RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

1000 miles . . .RX330 reporting in . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 09:39 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Angry 1000 miles . . .RX330 reporting in . . . .

The initial seduction of this new vehicle is over. . . . and I'm settling in to getting over the seduction of the shear gorgeousness of this car. Yes, the blue lit cupholders and soft lighting is terrific. Yes, the new highly shortened turning radius is a vast, much needed (and requested) improvement. BUT . . . this new engine is so very buzzy. So singularly unsatisfying. My glove box predictably rattles, vibrates, even at idle under certain conditions. There is so much vibration at specific rpm's. The sun visors vibrate against the roof liner. The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel, brake pedal, etc.. Separately, the new 5 speed automatic, compared to the older RX300's 4 speed, is constantly hunting for the right gear . . and shift changes are hardly smooth.

I am taking the RX330 back to the dealership on Weds. for its 1,000 mile inspection. My doubts are great that any of the above can be corrected as ALL of the new RX's vibrate this way. Mine is the FWD version. I drove several of them, even one at the ride and drive in Malibu.

My rationale for purchasing one immediately was that I specifically wanted one that was made at the Japanese plant. If I had taken delivery of this vehicle and it had been manufactured in the U.S. or Canada, I'd have what to say.

Summary: Yep, this is one gorgeous SUV. And yes, that remote rear door is just great. Works perfectly. The interior is well executed, the A/C, with it's separate digital controls is a joy. There are many plus' and corrections which were made, having owned the previous version - several of them. BUT this engine . . . is so very "unLexus-like." It's a noun, not an adjective. The "buzziness," vibration, noise . . . cheap, unrefined noise (not "porsche-like," highly tuned engine type noise), takes this vehicle down to a much lower level, IMO. Drive the Honda Pilot . . . Drive the Acura MD-X. The seat comfort, engine, transmission: far, far superior to the RX 330. The 5 speed automatic in these two SUV's is silky smooth, adaptive, and knows precisely when to shift. Unlike the RX330. My two cents. I'll address all questions. Peter
Old 04-20-03, 01:46 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear of your 1k problems - it does sound like yours may be a little off. i don't sense any vibration in the steering wheel, brake pedal, etc. and the glove box and sun visors don't rattle at all. (i have the AWD model though, if that makes any difference.) i do have this very irritating rattle coming from the overhead DVD console, and i'm about to tear the thing down - it's driving me nuts.

i do agree w/ the engine's "buzziness" and the sometimes jerky shift changes, especially from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, most jerky in slow-moving freeway traffic. but other than that, i don't feel the gear "hunting" like other owners have (particularly in 4th/5th gears) . i did try my first full tank of premium 91 octane fuel this time around, and i may be dreaming, but it feels like the gear changes are slightly smoother. it's hard to say though. i started off with mid fuel (89 octane) for the first 3-4 tanks, and i wanted to see if 91 would change anything. i could be "wishing" too hard though, so i can't be certain if this smoother gear change is really happening or not.

i have not driven the MDX or Pilot, but now i'm curious to see how they sound. it's not going to make me love this car any less, but maybe it will leave a little more to be desired.

i also never got an opportunity to go to the Luxury Redefined event . . . did you notice the same things in the test RX's back then? or do you think you only started to notice it after owning the car for a while?

let us know how the techs respond at the service - i'm very interested in hearing their responses to your concerns . . . thanks!
Old 04-20-03, 05:55 AM
laterldf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1k + report

We have about 1500 miles on our AWD 330. The only engine noise very noticeable is a clicking type sound that the service people said was "normal" and came from the fuel injectors. (I noticed the same sound in the RX 300 loaner cars). There are NO rattles, clanks, vibration noises, or other bothersome quirks or flaws but I think the road/air noise is too pronounced--but we have the 18' tires (noisier than the 17') and our roof rack rail was replaced because it looked like it was sprung on one end and produced a gap between the rail end and the rubber seal. No problems with the transmission shifting, etc. We're quite pleased with our RX330 and especially enjoy it's comforts on the highway. The rear camera and tilt-down mirrors when backing up are now a "must have" on any future vehicles. later, ldf
Old 04-20-03, 07:30 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Responding . . . .

Yes, again, I felt I was seduced by this new vehicle . . .the gadgets, the lighting, the lux. I left out the fact that it gets great gas mileage for an SUV of this weight and size. Friends see it, sit in it, and never fail to "ooh and ah." I also keep a Honda Pilot in Vancouver, Canada. I had that truck here in California and drove it to Vancouver when the RX330 arrived. How can I fairly compare them? The Pilot is heavy on the plastic . . . and solid brushed aluminum trim. Its interior is leather . . . . even the long door arm supports. Its air conditioning is immediate; its ride very controlled and stable; its engine runs on regular, octane 87; it seats 8 comfortably. And that engine . . . is a gem. SMOOTH, steady, quiet. The transmission suits this truck perfectly. As though it was designed around the vehicle. The Pilot's first service will be at 7,500 miles. It has never been back for a single problem. Not even the slightest complaint. And as a footnote, its MSRP was almost $9,000 less than the RX.

No, I do not think the engine vibration is my RX specific. I've driven three of them . . .all of them have what I deam to be major engine vibration transmission at certain RPM's. There is no comparison between this new engine and the engine it replaces. I might be able to co-exist with the RX330. It has some wonderful features. It's a big disappointment though. My take. And one more note: My neighbor, looking for an SUV for her dogs . . loved my RX . . . drove it . . . .and IMMEDIATELY reacted to the vibration: "What the hell is that?" She ended up buying the new Volvo XC90. Six cyl. version. I drove that too. Great seats. Period. My take: Acura MD/X for more lux. Or the Honda Pilot. Peter
Old 04-20-03, 12:08 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Just out of curiosity, but do you guys schedule your service based on your mileage or the 1 month, 6 month?
Old 04-20-03, 12:29 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I have always serviced my vehicles based on mileage.
Old 04-20-03, 05:43 PM
jayskinner
Driver

I fell in love with the looks too. I drove a 2001 Highlander for almost a year, traded it on a Honda Pilot, which was quieter, quicker off the line, and had a better factory sound system than the Highlander. I lost a few amenities going from the Highlander to the Pilot, like heated seats and mirrors. In the Pilot, once I got the power seat button situated so that the seat bolster doesn't touch it and lower the seat when I swing my left leg out to get out, it's been a wonderful vehicle. But that seat constantly moving had been driving me crazy.

Having test driven a 330 for about 30 minutes, I must say it's a fine vehicle as well. I'd love to be able to have one of each. The Pilot for the zip-zip sportiness with the VTEC engine, wider stance, and higher seating position; the RX for the refined cabin, great exterior looks, power rear door and touring sedan feel.

I'd resigned myself to keeping the Pilot a while longer, and following the development of the RX while I sort out my wants, needs and lusts. I hope the original poster's issues are resoved satisfactorily, and I'm looking forward to posting as a Lexus owner instead of a lurker at some point in the future.
Old 04-21-03, 06:25 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: Responding . . . .

Originally posted by Peterun
And one more note: My neighbor, looking for an SUV for her dogs . . loved my RX . . . drove it . . . .and IMMEDIATELY reacted to the vibration: "What the hell is that?" She ended up buying the new Volvo XC90. Six cyl. version. I drove that too. Great seats. Period. My take: Acura MD/X for more lux. Or the Honda Pilot. Peter
Can you explain this vibration? When does it occur? I feel absolutely no vibration in my 330, so I'm curious. I've also had alot of people drive and ride in the 330 and no one has commented about a vibration. It's very smooth. I'd have your dealer check it out again if I were you...

The Volvo was on my short list. Nice vehicle, but the ride and engine on the 330 were alot better. Never drove a Pilot. To bland for me.

John
Old 04-21-03, 10:39 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i've been observing very carefully these past few days - i really don't sense any vibration. it's actually very smooth in the wheel and seat. no comments from my passengers either - the same ones that i used to truck around in my RX300.

the gear changes seem to be less noticeable now. i can't help but wonder if this is a premium 91 vs. super 89 octane issue. (i'm on my second tank of premium) but i also didn't get as good gas mileage on the premium. too early to tell what is going on - does anyone else have any comments on gas selection and fuel economy?
Old 04-21-03, 11:05 AM
laterldf
Driver School Candidate

We got about 23 mpg on a 500 mile trip a couple of weeks ago using 91 premium gas. Drove steadily but at varying speeds and didn't go much over 80 mph (knowingly). later, ldf AWD 330
Old 04-23-03, 10:20 PM
bububee
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb RE: 1000 miles

I've been debating on buying the RX330. I saw it at the L.A. Auto show and was 100% sure I was going to get it the minute they were available. Of course that was all impulse and I started to remember all the little irritating problems I had when I bought my current '99 RX. I've researched since Febuary, reading reports and forum posts, still undecided!

I finally took a test drive and was disappointed to hear the engine roar. No doubt it is louder but I never bought my first RX for the quiet engine specifically. I did experience the transmission "hunting" from 1st to 2nd and 2nd from 3rd. I confronted the sales person and he said that the electronically controlled accelerator which uses a sensor, not a cable like in the RX300, and must learn your driving style in order shift smoothly.

He said that there is a break in period (about 600 miles) of regulated driving and then choppy shifting should stop once the computer has gotten enough information from a consistent driving style.
When I drove it seemed pretty bad. I don't know what to make of his story but it sounds better than what another salesman said which was its because the car has more torque! Thoughts anyone?
Old 04-24-03, 01:03 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

that is very interesting to me. i do feel like the hunting and choppy gear changes have gotten considerably better (i mean, less noticeable) since picking up the car. i've thought it might be the gas or something, but maybe it is "learning". but again, it could all be wishful thinking. i'm at 4 weeks and 1600 miles on the new car.

i drive home every day in the same traffic on the freeway. i initially experienced the 1st to 2nd gear indecisiveness there, and it used to be pretty irritating. but today, i was in the same traffic, but it has gotten much less choppy, and in fact, it seems to stay in one gear or the other longer rather than jump back and forth.

so maybe your salesman has something there. we'll have to wait for other reports and more time on the road to see if this is truly the case.

another point - it seems to be that a lot of the complaints/concerns have been coming from first-gen RX owners who traded in for the 330. i'm one of them, so i can't help but also think that your salesman's comments on the electronically controlled vs. cable might be why we are all so "sensitive" to this drastic change.
Old 04-29-03, 10:09 PM
bububee
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Well I took the plunge and traded in my '99 RX for a silver/black 2WD 330! The car had almost 400 miles on it because it was being driven by the sales manager who lived in Palm Springs or something. I was wary towards buying one with some miles but the desire to get it now got the best of me and I was able to test drive it thoroughly (100 miles) before making my desicion. I also met the guy who drove it the few days and he is near retirement and probably didn't drive the car erratically.
To my surprise I have not experienced any hesitation with the shifting! Nothing like when I test drove the brand spanking new ones. I'm starting to think my salesman was right. Or I drive like a nearly retired salesmanager! Either way I am absoulutely happy with the car so far. The only thing is today I tried the one touch auto sunroof and my one auto mode isn't engaging no matter how long I hold the button. Have you experienced this?
Old 04-29-03, 11:13 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

the moonroof hasn't been programmed yet, that's all. they either forgot to do it, or didn't know how. here's the quick fix:

with the moonroof closed, use the slide button to open the moonroof. once it is open all the way, KEEP ON HOLDING the slide button for an additional 10 seconds. then let it go and start closing the moonroof. once it is closed all the way, HOLD for 10 seconds. then let the slide button go and voila - your slide button AND tilt buttons are one-touch programmed. enjoy!
Old 04-30-03, 06:57 PM
Jedi
Driver School Candidate

Smile FWD = problem?

I have been reading this post and a few others on this topic from various areas, and what I consistently hear is that these problems are from owners of the FWD version. Anyone else think this? I test drove an AWD RX 330 with the performance package and did not notice any vibration issue, albiet a short drive to test a new car.
The only thing I noticed was more of a firm ride, compared to the MDX I tested and that the engine didn't seem to have as much get up and go as I had expect, although I wasn't getting hard into the accelerator.
Ya know what they say.....opinions are like asses, everyone has one!

Quick Reply: 1000 miles . . .RX330 reporting in . . . .