RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New RX330 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 07:08 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX330 Owner

Ok, ok. I'm sure I'll get ribbed now, but I'm still happy. If you've been following my postings, you'll know that I've been complaining about the limited packaging (and colors) of the performance package. I thought for sure that I had to have the performance package, no matter what. Well, bottom line is that I wasn't going to get a breakwater blue performance package anytime soon. I had to make a purchase in the next month or two - 2nd child is on his way any day now and the 2-door Avenger won't cut it.

We're replacing the wife's car, so she got to decide what she wanted. Her only criteria was an AWD Breakwater Blue with light interior. I convinced her that a dark interior would be better because of the kids and she was fine with that. Well, the dealer called Saturday and said he has a Breakwater Blue with Black Leather (he also mentioned that it was not a Performance Package since I'd been hot on that). Do we want it? I told him I'd let him know in an hour. Did a little thinking and finally decided that I could do without the Performance Package. I called back and told him yes, but I couldn't do it Saturday and probably not Monday. He calls back Monday and said he really wants to make a March sale (of course he does, April is going to be a good month so inflate March while you can). I told him what I need to make the deal (trade in value , loan percent, etc.), but told him I still can't get up there today (Monday). I sent him the paper work anyways and he called back and said ok. He actually drove the 330 to my house with all the paper work to sign and picked up the Avenger! Took delivery at 7:30pm Monday.

Ok, enough with the boring story, what about the vehicle? It's a gorgeous AWD Breakwater Blue (light blue) with Black interior. It has the Premium Plus package with Navigation/Backup Camera, HID's (auto leveling), Heated Seats (with headlamp washers and rain sensing wipers), 18" Wheels, Moon Roof, and Power Rear Door. I feel like I'm driving in a Bond car with all these gadgets.

This is my first Lexus, so I can't compare it to the RX300. I also own a Dodge Durango SLT+ (my "manly" truck), so that's my only reference. It is very smooth and quite. Solid, tight feel to everything. I've only driven it to work this morning, but I'm very impressed with the ride. I'm not testing the throttle because I'm letting it break in a bit (even though the manual says it doesn't need to be broken in). The rear and rear side visibility is definitely not good, but the rear camera and side view mirrors are very good and make up for it. It's also wider than my Durango so it feels like a tight fit in the garage. We'll probably get used to it though.

The User Manual is huge. 633 pages. The nav and maintenance manuals are 150+ pages each. The whole manual package is about 3 inches thick. It comes with 2 keys with remote, 1 valet key, and 1 wallet key. Our dealer also gave us a nice hard-back book of Bucks County (where we live).

I'll try to take some pictures this weekend. I probably won't be able to before then.

John
Old 04-01-03, 07:45 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Yep - I have been following your saga - mainly b/c it's alot like mine! Congrats on your new baby (both the one you're driving and the one on the way).

I too have decided that I can live w/o the Performance Pkg especially given the hassle in getting one out here with a Nav in IL. Still waiting for a 'fully loaded' one though in our colors Black or Flint on Black. Dealer keeps telling me, "Oh, yeah, we should have you in one by May." Even though we've explained more than once that we've got a trip the very end of May. He seems confident though...

Please post your pics when you get 'em...
Old 04-01-03, 09:03 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

This is the exact build I got (from the lexus.com website).

Base MSRP* $36,425.00
Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee† $575.00

Available Packages $6,828.00
Premium Plus Package with Additional Options
Premium Plus Package includes: 6 Disc In-Dash CD Auto Changer, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps, Power Rear Door, Roof Rails and Roof Rack, Wood & Leather Steering Wheel and Shift ****
Additional Options:
- 18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
- Cargo Mat
- Navigation System with Rear View back-up Camera and Compass
- Two-Level Heated Front Seats w/Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers and Headlamp Washers
- Wheel Locks

Accessory Options $0.00
18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels Included
6 Disc In-Dash CD Auto Changer Included
Cargo Mat Included
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps Included
Navigation System with Rear View back-up Camera and Compass Included
Power Rear Door Included
Roof Rails and Roof Rack Included
Two-Level Heated Front Seats w/Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers and Headlamp Washers Included
Wheel Locks Included
Wood & Leather Steering Wheel and Shift **** Included

Total MSRP** $43,828.00

John
Old 04-01-03, 09:15 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Congratulations!!

John - Congratulations on the new baby and your new Lexus! I am sure you will love the new RX and all the other perks that come along w/ Lexus service, etc.

Old 04-02-03, 07:54 PM
Yeowww
Driver School Candidate

Default Isn't it awesome?!!!

I just picked up mine two days ago. Not hard to rack up those miles! There are so many cool stuff that it is taking me a while to figure out everything. Mine is Mica Grey - awesome looking esp. when it has the clearcoat protection - it reflect green and blue metallic sparkles!

Questions/Notes

1) I was told that you can watch the DVD movie while in park mode on the front screen. I can't figure how to set this up. I've been over the section in the manuals several times already! Also, is there a way of setting the audio for the DVD so that is comes through the speakers, not the headphones?!!

2) Headlines - when set to Auto, it turns on automatically but not off. I have left the lights on numerous times in the evening.

3) Have yo found the coin holder yet? I am using the middle console for the moment, but it is not easy to get coins out of there!

GREAT CAR...for those that don't think that you should trade up....you should think again!
Old 04-03-03, 05:31 AM
Jennifer
Driver School Candidate

Yeoww - Is it possible for you to post some good sized pics of your Flint Mica???? I've been wait listed since the end of Feb for either Flint or Black. I think I'd prefer a metallic but I have yet to see a larger-than-postage-stamp-sized picture of the Flint!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-03-03, 06:22 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: Isn't it awesome?!!!

Originally posted by Yeowww
1) I was told that you can watch the DVD movie while in park mode on the front screen. I can't figure how to set this up. I've been over the section in the manuals several times already! Also, is there a way of setting the audio for the DVD so that is comes through the speakers, not the headphones?!!
I don't have the RSES, but I'm pretty sure you can do what your wanting to do. I didn't read that section in the manual (the Nav manual), but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in there. I'll skim it when I get a chance.

2) Headlines - when set to Auto, it turns on automatically but not off. I have left the lights on numerous times in the evening.
They should turn off automatically after a couple of minutes (can't remember the amount of time). I haven't had any problem with them. You can also turn them off yourself by hitting "Lock" on the remote twice.

3) Have yo found the coin holder yet? I am using the middle console for the moment, but it is not easy to get coins out of there!
I haven't looked for a coin holder yet, but now that you mention it, I don't think it has one. I'll look at lunch time.

John
Old 04-03-03, 08:49 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't the coin holder built into the dash, to the left of the steering wheel?
Old 04-03-03, 09:52 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Congrats on your new RX.
To watch a DVD on the Nav screen, you must have the vehicle in park with the parking brake on. With the DVD playing in the RSES, push the disc button on the audio controls on the front dash. This will transfer the sound to the speakers and display the movie on the Nav screen as well as the RSES. (If the picture does not display - press the disc button again.

The headlights have a delay Auto off feature. Once you leave and lock the vehicle the headlamps will stay on for approx. 30 seconds and then automatically turn off. You can override this feature by depressing the lock/panic button on your key TWICE. This will turn the lights off immediately.

Last edited by CDN_Lexus; 04-03-03 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-03-03, 01:44 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by dseag2
Isn't the coin holder built into the dash, to the left of the steering wheel?
I don't remember seeing a coin holder there. Maybe your thinking about the side mirror controls? When the cover is up, it looks like it could be a ashtray/coinholder, but when you pull it down it's just a cover for the controls.

John
Old 04-03-03, 01:56 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about battery life? this probably only applies to people who like to go camping, but i wonder how long you can leave the car in "on" position watching a DVD on front and rear screens, without killing the battery . . . hmmm . . .
Old 04-03-03, 06:47 PM
Yeowww
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone....

Thanks for all your inpt.
re: coin holder - is built into the arm rest on the driver door.
re: headlights - turns off when the doors are locked.

As for the movies playing on the front display...I will try that out tomorrow.

Jennifer - I will try to get some pics soon. I have seen most of the colours, and the most pleasantly surprising colour for me was the bamboo pearl. It looked like a puky metallic green on the sample, but it is very pleasant on the car!! The savanna is a light gold shade - its very nice too. Most of the new colours are nice. I got the mica flint because it was the only one available, but everyone that has seen my car likes it. Its like a metallic charcoal grey.

S
Old 04-03-03, 08:01 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

When the RX 330 is in reverse, which side mirror tilts down? Or do they both tilt down?
Old 04-04-03, 12:44 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

anonymous: The 330 I test drove, both mirrors tilted down - very cool!
Old 04-04-03, 05:44 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Default Re: Thanks everyone....

re: coin holder - is built into the arm rest on the driver door.
Are you referring to the grab handle to close the door? I guess you could use that as a coin holder (it is deep), but I don't think it was meant to be used that way. I don't think the 330 has a real coin holder.

John

Quick Reply: New RX330 Owner