RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Updates for the next RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 11:00 AM
light
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates for the next RX

Hey all,

As the first RX rolls out, I'm pretty sure that the folks back in Caly and Japan are arleady thinking up the additions they are going to add on in a couple of years. Any idea of what they might be?. Here are my picks, although the current RX has almost 99% of everything i could want in a vehicle

1) The coin box feature is better addressed
2) Map lights which I hear so many complain about
3) A cooler in the glovebox like the BMW mini (it might already be in the neew RX)
4) A phone handsfree phone option. Maybe this is where the additional 3 buttons on the steering wheel that are present on the japanese version will pop u[
5) Engine bloock heater and Wheel locks- did'nt read anywhere about it as an accessory to the RX that is sold by Lexus.

Thats all I can think off for now. I hope they still keep the casette player, or at least have an auxillary port to connect my mp3 player too. I chose this over a bimmer or a 4runner cause they either charge extra for it or that silly navigation window keeps folding down and won't go up cause of the wires interefere with its movement.
Old 04-17-03, 08:15 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

While we're at it, lets ask for cooled seats and a heated steering wheel!
Old 04-17-03, 08:52 PM
djm1020
Driver School Candidate

My picks for the 2005 RX330

1) Hands free/ voice activated car phone system similiar to the one that came with my '94 GS300.
2) Cool seats.
3) Heated REAR seats.
4) Satellite radio as an option.
5) Put the wood trim back on the dash.

I know the RX330 is close to perfect now but wouldn't these extra items make the RX330 the perfect car?
Old 04-17-03, 09:45 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

How about LED's for all lighting?
Old 04-17-03, 11:44 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

I think these are no-brainers...

1) Front AUX Input into stereo for a MP3 player like the iPod
2) Make CD player able to read CD-RWs
3) Make the CD player able to play MP3 CDs
4) Make Rear Entertainment System able to read DVD-R DVD-RW CD-R and CD-RW
Old 04-18-03, 09:12 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

The wood trim on the dash needed to go. It is definitely something of the past and it wouldn't look the same with it on the new 330.
Old 04-18-03, 09:34 AM
light
Driver School Candidate

hmmm, never knew that the cd player could not read cd-r's or rw's.better stick with my rio till then.
Old 04-18-03, 10:21 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the CD player will play CD-R's. i don't know about CD-RW's though. (not many people use RW's anyway)

it would be nice to be able to play MP3's, i think that will be the next to come for all Lexus models

and i agree w/ anonymous - the wood trim would look bad in the center area. it would look way to gaudy. the area is just to big. they don't even do that with the LS or GS. they use the black plastic trim instead. the silver was a better option for the shape and size of that area for the new RX. black would look too plain, and wood would look too disgusting.
Old 04-18-03, 11:17 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

The CD player does play CD-Rs. The trouble is that is doesn't read CD-RWs. Many older CD players are the same way. It's relatively easy/cheap nowadays to have that feature in a CD mechanism. So quite frankly it's embarassing that a Lexus doesn't have this feature. This is supposed to be a luxury vehicle and not a Ford.

I prefer to be able to update CD-RWs with music instead of having to burn completely new CD-Rs. To assume that people don't use CD-RWs in general is simply just stupid. One reason people don't use CD-RWs is that the RX CD player can't play them. Above all this is the cheapest upgrade to make.
Old 04-18-03, 11:43 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

I agree that it would be nice to be able to play CD-RWs but I think it's all based on the age group of RX drivers from their research. I'm not sure what the average age for RX drivers is, but I'm guessing it's in the mid 30s to early 40s. I assume many of those people tend to listen to the radio more or buy their own cds. I know my parents mostly listen to the radio or buy their cds. They don't know how to burn cds and I'm sure many do not either. One of the first makes to address this issue is Acura because a significant amount of Acura drivers belong to a younger age group, therefore addressing this issue is more of a concern for them. I understand how CD-RWs are better and I don't like to burn CD-Rs all the time either, but it's not like you burn a new cd every week anyways. Plus, a pack of 50 CD-Rs is quite cheap now. I just don't agree that "it's embarrasing" for Lexus not to address this issue because I don't think it's that big of an issue.
Old 04-18-03, 12:00 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anonymous - good point.

and xsfo - i didn't mean that people don't use RW's at all. obviously they exist for a reason. i use them for my business data sometimes (but hardly ever now b/c of usb flash drives). but generally, for music, i just don't know many people who currently use RW's which cost 75 cents - $1 (in bulk), when you can just use CD-r's which cost less than 5 cents. sorry to offend if you happen to use them.

and i don't think it's "embarassing" that Lexus doesn't have this feature. i don't think the RX's main competitors have it either. it's just not out on many stock systems. someday it will be, along with MP3s, satellite radio, maybe even memory sticks, complact flash, and usb flash. who knows? i'd personally also like to see all those features in the near future, but in the meantime, i'm happy with what i've got. besides, as of today, is not reading RW's a deal breaker for car buyers in the end? i doubt it.

sorry to digress . . .
Old 04-18-03, 01:04 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Default MP3 is a serious omission

I agree that CDRW is not a big deal.

However MP3s on CDs is now and has been for a while a fairly well supported technology and for Lexus, on a brand new model and thus the opportunity to show more leadership, not to offer that IS embarassing.

Yes, most buyers of the RX won't know how to download and burn them to CD.

But the dumb thing for Lexus is that ALL major manufacturers of car stereos would have that technology. And it would have been a conscious decision on Lexus' part to NOT make that available. Was it the fault of bean-counters? It should not have cost more than $30 (to Lexus) for the stereo to have this capability.

For those who do not know, MP3 is technology that compresses music, as much as 10-to-1 without signficant loss in quality.

And thus while there is some fuss and cachet made out of having or not having a 6-disc CD changer, an MP3 capabable deck would allow you to have the contents of perhaps TEN CDs on a single CD. And have rapid access to every song on all those "ten" CDs without the CD player having internally swap discs around.
Old 04-18-03, 01:51 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

I agree that wood on the dash would not look great...but does the PLASTIC resembling aluminum look much better?? I wish they would have used real aluminum.....
Old 04-18-03, 03:28 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Originally posted by 330wannabe
I agree that wood on the dash would not look great...but does the PLASTIC resembling aluminum look much better?? I wish they would have used real aluminum.....
It's all about preference. I don't miss the wood in my `00 RX at all. The silver look really appeals to me and it shows more class and sophistication to me. Many people on this forum say they like the wood more, but to me it gets boring to look at after a while.
Old 04-18-03, 04:46 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Talking seats

Hey they already have heated seats, and power seats, even power lumbar, it wouldn't take much to make the seats...

...MASSAGE CHAIR SEATS!

That would be so sweet, getting a heated massage while you drive

Quick Reply: Updates for the next RX