RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 07:45 PM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoat?

J4 - you made me think of this when you reminded me of my decision between Flint Mica and Black Onyx. It's too late for me to call Customer Service tonight and I don't think I'd trust the info that they give me anyway...

Can anyone tell me which colors on the 330 are NOT clearcoated, if any?

Thought I'd finally decided on black but the possibility of no c/c makes me nervous. I hadn't heard anything specific about this with the Lex but I know that sometimes the non-metallics are not c/c'd.

Appreciate any insight into this...
Old 04-24-03, 08:08 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

I'll add my own response!

Lexus Cust Service says Black Onyx is the ONLY color that is not clearcoated - every other color is. They say it detracts from the rich color of the black. I have no reason to not believe them as I think other mfgs do the same thing.

I have absolutely ZERO knowledge about what a non-clearcoated vehicle is like - should I expect more "serious issues" with non-c/c. I know black is more work in general, but I'm going to have this puppy likely for more than 5 years and I don't want to end up with faded scratchball if you know what I mean!

TIA
Old 04-29-03, 08:36 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by cfisher
I have absolutely ZERO knowledge about what a non-clearcoated vehicle is like - should I expect more "serious issues" with non-c/c. I know black is more work in general, but I'm going to have this puppy likely for more than 5 years and I don't want to end up with faded scratchball if you know what I mean!
I've never owned a Black non-clearcoat car, so I can't comment on how well they wear. There is a short thread in the Care and Maintenance area though.

John
Old 04-30-03, 12:17 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here. I've never owned a black car that didn't have clear, nor any car that didn't have clear coat. The difference between a clear coat and non clear coat is you can get some surface scratches in the clear (Swirl marks) and buff them out. You are actually removing some of the clera coat and smoothing out the scratches so they are no longer noticable. On a non clear coat car the scratch is directly on the color pigment paint. I believe in the older days non clear coat paints were normal because the paint contained lead which made it more durable. I didn't even know any modern car came without clear. Oxidation will also show faster on non clear coated paints. I'm no paint expert but I rather have a clear coated car. If it is true that that Black Onyx is not clear coated I say is is a waste because it doesn't appear any deeper or richer than other black clear coated cars. An easy way to find out one way or the othe is if your polish rag turns black after you wax your car. This is all just my opinion.
Old 04-30-03, 06:03 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

...And in yet another split between what my salesman says and what Lex Cust Serv says...

My salesman insists that the Black is clearcoated...

Go Figure...guess I'll have to take a can of wax to the dealership and see for myself...