RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 Query

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 05:35 PM
light
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 330 Query

Hi all,

Thinking about buying one of those new crossover utes and i've short-listed it down to the 330 and the MDX. I plan to buy a 330 4x4 (AWD)with the premium/navigation package according to the website that should cost nearly $48'000. I saw the 330 at the autoshow here but they had closed it off to the public and the reps were'nt very useful so here goes...

a) In some pictures, I have seen the transmission as a sort of manu-matic, where u can play around as a manual shifters and not in other photos. Is there an option for that I can go for, or is it standard when u get a performance package or part of the 4x4 transmission?

b)What kind of lightining does the 330 have?. The MDX has this neat theatre lighting and just curious if the 330 just goes off an on or dims.

c) Does it have central locking or a facility where the doors lock once you hit 5mph like the 3 series coupes?

d) Is the 6 disc still availible with the navigation package?

e)I heard rumours that the performance package and the lexus link option were not going to be available for at least this year. Anybody can verify that?

f) Lexus never made any mention of this so just want to double check but i'm probably sure they have these : coin holder box, sunglass holder, side pockets on the door.

g)Where is the cruise control button?. Is it now a lever or does the radar or laser cruise control do it automatically somehow and finally

h)Is the armrest at the back also serve as the cupholders or are they in the sliding console where the driver and passengers holders are?

Thanks for your help in my purchase.
Old 04-14-03, 06:55 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Let me answer a few that I know off-hand. I'll leave the rest to seasoned RX330 owners.

b) Yes, the lights dim. When the interior lights go off they will dim down and turn off; the do not just go from on to off. While we're on the subject of lighting, the MDX does not yet offer xenon headlights whereas the RX does. A big plus in my book.

d) 6-disc is still available with the navi. It has moved from the glovbox cartridge in the RX300 to 6-disc in-dash on the RX330.

f) coin holder box: in a way, sunglass holder: yes, side pockets on the door: yes

g) The cruise control button should be business as usual with the Toyota style stick. With the laser cruise control you will get added automatic features, but will loose none of the manual cruise features.

h) The wooden part of the rear console/armrest will open up to two cupholders.
Old 04-14-03, 07:16 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here it goes - somebody please correct me if anything sounds inaccurate . . .

(a) that e-shift is part of the performance package only - you can't get it without that package. and i'm not sure if it varies by region, but in the west region (well california at least), performance pkg is only available on AWD models. i'm not sure if that goes for Ohio as well. you can figure that out by building your RX on the lexus website.

(b) not sure what you mean by lighting - if you mean lighting while driving, no, there is none. the lights have auto dimming upon entry and exit, etc., and the front cupholders are illuminated with soft blue lighting. the 3-pod cluster has soft white circular backlighting also. there are no reading lights for rear passengers. the lighting on the sun visors have a dimming switch to adjust to desired lighting. the "Lexus" logo on the doorsills is illuminated in a soft orange, which looks really nice at night.

(c) yes, there is central locking. there are a number of different programs available for setting to your individual preference. auto-lock when you shift out of park, auto-unlock when you shift back into park, auto-lock when you reach 12mph, etc. i believe there are others too, but those are your basic three.

(d) yes, 6 disc is available with navigation. they do not conflict.

(e) the only two options that i think are not available as of yet are lexus link and the dynamic laser cruise control. not sure why or when, i just haven't seen or heard of this option out there for anybody. performance is definitely out there now, but limited supply. much less production on those than other factory packages.

(f) no coin holder - actually, there isn't a "good" place for coins anywhere really. ashtrays are no longer standard either (which is good), but that method of holding your coins is also gone. sunglasses holder - yes, with a smooth retracting spring. side pockets - yes, and very nice with the tilting pull out feature so it's easier to access your stuff when it has fallen deep in there.

(g) cruise control is a small, well positioned lever, similar to all other Lexus models, mounted on the right hand side of the steering column, somewhere between 4 and 5 o'clock. very easy to use. dynamic laser is not out yet, but i'm guessing the control will be similar to the LS sedan.

(h) the rear armrest, when pulled down, sits directly on top of the middle seat. it has two compartments. a flip-up-lid which exposes two cupholders, and a small compartment good for kleenex, dvds, etc. the cupholder compartment has matching wood trim, the other compartment is cushioned leather. on another note - there are two front cupholders and also one more to the left of the steering wheel for the driver, making 5 cupholders altogether.

hope that helps, and good luck with your decision
Old 04-14-03, 07:41 PM
light
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both. Made the RX have a much clearer edge now. The Acura is nice but they don't seem as luxurious as the lexus and the 3rd row seat is pretty lousy. Ohio does have the AWD option and pretty sure I might need it after this winters downpour.

thanks again.
Old 04-20-03, 02:02 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default one minor detail

i noticed one minor feature with the lighting last night as i was driving through a very dark neighborhood. there is ever-so-slight soft orange lighting in the "footwells" for the driver and fornt passenger, and also two tiny orange lights coming from the reading light area which project downward onto the gated shifter area.

i think Lexus might have been going for similar lighthing effect as BMW, but it is extremely unnoticeable, especially if you are driving through neighborhoods with lots of street lamps. they are much softer than in the X5, but barely even there.

just wanted to add the quick correction to my earlier post.
Old 05-03-03, 08:34 PM
light
Driver School Candidate

Got another quick question:

Does the RX have a mode, similar to the 3 series where when you put the shifter in reverse, the side mirrors automatically tilt to aid the driver?

Thanks again
Old 05-03-03, 08:35 PM
eyebike
Driver

yes, both sides tilt down when transmission is in reverse and mirror switch is in the R or L position. In the bmw, only the passenger side tilts down. Also, both outside rear-view mirrors as well as the one on the windshield are auto-dimming.

Last edited by eyebike; 05-03-03 at 09:39 PM.