to oversee both our cars when he returned from his trip. Sure enough he met me at Mission Viejo Lexus, told me replacing the central computer chip would fix everything except the sunroof which was a known problem and could be fixed. Too bad for me the chip was on backorder. Two weeks later after it came in and was reprogrammed for my mileage I got my car back.

I drove it one block and the car shuddered at the signal light. Thinking it was strange I pulled into the next shopping plaza and right in the middle of a four way stop the car seized up. I couldn't get it started and someone had to help me push it out of the way. I called Mission Viejo Lexus and they told me I had to call the Lexus roadside assistance. I was like I just left your dealer not 5 minutes ago and I'm a block away but they said they had no drivers to pick me up since it was near closing, yet there were at least 10 people there when I left!
About 45 minutes later a flat bed tow truck arrivied and dropped me and my car off at the dealer. They took the car back and Charlie called me several days later to report the car started up just fine and to make extra sure he test drove my car 200+ miles!!!

Needless to say I was livid. So I went to pick up the car and as I put it in drive I noticed the "D" light was not lit in the instrument panel. I put it right back into park and told the service guy. What does he tell me? Oh all the RX models come that way, the "D" light doesn't come on. Its normal.
We eneded up arguing that point and he had a driver bring out another one to prove me wrong. When they (several had joined in the arguement against me) discovered I was right, I got no apology and they called the mechanic who "replaced" the chip to talk with me, not upon my request. They were trying to pass the buck. He was Korean and didn't speak a lick of English, I know this because I am half Japanese, and what does he do? Says that its not his fault and the light was probably loose and started banging on the instrument panel. Like that is going to fix it! They told me it was safe to drive home and to call back to make an appointment for repair. I put my foot down right there and said take this back, bring out the loaner, and drop the car off at my work when its done.

The general manager called me and apolgized profusely. He had a full 15k service performed, detailed my car, and delivered it personally at my work. From then the gas gauge still does not register a full tank from time to time, but the other problems were fixed. However the newest annoyance? My tailights keep going out, not the bulb, for some reason the connection is bad and I constantly have to remove the panel and fiddle with it until it works. I dare not take it to Mission as I'm afraid they'd screw things up even more. SInce that whole ordeal, I've taken my car to a private mechanic that was recommended to me and have never had any problem since.

I am considering buying the RX330 which I swore I would never buy another Lexus but here I am about to buy another!

Last edited by bububee; 04-23-03 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 12:07 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Re: If I want a vibrator, I'll buy my own.

Originally posted by Peterun
Took my new RX330 in for service. . . . .and . . .when I have a bit more time tomorrow, I'll post the update. The dash, the glove box, the sun visors . . .the steering column, the brake pedal . . all vibrate at RPM's of 2,000. This was demonstated to my dealership. They acknowledge a problem with "harmonics." First time I've ever heard this term applied to a vehicle. They claim that the underside of the vehicle is effected by this. I want my money back. I've owned two previous RX300's . . never a single complaint. More on the dealership tomorrow. More on the fact that the service manager does not return phone calls. I am now dealing with the general sales manager.

Separately, I took a quick peek on the GX 470 forum. Interesting: There are many many posting re: vibration problems. Check it out. My reason for going to that forum is that I was considering an exchange for this vehicle. Not any more. I want a full return of my money. Advice to all prospective buyers: Be sure to drive the actual car you are considering buying/leasing prior to signing any contract. Peter
Hope your dealer will take care of the problem ... but for us (me at least) can you expand on vibration at 2000rpm. I assume that your vehicle is in PARK and it is not due to wheel roation or road.

Here is a brief engine harmonics 101

RX are equiped with engine mounts which counter-act the engine harmonics.(Electronically the mounts vibrate to cancel the engine vibrations. Other vehicles have just the rubber mounts). This could be bad.

The crank shaft has a harmonic balancer to even out the kicks from the combustion/power_stroke of the piston. If one or more cylender do not fire (fuel injection or spark) the engine vibrates.

Last of all, if the break-in period driving restraints are not followed, the engine develops a sweet spot and and at other rpms the engine vibrates a BIT.(seems unlikely in your case as the vibes are high).

Salim
Old 04-24-03, 12:51 AM
scooby doo
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Peterun

May want to suggest to your dealership to change the motormounts with higher quality product. I suppose the Lexus engineers have developed something quieter for '05. Sorry to here the 330 is not as perfect as the 300.

Scoob
Old 04-24-03, 06:42 AM
laterldf
Driver School Candidate

Wink air "harmonics" (?)

Have you noticed that the new RX 330's have two small stiff flaps protruding down from under the front bumper? I was told that these were designed to disperse (?) the air from around the front tires to improve the aero dynamics of the car. Wonder if this could contribute to engine vibration? But it certainly hasn't in my case. . .No vibration is noticeable at all. And the transmission does seem to be shifting smoother (@1500 miles) but it was never troublesome. later, ldf RX330 AWD
Old 04-24-03, 08:13 PM
MellonC
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by bububee
Its a bummer but do you think you may have gotten a lemon? I wish you the best of luck in trying to deal with whichever dealer you bought from and I want to share my experience with Mission Viejo Lexus. I had a few problems when I got my '99 RX. They were the gas gauge never read a full reading even with "topping off" it was always a notch below, the sunroof make a high pitch creak, and the car always pulled to the left after my 1000 mile service. I didn't pursue it believing that they were new production flaws.

My mom also has a '98 GS300 with again a creaky sunroof and vibration in the steering at 65+mph. She was flying to Japan several years ago and the person sitting next to her was one of the top mechanics at Lexus. Apparently Lexus has a group of these guys who are flown to Japan and are especially trained so that they can train and assist the mechanics at the dealerships in the U.S.

The guy, Charlie, gave my mom his card and agreed to oversee both our cars when he returned from his trip. Sure enough he met me at Mission Viejo Lexus, told me replacing the central computer chip would fix everything except the sunroof which was a known problem and could be fixed. Too bad for me the chip was on backorder. Two weeks later after it came in and was reprogrammed for my mileage I got my car back.

I drove it one block and the car shuddered at the signal light. Thinking it was strange I pulled into the next shopping plaza and right in the middle of a four way stop the car seized up. I couldn't get it started and someone had to help me push it out of the way. I called Mission Viejo Lexus and they told me I had to call the Lexus roadside assistance. I was like I just left your dealer not 5 minutes ago and I'm a block away but they said they had no drivers to pick me up since it was near closing, yet there were at least 10 people there when I left!
About 45 minutes later a flat bed tow truck arrivied and dropped me and my car off at the dealer. They took the car back and Charlie called me several days later to report the car started up just fine and to make extra sure he test drove my car 200+ miles!!!

Needless to say I was livid. So I went to pick up the car and as I put it in drive I noticed the "D" light was not lit in the instrument panel. I put it right back into park and told the service guy. What does he tell me? Oh all the RX models come that way, the "D" light doesn't come on. Its normal.
We eneded up arguing that point and he had a driver bring out another one to prove me wrong. When they (several had joined in the arguement against me) discovered I was right, I got no apology and they called the mechanic who "replaced" the chip to talk with me, not upon my request. They were trying to pass the buck. He was Korean and didn't speak a lick of English, I know this because I am half Japanese, and what does he do? Says that its not his fault and the light was probably loose and started banging on the instrument panel. Like that is going to fix it! They told me it was safe to drive home and to call back to make an appointment for repair. I put my foot down right there and said take this back, bring out the loaner, and drop the car off at my work when its done.

The general manager called me and apolgized profusely. He had a full 15k service performed, detailed my car, and delivered it personally at my work. From then the gas gauge still does not register a full tank from time to time, but the other problems were fixed. However the newest annoyance? My tailights keep going out, not the bulb, for some reason the connection is bad and I constantly have to remove the panel and fiddle with it until it works. I dare not take it to Mission as I'm afraid they'd screw things up even more. SInce that whole ordeal, I've taken my car to a private mechanic that was recommended to me and have never had any problem since.

I am considering buying the RX330 which I swore I would never buy another Lexus but here I am about to buy another!
That dealer has problems. In fact I think I had the same mechanic come out and that dude didn't speak any English either. But I think he was Japanese, though....

In anycase I don't take my car to the dealer. If I ever go, I bring one or two specific items like Timing Belt or Alternator fix.....
Old 04-25-03, 01:40 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: If I want a vibrator, I'll buy my own.

When i bought my RX, all i cared about was price, i go in, made my offer, picked it up the next day. Never driven it, and never seen MY car until i left the dealer in it. I guess im lucky, but after a year of owning the car i have to say im developing some little rattles, but i think thats a natural aging process. Plus i have 19s on 50 series tires which isnt good for avoiding rattles anyway. But what i want to say is, I make sure my car is washed 5 times a week, waxed every month, so my car basically gets no scratches and stays perfect and i follow the factory service schedule. But i love to abuse my RX, i fly over bumps, redline the engine whenever traffice permits, take corners like im in a bimmer.....etc etc The only thing i dont use as much are the brakes, but other than that i make sure i REALLY DRIVE my sled. I dont take it easy and i dont pu$$y foot it. Its not like im gonna keep it past 4 years or something. If it rattles and u cant stand it, take it back to the dealer and yell at them.

Took my new RX330 in for service. . . . ...
Old 04-25-03, 07:31 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Thumbs down Update . . . REPORTING IN . . . .

Still in the loan car . . . RX330 is still at the dealership. Service person phoned yesterday. Stated that "new sun visors and a glove box door were ordered." He claimed that Lexus was aware of the vibration problem. He claimed it may be within their limits of acceptablility. My response: The "problem" is NOT within the limits of this consumer's acceptability. I understood that this was not an issue the service person could deal with. Rest assured, I will not be part of their experiment, their in-service with this new vehicle.

New visors and a new glove box door are going to fix this problem? How wierd. And stupid. Again, the vibration can be felt through the floorboards into the steering wheel, brake pedal, etc. This vehicle sounds as though it may take off on a runway when it's started from cold and the baseline rpm's are computer elevated. Will be handed over to my lawyer, if I am not "unwound." Not happy with the car . . . less happy with the service. Not pleased to hear the United Auto Group general service manager leave a voice mail for me: "You're the only one out of fifty deliveries with a complaint." That really comforts me. Lexus service is great when all is well. It falls apart . . .their handling of consumers falls apart when they're given a problem without a known solution.

I talked with my salesman who has sold me a few Lexus' . . . . . "We're not going to make you keep a car you're not happy with." My offer was take another RX330 providing the vibration/harmonics PROBLEM is not there. Perhaps a different configuration? AWD rather than FWD? Let's see if Mr. Mayer's sincere concerns find their way to management.

I buy a lot of vehicles through United. . . . and refer many people, friends, business associates. I may have to think about redirecting my business to a more consumer oriented organization. Peter
Old 04-25-03, 10:46 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: Update . . . REPORTING IN . . . .

Again, the vibration can be felt through the floorboards into the steering wheel, brake pedal, etc. This vehicle sounds as though it may take off on a runway when it's started from cold and the baseline rpm's are computer elevated.
I'm definely not experiencing this in my AWD 330. I'd try another 330 and see if it does it . If it doesn't, then you can at least show them that it's not normal.

John
Old 04-25-03, 10:50 AM
marke1
Driver School Candidate

Peterun,
Have you tried test driving another FWD RX at the dealer to see if
you notice the same problem?

Mark
Old 04-25-03, 09:11 PM
RX300SS
Driver School Candidate

Question Vibration

Does it have the stock alloys or aftermarket wheels and tires, did they check to see if it may be a balancing problem with the tires/wheels?
Old 04-28-03, 09:44 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Default Update . . .

My RX330 was rock steady . . .definately not a tire, alignment, or tracking problem. Strictly the harmonics and balance of the engine. Dealership took back the car. Returning my costs, less tax and plates, which I am fighting. Peter
Old 04-29-03, 11:33 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default If I want a vibrator, I'll buy my own.

Peter,

Hi there. Seems like you're all out here on your own on this topic.

However, I was in the parking lot of a shopping center observing a new RX330 when the owner walked up and we began chit-chatting about the RXs, then he told me, he's not happy due to the vibration issues he's encountered with it. He said his previous 300 was vibration FREE, he took it back to the dealer and it was confirmed that the 330s ( his RX and others on the lot ) did vibrate excessively. He also said that Lexus is aware of it and is working on a fix?

So Peter, you may actually be on to something. As a matter of fact, as soon as I got home I logged onto CL to research this topic, and hence my post!

I think this is an interesting post that we should all continue to follow-up on! Those of you who is
vibration free at this point, may need to rely on this post in the future.........so keep an open mind that Peter just may be onto something.

Regards all,

Sheldon
Old 04-29-03, 11:58 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree that the 330 is "buzzier" than the 300. i traded an '01 RX300 for the new 330, and yes, the 300 was very smooth and not as "buzzy". with a new 5-speed 3.3L engine, the 330 is bound to ride and feel a little differently than the 300.

but i think most of us are wondering what this "vibration" feels like. i sense the slight "buzz", but by no means do i feel it in the floor, brake pedal, steering wheel and into my seat. my visors and glovebox don't rattle either.

i definitely think that there might be a few 330's out there with complications such as Peter's, but it's like the GX - some people have reported nothing at all. it is very strange, but hopefully Lexus will pinpoint this quickly and let us all know what is normal vs. abnormal. if there's anything out there to make this car even better than it is, by all means, let us have it!
Old 04-29-03, 01:02 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default If I want a vibrator, I'll buy my own.

Peter,

Hi there. Seems like you're all out here on your own on this topic.

However, I was in the parking lot of a shopping center observing a new RX330 when the owner walked up and we began chit-chatting about the RXs, then he told me, he's not happy due to the vibration issues he's encountered with it. He said his previous 300 was vibration FREE, he took it back to the dealer and it was confirmed that the 330s ( his RX and others on the lot ) did vibrate excessively. He also said that Lexus is aware of it and is working on a fix?

So Peter, you may actually be on to something. As a matter of fact, as soon as I got home I logged onto CL to research this topic, and hence my post!

I think this is an interesting post that we should all continue to follow-up on! Those of you who is
vibration free at this point, may need to rely on this post in the future.........so keep an open mind that Peter just may be onto something.

Regards all,

Sheldon

Quick Reply: If I want a vibrator, I'll buy my own.